2005 Lincoln LS overheats and loosing fluid

UltimateLS

LVC Member
Reaction score
Having to keep adding antifreeze. Keeps losing water... I think the heater core is leaking... Windshield stays fogged up... Any tips on how to replace heater core?

It would be the first leaking LS heater core that I have heard of. However, all the plastic cooling parts on all LSes fail eventually. Do you have the V8 or the V6?

Sometimes a heater hose fails and sprays into the box,causing steamy windows.Do you smell antifreeze? I haven't looked at how the heater core is on my cars,but it doesn't have to be a heater core bad if the hose goes bad on a lot of cars. don-ohio :)^)

I've also never heard of heater core going. I'd suggest doing a dye test which you can get cheap and check all your cooling pieces.

If the heater core is leaking enough to fog the windows AND cause you to have to keep filling the bottle often, you will usually have a wet carpet too. Feel the carpet under the passenger floor mat, if it's wet it's the heater core. If not, I'd look elsewhere.

Actually, heater core leaks should drain out under the car the same as the AC condensate water does. Another "failsafe" design...
(That said, I really, really doubt that it is the heater core.)

not if you fill it up all the way, works every time...... liquid won't compress

But that's not the problem. The bottle gets hairline cracks that let air in, not coolant out.

It's only been discussed here a gazillion times.....

not if you fill it up all the way, works every time...... liquid won't compress

Nope. I was a big fan of pressure tests, until I tried it on an LS that I knew had a leak. I tried hot, cold, and warm, engine running and not. It wouldn't leak, coolant or even just air while I watched (looking for a pressure drop on the gauge). However, every time I drove it at speed, it would spray some coolant on top of the engine. I finally figured it out, but the pressure testing didn't help me at all.

upper hose have a crack in the seam in it? my car had 60k on it when mine started leaking, can you see a puddle under the car? if so where is it located?

upper hose have a crack in the seam in it? my car had 60k on it when mine started leaking, can you see a puddle under the car? if so where is it located?

In my case, it was all new plastic. I hadn't cleaned off the metal surface of the engine well enough, so one of the rubber seals was leaking under the right conditions, but only under the right conditions.

When mine failed the only evidence was white residue left where the coolant stream hit the underside of the hood.

luckly for me, when mine failed, it really failed and blew off the end cap to the coolant outlet pipe, and then blew all of the coolant out that huge hole...

no guessing around trying to figure that one out.

Your right it may not be that... But can't figure out where the coolant is going no leaks on the grown. After a period of driving coolant starts boiling. The system has no air in it...

If you have enough mix of antifreeze to water,your coolant shouldn't boil.That would indicate a bad thermostat or cooling fan not actuating,etc. I don't live in a super hot climate,but I never run a pressurized system on an older car.I just run at least a 60 antifreeze to 40 water solution.
You can remove the gasket on the overflow tank cap or just leave it a hair loose like I do. don-ohio :)^)

... You can remove the gasket on the overflow tank cap or just leave it a hair loose like I do. don-ohio :)^)

Ah no! .... best not attempt that on any LS, it needs to be able to maintain 16 psi .... unless you are talking about some other vehicle, not sure.

Nah,Big Rig! WHY not LS? I've been nearly 4 years/70,000 miles driven on my 6 banger LS with no pressure and NO problems.Hardly ever have to top up the fluid either. No pressure on the Degas bottle(reservoir tank) either. I am also running it on my V8 I just acquired with no probs. Now if I were in the desert,I'd probably run 65 antifreeze to 35 water and no pressure unless it gave me trouble.
But normal circumstances warm summers and cold winters have never given me a prob on ANY of my pressureless vehicles(Ford Aerostar,Mustang 4.0,F-250 7.5L, both LSes.Even my backhoe is depressurized.
BUT you gotta run at least 60 antifreeze to 40 water......I'm very careful about that. I've been doing this for many years and I never blow a head gasket or blow any hoses.
don-ohio :)^)

Members online

No members online now.
Back