2006 LS V8 Seized?

Bigeric23

New LVC Member
Reaction score
So I bought the LS for my son in May, 88K on the odometer, clean carfax. Had it inspected, no leaks, no issues. A month later the power steering starts to make a groaning sound. We replaced the PS pump, a week later, the noise came back. Notice the PS fluid level was low, and there is a leak coming from the PS boot (I assume the rack needed to be replaced). Then my son takes it for a spin, with the PS leaking and he hears a rattling sound coming from the engine. He pulls over, and sees these 2 notifications on the dash.. Now the car will not start. Lights come on, makes a clicking sound, but will not crank. Had it towed to a local mechanic, who fears the engine has seized.. Is this the end?

Also, we had a leak in the sunroof, water dripping into the cabin? Maybe the engine is hydrolocked?

end?
IMG_20210719_201234.jpeg
IMG_20210719_201240.jpeg

So I bought the LS for my son in May, 88K on the odometer, clean carfax. Had it inspected, no leaks, no issues. A month later the power steering starts to make a groaning sound. We replaced the PS pump, a week later, the noise came back. Notice the PS fluid level was low, and there is a leak coming from the PS boot (I assume the rack needed to be replaced). Then my son takes it for a spin, with the PS leaking and he hears a rattling sound coming from the engine. He pulls over, and sees these 2 notifications on the dash.. Now the car will not start. Lights come on, makes a clicking sound, but will not crank. Had it towed to a local mechanic, who fears the engine has seized.. Is this the end?

Also, we had a leak in the sunroof, water dripping into the cabin? Maybe the engine is hydrolocked?

end?View attachment 828576300View attachment 828576301

Also.. we checked the oil about a week prior, it was full, a bit over the max, and now we checked, it is very low.. So something must have caused a pretty bad leak very quickly?

I would start by removing plugs and manually turn the crank and check cylinder compression

So, I assume that the temperature gauge was ignored?

somehow lost all oil

or overheated to the point it dropped a valve seat

So, I assume that the temperature gauge was ignored?
As soon as he heard the noise and just before he shifted into neutral and turned off the engine, he checked the temp gauge. It was right in the middle (as it should be.) After coasting to a stop at the side of the road, putting the key into the run position revealed, in addition to these two messages, that the temp gauge was maxed and the temp light was on. Just 15-30 seconds prior, the temperature gauge indicated no problems at all. Is this salvagable? Or a total loss? Common issue? We are bumming right now..

... Is this salvagable? Or a total loss? Common issue? We are bumming right now..
No, not common. You have not provided enough info to know if this is minor or major. A good next step would be to put a socket wrench on the crank bolt and see if you can manually turn the crankshaft clockwise. If you can't, it probably is toast.

ok thanks.. it's currently at the shop, will await their diagnosis and circle back.. wish us luck, and thanks for your help!

somehow lost all oil

or overheated to the point it dropped a valve seat

I don't know if I'd go that far yet.

Oil is sacrificial. It's purpose is to clean, cool, seal, and lubricate. Expose it to extreme temps... and it loses those properties.

By reading what happened to the engine... the oil, (especially if non-synthetic), was probably "cooking off" due to the high cylinder temps... and because of that the engine is most likely toast.

No, not common. You have not provided enough info to know if this is minor or major. A good next step would be to put a socket wrench on the crank bolt and see if you can manually turn the crankshaft clockwise. If you can't, it probably is toast.

I doubt it will... and most likely is. The steel cylinder liners are also most likely scored... and are loose in the aluminum block.

So, quick update...

Shop could not determine what was wrong, suspects it is seized, but couldn't confirm.
No codes registered on any scan tools... which is surprising.

We have the car back at the house now..added oil to the engine, no leak after 2 days.

Had a mechanic come to the house, who took a look, but didn't have time to try to crank it manually.

Noticed battery is failing, but since there are no codes, and no evidence of metal in the oil, thinks it may not have seized?

The day before it died, we had a lot of rain, and water leaked in the cabin and all down the front pillar..
One theory is that we have a short somewhere?

He recommended I take the battery to AutoZone, and have them charge it, or try a new battery...other than that I think I'm stuck.

The day before it died, we had a lot of rain, and water leaked in the cabin and all down the front pillar..
One theory is that we have a short somewhere?

If the sunroof drain came loose, (which they are known to do), on the passenger side of the car... (IIRC) the water will run down to the ECM and potentially fry it.

Get the right sized socket and a fairly long ratchet... and put it on the crankshaft pulley bolt (as Joe suggested) and try to turn the crankshaft.

You'll know if it's seized.

Soo....got the battery charged at AutoZone, no good news ...car lights up, but only clicks, no crank.i think she's dead...but noticed water under the hood, (likely from the sunroof leak).any chance this is electrical, not mechanical failure? I'm going to try to hand crank one of these days in the next week or two..but seems like a fair amount of work, which I haven't had time for yet.

20210803_020353.jpg

A good next step would be to put a socket wrench on the crank bolt and see if you can manually turn the crankshaft clockwise. If you can't, it probably is toast.

Had a mechanic come to the house, who took a look, but didn't have time to try to crank it manually.

Get the right sized socket and a fairly long ratchet... and put it on the crankshaft pulley bolt (as Joe suggested) and try to turn the crankshaft.

I'm going to try to hand crank one of these days in the next week or two..but seems like a fair amount of work, which I haven't had time for yet.

Might be easiest to crank it over from underneath.
Been mentioned more than once already.

just wanted to share the latest.. no luck..mechanic said they "tried everything". Sold it to a scrapper for $500. What a shame, but wanted to thank you all for your help and insight....best of luck to you all, hope your's fares better than mine!

20210912_160111.jpg

20210912_160052.jpg

20210912_160041.jpg

20210912_160032.jpg

20210912_160030.jpg

20210912_155959.jpg

20210913_124134.jpg

Ouch. That hurts. I'd have put it up on jackstands (not the HF ones) and put it in neutral and tried to turn the motor over by the crank nut as advised. Sometimes when mine would "overheat" going from normal to hot in seconds, it was air pockets in the cooling system. Bleed bleed bleed. If there's a leak, find it and fix it. All the bogus overheats and it never had any sort of catastrophic issue. My moon roof leaked like a mofo and I never had any computer problems. Cam phaser rattle that scared people in parking lots? Oh yeah. Broken tranny servo? Sure. Cooling system leaks? Absolutely. Cam cover leaks? Yup. Catalytic convertors plugged? Yes. Shredded driver's seat? Uh huh. Failed ABS controller?. Yessir.

Wow what a shame I would have given you 500 plus just to not see it scrapped out. I'm willing to buy any LIES with any and all problems. Starting to see more and more what is wrong with them and being a s.all guy I can get were most can't

Members online

Back