2006 Lincoln LS ...Starter solenoid is going out?

Lincoln LS

1. AmsterDutch

AmsterDutch Dedicated LVC Member

The 2006 has been sitting for a couple months now ...battery went dead ...charged battery and tested it ...all came out fine ...I had to start driving it again due to my 2002 LSE getting a bearing replaced ...having an issue with the 2006 not starting ...when I turn the key and try to start it ...no cranking...no nothing...the battery is fully charged ...tested battery and reads 12.43 without the key on ...what's weird is I will turn the key several times and randomly it will fire up no problem all of a sudden....I have a brand new starter on the shelf in the garage ...should I go ahead and throw it in? I'm Wondering if someone can tell me from experience how long it takes to replace a starter in the LS ...never had to replace a starter in this car ever? I know my 2006 Jeep I had to lower the drive shaft...just wanna know if there is any tricks to make it easier...thanks

2. joegr

joegr Dedicated LVC Member

12.43V with no load is a discharged battery, unless it is very cold there.

I have to ask once again, why guess at it when it is so easy to test.
    There are three terminals on the starter/solenoid assembly, "B", "M", and "S." While someone holds the key fully clockwise (start position), measure voltage between the bare metal of the engine or starter and the "S" terminal. If you don't get at least 11 volts, then your problem is somewhere else. If you do have 11+ volts and the starter is not doing anything, then measure the "B" terminal (key still at start). If it is less than 9V, then your problem is between the battery and the starter. If it is 11+, then measure the "M" terminal. If it is less than 9V, then the solenoid switch in the starter is bad. If it is 11+, then the starter motor itself is bad. If so, a light tap with a hammer may cause it to start, this time.

There is nothing to remove to get to the starter or to change it out.
    s6x~us~en~file=a0066256.gif~gen~ref.gif

3. AmsterDutch

Okay sounds simple enough...What should my battery read with no load? And yes its -6 degrees here...

4. AmsterDutch

I guess I should ask...If its -6 degrees isnt it. Normal for a battery to drop down to 75%? And/Or 12.45?

5. joegr

12.6 V is the minimum for full charge, at reasonable temperatures.

• Like Like x 1
    • joegr

Possibly so. We never see such temperatures here.