2006 Lincoln LS ...Starter solenoid is going out?

AmsterDutch

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
The 2006 has been sitting for a couple months now ...battery went dead ...charged battery and tested it ...all came out fine ...I had to start driving it again due to my 2002 LSE getting a bearing replaced ...having an issue with the 2006 not starting ...when I turn the key and try to start it ...no cranking...no nothing...the battery is fully charged ...tested battery and reads 12.43 without the key on ...what's weird is I will turn the key several times and randomly it will fire up no problem all of a sudden....I have a brand new starter on the shelf in the garage ...should I go ahead and throw it in? I'm Wondering if someone can tell me from experience how long it takes to replace a starter in the LS ...never had to replace a starter in this car ever? I know my 2006 Jeep I had to lower the drive shaft...just wanna know if there is any tricks to make it easier...thanks

12.43V with no load is a discharged battery, unless it is very cold there.

I have to ask once again, why guess at it when it is so easy to test.
There are three terminals on the starter/solenoid assembly, "B", "M", and "S." While someone holds the key fully clockwise (start position), measure voltage between the bare metal of the engine or starter and the "S" terminal. If you don't get at least 11 volts, then your problem is somewhere else. If you do have 11+ volts and the starter is not doing anything, then measure the "B" terminal (key still at start). If it is less than 9V, then your problem is between the battery and the starter. If it is 11+, then measure the "M" terminal. If it is less than 9V, then the solenoid switch in the starter is bad. If it is 11+, then the starter motor itself is bad. If so, a light tap with a hammer may cause it to start, this time.

There is nothing to remove to get to the starter or to change it out.
s6x~us~en~file=a0066256.gif~gen~ref.gif

There are three terminals on the starter/solenoid assembly, "B", "M", and "S." While someone holds the key fully clockwise (start position), measure voltage between the bare metal of the engine or starter and the "S" terminal. If you don't get at least 11 volts, then your problem is somewhere else. If you do have 11+ volts and the starter is not doing anything, then measure the "B" terminal (key still at start). If it is less than 9V, then your problem is between the battery and the starter. If it is 11+, then measure the "M" terminal. If it is less than 9V, then the solenoid switch in the starter is bad. If it is 11+, then the starter motor itself is bad. If so, a light tap with a hammer may cause it to start, this time.

View attachment 828573451
Okay sounds simple enough...What should my battery read with no load? And yes its -6 degrees here...

View attachment 828573451
I guess I should ask...If its -6 degrees isnt it. Normal for a battery to drop down to 75%? And/Or 12.45?

12.6 V is the minimum for full charge, at reasonable temperatures.

The 2006 has been sitting for a couple months now ...battery went dead ...charged battery and tested it ...all came out fine ...I had to start driving it again due to my 2002 LSE getting a bearing replaced ...having an issue with the 2006 not starting ...when I turn the key and try to start it ...no cranking...no nothing...the battery is fully charged ...tested battery and reads 12.43 without the key on ...what's weird is I will turn the key several times and randomly it will fire up no problem all of a sudden....I have a brand new starter on the shelf in the garage ...should I go ahead and throw it in? I'm Wondering if someone can tell me from experience how long it takes to replace a starter in the LS ...never had to replace a starter in this car ever? I know my 2006 Jeep I had to lower the drive shaft...just wanna know if there is any tricks to make it easier...thanks
Mine is doing the same, were you able to determine the solution?

Let’s hope thats the case! Get got one a few weeks back!!!

Let’s hope thats the case! Get got one a few weeks back!!!
Are you saying you just got a New Battery a few weeks ago? Have you checked it with a multimeter? If it's at the proper voltage and you have a vented battery...you can rule out the battery and move forward checking other things ...O' Riellys auto parts stores usually will have a battery/starter/generator tester ...just call the closest store near you and verify they have it...if not call another until you find one that has it and have your system tested ...its not the easiest starter to replace ...but its doable without dropping the engine down ...just takes a little patience...my wife's Acura RDX starter needed replacing about a month ago it took me literally 15 minutes to take the old one out and another 15 minutes to put the new one in ...the LS is not as easy but is still not that bad either

Are you saying you just got a New Battery a few weeks ago? Have you checked it with a multimeter? If it's at the proper voltage and you have a vented battery...you can rule out the battery and move forward checking other things ...O' Riellys auto parts stores usually will have a battery/starter/generator tester ...just call the closest store near you and verify they have it...if not call another until you find one that has it and have your system tested ...its not the easiest starter to replace ...but its doable without dropping the engine down ...just takes a little patience...my wife's Acura RDX starter needed replacing about a month ago it took me literally 15 minutes to take the old one out and another 15 minutes to put the new one in ...the LS is not as easy but is still not that bad either
A lot of times batteries will have issues if they sat a while on a shelf. I worked at a couple dealerships and that was an issue.

I’ll take it back t O’Reillys To get it tested though, or just test it by jumping it and seeing if that does it.

Starter is a pain in the butt for sure, already did one on it.

A lot of times batteries will have issues if they sat a while on a shelf. I worked at a couple dealerships and that was an issue.

I’ll take it back t O’Reillys To get it tested though, or just test it by jumping it and seeing if that does it.

Starter is a pain in the butt for sure, already did one on it.
Agree

Members online

No members online now.
Back