2006 ls

DANRS112

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
For a rather unfortunate reason I now own a 2006 LS. I still have my 02. I could have swore that posters here said most of the problems that were associated with Gen 1s were resolved with Gen 2, especially later ones. However, in the month that I've had it I've already had one window go, the brakes are shot(pre-existing) have bad coils and it overheated and went into limp mode yesterday. Shut down, immediately restarted and engine temp was fine. Threw a code haven't ran it. Hoping it's something associated with bad coils just screwing things up. I remember something similar would happen with my 02 until I changed the coils. Who knows, maybe I'll be replacing cooling system on this one. Safe to assume same issues with Gen 1s and 2s here?

On that note, anything else I should be aware of or that isn't really a problem on these versus earlier ones?

For what it's worth, the 06 def feels like there's more power. Sounds like it to. However, it does feel heavier and not as sporty as my 02. Really like the interior quality vs the 02.

Arg, was really hoping I wouldn't have to go through everything I did with my 02 where I had to replace everything that is a known LS problem(clock springs, rear toe links, sway bar bushings etc, even had my torque converter go)

Also I noticed...Parts are REALLY hard to get for this car. I think much harder than my 02 so far anyways.

Well.
1. The window regulators are largely the same as the gen I. The failure rate is similar to the other cars that I have (Ford and BMW), and not all that bad. So far it's been about 1 per 100K+ miles for me. In the 90's I had a car that I had to replace all the regulators before 100K miles (failures started right after the warranty ended).

2. Brakes are a wear item on all cars. At 120K miles, I have replaced the pads twice and rotors once. How often you have to do depends on how and where you drive. The idea is to replace these items before you have a braking failure. (I have also replaced the slide pins even though they seemed okay. I haven't had to replace any calipers yet, but I do understand that these are wear items too and will eventually have to be replaced or rebuilt.)

3. Failure of the plastic cooling system parts on the gen II V8 is well documented. Expect to have to replace all to nearly all of them at least every 100K miles. I bought my LSes new and they have given me good, reliable service. I consider it acceptable to have to do some repairs after 8 to 10 years and 100K+ miles. If you didn't expect some maintenance and repairs, you shouldn' t have got an eight year old car.

4. The premature coil failure issue was never solved, but it was improved. They should last at least 60K miles, and may go twice that. It is what it is.

Well.
1. The window regulators are largely the same as the gen I. The failure rate is similar to the other cars that I have (Ford and BMW), and not all that bad. So far it's been about 1 per 100K+ miles for me. In the 90's I had a car that I had to replace all the regulators before 100K miles (failures started right after the warranty ended).

2. Brakes are a wear item on all cars. At 120K miles, I have replaced the pads twice and rotors once. How often you have to do depends on how and where you drive. The idea is to replace these items before you have a braking failure. (I have also replaced the slide pins even though they seemed okay. I haven't had to replace any calipers yet, but I do understand that these are wear items too and will eventually have to be replaced or rebuilt.)

3. Failure of the plastic cooling system parts on the gen II V8 is well documented. Expect to have to replace all to nearly all of them at least every 100K miles. I bought my LSes new and they have given me good, reliable service. I consider it acceptable to have to do some repairs after 8 to 10 years and 100K+ miles. If you didn't expect some maintenance and repairs, you shouldn' t have got an eight year old car.

4. The premature coil failure issue was never solved, but it was improved. They should last at least 60K miles, and may go twice that. It is what it is.

Good deal, is there any particular coil right now that's preferred? Just get Motorcraft? I remember at one time people said get Delphi...they're about $11 cheaper on Rockauto. I don't mind spending the extra $90 for the Motorcraft. But if there's no point I'll keep my money.

still about the same failure rate

wear item, sooner or later it will need to be replaced

wear item, sooner or later it will need to be replaced

however a couple of big things you wont have to really worry about again... timing chain guide failures and hydraulic fan actuator failures.

The sway bar bushings...on 06 they're molded on right? So I either have to replace entire sway bar or figure out a way to cut the old ones off?

I consider it acceptable to have to do some repairs after 8 to 10 years and 100K+ miles. If you didn't expect some maintenance and repairs, you shouldn' t have got an eight year old car.

For what it's worth. I have an 02. I love the car. Since I fixed everything(thanks a ton to this site and people like you) it's been a great car.

I didn't buy this one. It was my dad's. He died in motorcycle accident about a month ago.

Just saying, I'm not here complaining about this car or some sort of buyers remorse....just saying I came into in a way I'd rather not have. Also trying to get ahead of the game for repairs if possible.

Good deal, is there any particular coil right now that's preferred? Just get Motorcraft? I remember at one time people said get Delphi...they're about $11 cheaper on Rockauto. I don't mind spending the extra $90 for the Motorcraft. But if there's no point I'll keep my money.

I'd stay with Motorcraft.

My condolences for your loss. I'd wait until you get the coil and cooling system problems fixed before deciding which is more sporty. Might also be, since you said you have everything fixed and this was your dad's car, that your dad's car is still running the stock suspension and you perhaps recently replaced suspension components or what have you. Also, what specific models are the two cars? There are sport and non-sport versions of these cars and while I'm not familiar with the specifics they are designed to make the cars handle differently.

... There are sport and non-sport versions of these cars and while I'm not familiar with the specifics they are designed to make the cars handle differently.

All 2006 should be sport.

Members online

No members online now.
Back