2005 Lincoln LS overheats and loosing fluid

Ratio more antifreeze over water? My next step is changing the Degas bottle. Its losing coolant some where no leaks... Evaporation maybe due to the boiling in the tank? Or the tank not holding pressure.... I'll go with the Degas bottle first... All my plastic parts have been replaced including radiator.

... Its losing coolant some where no leaks...

Why do people keep posting this clear contradiction??? If you are losing coolant, you have a leak or leaks. It is as simple as that. Coolant isn't consumed, and it doesn't evaporate at any noticeable rate if the system is sealed and pressurized. What definition of "leak" are you using? I really want to understand this. If I did, maybe I could help more...

OP, you might have a bad water pump. My water pump died last year -- the impeller fell off the shaft as its attaching hub material disintegrated. Same kind of deal, after a couple minutes of run time, the coolant would boil. However, in my case, I was unable to do a purge of the air bleed line, which depends on the pump working. (V6) If you can do the air purge and have correct out flow of the coolant when the air is gone from the purge hose, then your pump is good and you can disregard this.

Got home today... After 1 1/2hrs of driving saw drips on the ground near the location of the Degas bottle... Probably has a crack somewhere underneath it... Thanks for all the input...

Next time when the forum suggest to replace all plastics on the cooling system just take it's advice. As painful as it may be the forum knows best due to experiences. Many of us have been there done that. When the LS begins to overheat or has no heat issues, it's time to R&R the entire cooling system. One can muck around attempting to replace one piece here and there but it never works out in the long run. These LS'es literally after around the 10+ yr mark need the cooling system replaced. Unless of course your name is don-ohio :)^)

Hate, flame all you want ... this is just how it goes, all involved plastic cooling system parts need to be replaced at once and the system needs to be air tight able to hold pressure and bled out according to procedure. Sorry but that's just how it is and that's the advice given on here on LVC.

Big Rig wrote: ` Unless of course your name is don-ohio :)^)'
This is true......NO plastics problems yet,and NO pressure-induced cracking of plastic parts yet. Hmmmmmmm......wonder why? Must live a clean life?Different antifreeze? I doubt it. Nah.....it has to do with common sense.
Of course,if you must traverse high mountainous regions,you should keep your pressure cap or go heavier,up to 70% with the antifreeze ratio to 30% water.
Speaking lightly of me won't change facts. I'll let you know immediately on this forum IF a plastic coolng part on EITHER of my LSes EVER fails on me. don-ohio :)^)

No,I had no idea.........LOL! The pertinent part of the quote is listed. Deriding me.Makes it my business. If I deride you,I expect YOU'D be heard from. don-ohio :)^)

K, I've had enough!

Big Rig wrote: Don, It's my opinion you are a Fn special tool alright. Right down ignorant and thumbing your nose on a public forum at those that have more then enough experience with these LS cooling systems. Your case is so special it should be written into the Guinness book of LS records. Little do you state facts on if you've owned your LS'es since new, purchased at the dealership and thus to date know of that the cooling system has not had parts thrown at it. Let's say you picked up both those LS'es used from some other party, you have absolute records that none of your plastics have needed attention? This is not to say that it doesn't need it just yet or hasn't already been done. You are completely ignorant to the fact and you seem to think that your cooling system is special and therefor like no other LS'es out there, would even think of starting it's deterioration process. It's just what this plastic does over the years Don! If you keep it in the garage and only bring it out for the annual Christmas parade, I could possibly agree with you but if it's got miles on it, 10yrs + ... it's plastics are already beginning to break down, from the inside outwards. In addition the degas bottle begins to forms tiny hairline crack which are difficult to spot unless removed from vehicle. Yours is no different despite your no pressure method dedication!

FACT: The plastics cooling system goes through immense heat cycling.
FACT: After, near or around the 10yr mark, every LS that's been driven enough will start to have these plastics break down.
FACT: The LS is and was designed to run as a pressurized closed looped system. This includes not messing with the degas bottle cap.
FACT: Even in this special world of yours, as much as you wish to deny it or thumb your nose at the situation, your insides of your plastic cooling parts are beginning to look like the following:

attachment.jpg

At the very least, if not at this stage just yet, it will have signs of brown little pitting marks, which are the beginning of the deterioration process. Over the years, after an overwhelming amount of heat cycling, that's just what this plastic does. Yours is no exception to the FACT. I understand from your posts that you do not think so but you are seriously delusional if you think the inside of your plastic cooling system parts are near brand new since the day it rolled out the WIXOM plant.

... Anyhow, I apologize, you're special to the fact, your LS is like no other, you know best and I'm going to forward you a piece of wood in the mail, when it arrives, start knocking!

:)^)

BigRig wrote:` It's just what this plastic does over the years Don! If you keep it in the garage and only bring it out for the annual Christmas parade, I could possibly agree with you but if it's got miles on it, 10yrs + ... it's plastics are already beginning to break down, from the inside outwards. In addition the degas bottle begins to forms tiny hairline crack which are difficult to spot unless removed from vehicle. Yours is no different despite your no pressure method dedication!'

Sorry,BigRig,but mine IS different..........PRESSURE causes that cracking and deterioration.The parts are under more stress continually. If you can't see that pressure is a prime culprit then I can see there's no persuading you.
BUT LIKE I SAID,BR, speaking lightly of me will not change the fact that pressure is causing a LOT of problems in the older cars.Unless you're in the mountainous regions,you don't need pressure but just at least a 60/40 antifreeze to water ratio. THAT is a fact,but you don't want to accept it.NO problems with my 12 year old plastics yet. don-ohio :)^)

P.S. The fact that the plastic parts are subpar and we are aware of it is even MORE reason to reduce or eliminate pressure.

Having to keep adding antifreeze. Keeps losing water... I think the heater core is leaking... Windshield stays fogged up... Any tips on how to replace heater core?

expansion tanks go bad, pressure test it at local garage

Got home today... After 1 1/2hrs of driving saw drips on the ground near the location of the Degas bottle... Probably has a crack somewhere underneath it... Thanks for all the input...

I'm just gonna leave this here...

Just a question.

My coolant boils to the point where I can feel it rumble when the car is off. After driving for a while it explodes under the hood. I just replaced the Outlet Tube. Could the Degas bottle be bad?

I, however, did fill the tank with water in the meantime until payday to get by. Could it be overly diluted?

My coolant boils to the point where I can feel it rumble when the car is off. After driving for a while it explodes under the hood. I just replaced the Outlet Tube. Could the Degas bottle be bad?

yes, and just like its been said 1000 times (this week!) all of the plastic parts of the cooling system have the same life span, when one explodes, the rest are also just about to the failing point. you probably have (or will have very soon) a leak from every plastic cooling part

Could it be overly diluted?

it could be, plain water does boil at a lower temp than the proper water/coolant ratio mix will, honestly, I'm going to go with "all of the above"

Just a question.

sounds like two to me!

This world I live in ... I swear, I just want to go back to where I came from, you know the place where people actually read and understand.

Oh BigRig calm your nerves lol. I know the plastic parts deal. Thats why im replacing them one by one. I'm just asking about the boiling situation. Sometimes different symptoms mean different things. Unless the certified-never-wrong-perfect answer Is always plastic parts

Members online

No members online now.
Back