2005 lincoln ls 3.9 V8 POOSSIBLE BLOWN HEAD GASKET???

gaylemike

LVC Member
Reaction score
Brand new radiator, brand new Motorcraft DCCV, brand new Ford 2W9Z-9N499-AC - TUBE ASY, bled out all the air...........car idles perfect for 10 or 12 minutes, go drive it on the highway at highway speeds, it's perfect, back in the driveway and idle for 3 or 4 minutes and it's running hot backing up into the reservoir.......cool it down, repeat bled out all the air...........car idles perfect for 10 or 12 minutes, go drive it on the highway at highway speeds, it's perfect, back in the driveway and idle for 3 or 4 minutes and it's running hot backing up into the reservoir.

The water pump and thermostat was replaced approx. 6 months ago.

Does this sound like a possible blown head gasket that is just barely leaking through and it takes all of the aforementioned to cause it to overheat???

Any ideas??? Help???

Sounds like you need to replace the rest of the plastic parts. When one cracks, the rest are ready to. On this car, the entire cooling system has to be replaced about every 100-120K miles.

Could be a crack in the degas bottle. I bought my '06 LS w/ 150k from a girl who's "mechanic" told her it needed a head gasket, as it was overheating just like yours. I had a feeling it probably wasnt the head gasket and as Telco said I had to replace almost my entire cooling system in a matter of months.

Bought mine with a "blown head gasket". Turned out to be a degas bottle.....who would've thought. Lol

You can also scoop up cheap LSes with "throttle body needs replaced" and just put coils in.

Someone told me today that they can do a "carbon" test..........anyone ever heard of that. It is supposed to be a fail proof method to find out if it is a blown head gasket.

Did you notice whether the fan was kicking on during idling? Do you have at least a 50/50 mix of antifreeze in your system? Good news is it's probably NOT a head gasket.Yay! don-ohio :)^)

Someone told me today that they can do a "carbon" test..........anyone ever heard of that. It is supposed to be a fail proof method to find out if it is a blown head gasket.

It's a "hydrocarbon" test. Basically, it looks for exhaust products in the coolant. Here's another one you can do. On the first start of the day, stop the engine after about two minutes (everything should still be pretty cold). Try to squeeze the upper radiator hose. Is is stiff because it is pressurized? Remove the degas cap. Does that release a lot of pressure? If the answers are yes and yes, then you may well have a breached head gasket (or a warped head). If so, you will have only the second 3.9 with a bad head gasket that I have ever heard of.

It's much more likely that you have the common problem of micro-cracks in the plastic cooling system parts that are letting air get sucked into the cooling system. Also, please describe your exact bleeding procedure.

Wow,Joe! I'm really glad to hear that about the rarity of head gasket failure. Thanks! don-ohio :)^)

if I was a betting man, I would bet its far more likely for you to get 3 different types of cancer all at once before you have a blown head gasket...

Bleeding??? Well I open the vent valve by the reservoir until air quits coming out........should I be doing anything else. Is there a documented bleeding procedure??? Thanks for all of 'your' help!!!

Bleeding??? Well I open the vent valve by the reservoir until air quits coming out........should I be doing anything else. Is there a documented bleeding procedure??? Thanks for all of 'your' help!!!

Wow, yeah. No wonder you have problems. You will probably need to drain some of the coolant and then refill and bleed exactly by the procedure below. Some people mess up by putting the degas cap on before it says to.

http://deneau.info/ls/s6x~us~en~file=s6x33004.htm~gen~ref.htm#extract_142

"throttle body needs replaced"

I just saw this grammatical setup from an old post from Hite. I'll assume Grell does it too

Do you two always skip "to be" (and similar)? TB needs [to be] replaced. The car needs [to be] washed. That would drive me crazy coming from any English-speaking area other than the midwest

I'll say maybe `replacing' might be better.....but we all understand what is said there. TB needs replacing.... Car needs washing. etc. don-ohio :)^)

Oh.....well I bled it so many times I don't know if I did that sequence but I'm going to print up and try that tomorrow. Thanks for the procedure joegr.

If I recall, most but not all head gasket leaks produce lots of white smoke out of the exhaust and also water in the oil, making the oil look like whipped chocolate milk.

I just did a lot of coolant parts replacing and when it came time to refill, I filled her up, let it get up to temp, put the cap on the de-gass bottle...drove it around, squeezed the upper radiator hose and it was like grabbing one of my biceps after a work out...Means its holding pressure, opened the bleed screw, got some air out...Turned it off, let it cool, checked the level in the de-gass bottle, filled to the appropriate level...Rinse and repeat until things settled...also, when doing this, crank the heater up to full blast, 90 degree on the temp control and fan on high speed.

I hope its not a head gasket and just a crack somewhere in the plastic stuff like mine was.

OK........I don't know what I did before, as many times as I bled the system I must have not done it exactly as the procedure, I just don't remember now!!! I would have thought that as much as I did, I would have covered THAT SPECIFIC procedure several times over but I must not have.

I did it this time by the procedure and all is well.......I wonder why Lincoln made it so hard, wrong word, (er, it really was easy). I have worked on Crown Vics, Town Cars, and others over my lifetime and never ran into this specific detailed procedure. Many thanks go out to joegr for the URL and 1LoudLS you made my wife laugh with 'if I was a betting man, I would bet its far more likely for you to get 3 different types of cancer all at once before you have a blown head gasket...' and I was especially thankful for it not being a blown head gasket.

Regardless of my ineptness, I do appreciate the help.

Mike

Did you notice whether the fan was kicking on during idling? Do you have at least a 50/50 mix of antifreeze in your system? Good news is it's probably NOT a head gasket.Yay! don-ohio :)^)

Good news for a little while anyway.........I have driven the car for about 3 weeks without any problems and no I didn't notice if the fan was kicking on during idling, just thought that it hadn't gotten hot enough for the fan to be on......until this last weekend. I got caught up in a traffic jam for about 20 minutes and finally the car started running hot, and I had to pull over. I'm not sure but I don't think the fan was on. I got it cooled down, got out of traffic, drove it on home and didn't have any more trouble with it trying to make the fan come on but I don't think it did. I think this car doesn't have an electric fan on it.......looks like a hydraulic pump going to it. I'm going to look up some more info on it on this forum. Is there a sure fire way to force the fan on or somehow maybe a relay isn't allowing it to come on......in other words.....easy first before getting harder and more expensive to fix?

Answer to the fan kicking on during idling......at the time I suspected it was or either the car wasn't getting hot enough to call for it but now I am not sure.

If you have a 2005, then you have an electric fan. (2000-2002 was a hydraulic fan.)
If you turn the AC on (and the AC works), the fan should come on.
There is no fan relay. It is a continuously variable fan controlled by the PCM. The electronics are in the fan motor assembly.

Members online

No members online now.
Back