2006 Lincoln LS pinging

svtman

LVC Member
Reaction score
I've got an '06 LS V8 which has a small problem with pinging while driving steadily and then hitting the gas suddenly. It will ping briefly and then sound normal. I run premium 91 octane gas and always have and was wondering if anybody else has had this problem. I even tried changing brands of gasoline to no avail. No trouble codes either and plugs are new.

Thanks

Coils? I use to get this too. It would happen when I would cruise and give it a little gas while it was on 5th. It went away, I dont know when though, I've done a lot to it.

It's called tip in detonation. My '03 LS8 does it unless I run 93 octane. The only way to get rid of it on less octane is a tune with less tip in timing and maybe more accelerator pump enrichment.

It's called tip in detonation. My '03 LS8 does it unless I run 93 octane. The only way to get rid of it on less octane is a tune with less tip in timing and maybe more accelerator pump enrichment.

Well that's crappy. I was hoping it was something like a partially clogged EGR or something else like that. All we can get where I live is 91 octane unless I go with ethanol-blended gas which I don't want to use. Thanks for the advice - I may have to get a tune.

i also have an 06 and same thing has happened to me, but not often.

had my mechanic with me, but it won't do it when he is in the Car.

only on highway, and rapid acceleration

are you in Alberta? Sherwood.

I had this issue for a while in my 06, but I noticed that it happened if I filled up at a particular Shell station, and not when I filled up elsewhere. I had the county come out and test the 93 gas at that station to see if they were selling 87 as 93, like another station near here was busted for.
It turns out that it was truly 93 octane, but it was highly contaminated with water. I did some research and found that pinging can be one outcome of water contaminated gas. This is a long shot, but I thought that I would throw it out there...

Well, I've pretty much ruled out gas as it does it with different brands and at different locations as I have driven across province. Most easily noticed when going about 50kmph and stabbing the pedal.

Yup, in Sherwood Park, AB

I believe a buildup of carbon deposits can bring about pinging/knock also.

I have been using Shell 95% of the time, maybe that' s it?
same symptoms , when do doing 120 kph, and punch it.

pinging noise, occurs, but not all the time.

I only run high octane, too..

I've never had this problem. But I love the way it drives with 93 Octane... We only have 91 locally, so traveling I jump on the good stuff!

91 in california only. I read somewhere that it was made illegal here for some reason, a few people have said that they fill up with 93 here in cali but they never say where.

at smaller gas stations here its 87 89 and 91 but if you go to shell (which i prefer) or bp (which i hate because they jack the price up) you can get 87 89 or 93 :D

91 in california only. I read somewhere that it was made illegal here for some reason, a few people have said that they fill up with 93 here in cali but they never say where.

I remember when we went from 93 to 91 about 8 years ago. We were on vacation when they made the switch. Believe it or not, I could feel a difference. I love getting out of The People's Republik so I can get real gasoline!

Is there any place that has 93 or is it illegal here like I heard?

Huh, I think I'm getting this on my 06 as well. When punching it and the RPM is greater than around 4.8K, there is a brief and very slight clattering. Anything I can do about it? I run 91 oct Shell, which is about the best I can get here in Dallas.

Huh, I think I'm getting this on my 06 as well. When punching it and the RPM is greater than around 4.8K, there is a brief and very slight clattering. Anything I can do about it? I run 91 oct Shell, which is about the best I can get here in Dallas.

Mine did the same exact thing for months before 4 of the coils took crap. I always run 93, and still thought it was an octane issue. Once I got the coils replaced, no more pinging/clattering.
So, your coils may be on their way out.

well, I hope if it is the coils that they cover them under that extended coil warranty on my 06 with 80k on it...

well, I hope if it is the coils that they cover them under that extended coil warranty on my 06 with 80k on it...

There is no extended coil warranty on the 06. It's for the 03 to 05 only, unless they recently updated it.

Members online

No members online now.
Back