2004 Lincoln LS (3.9 Liter v8) ETC Failsafe Mode.

McBeetus

LVC Member
Reaction score
I have a 2004 Lincoln LS 3.9 L V8 with just over 150,000 miles on it. Have been experiencing random occurances of engine entering ETC Failsafe mode over the course of a month, which just hit maximum and occurs every time i try to drive it now. Used to be a turn off ignition and restart fix. It spat codes P2110 (Throttle Actuator Control System Forced, Limited RPM) and P2107 (Throttle Actuator Control Module Processor). I replaced the throttle body completely. Performed the engine relearn procedure, reset the ecm and let car idle for about 20 minutes. Sounded good, started off for a test drive, and ETC failsafe kicked on again before getting 100 yards from my house. Same codes. Rough idle upon startup. Does this sound like a spark plug /coil on plug issue to anyone else. If not, appreciate any advice.

Im not a professional mechanic, and can give any other info with a code reader and/or multimeter if instructed on what to do.

To note. I recently replaced the coolant expansion tank a few months ago, the radiayor 6 months prior to that. Have experienced no heating issues.

Also, am planning on replacing the front axle soon

20180617_142452.jpg

20180617_142446.jpg

So, new coil on plugs should be the fix for this?

90% of the time.

Need to be new Motorcraft (not "equivalent" from ebay), about $50 each
Need to change the spark plugs at the same time. NGK best, Bosch worst.
Make sure every plug has the gap set to exactly 1.0mm. Use gap adjust tool, be careful when measuring.

Are you using a scan tool that will pick up all Ford codes, and not just engine codes?

~ Replaced the throttle body completely.
~ Performed the engine relearn procedure.
~ Reset the ecm.

~ Also, am planning on replacing the front axle soon

Stop it, you're killing me here!

Coil #4 is done. Closest to the PCM, leaking RFI straight into the PCM and freaking it out. Those are retarded false Throttle body and position sensor codes stored. Replace all coils and plugs with OEM and inspect all coil clips and entire harness. Check gapping on plugs. Look for oil or water down the plug wells. If so then needs VC gaskets, mainly the internal plug well o-rings.

What Front axle ?

Joegr. If youre here to make yourself feel superior...glad I can help. But dont appreciate the tone in which youre speaking with me. If itll get your rocks off for me telling you that you know more about the car than me. Yes....thats the point, thats why im here. I was told that i would need to replace the cv axle assembly soon. Sue me if I was unaware of the location. If, however, you just want to be a smart ass. You can leave me with the info you previously provided and go about your day.

Joegr. If youre here to make yourself feel superior...glad I can help. But dont appreciate the tone in which youre speaking with me. If itll get your rocks off for me telling you that you know more about the car than me. Yes....thats the point, thats why im here. I was told that i would need to replace the cv axle assembly soon. Sue me if I was unaware of the location. If, however, you just want to be a smart ass. You can leave me with the info you previously provided and go about your day.

Well, I'm sorry you feel that way.
Please put me on your ignore list. Personally, I prefer for my ignorance to be corrected. I guess you are more on the participation trophy side of things.

I re-read joe's posts like three times in this thread. And I still have no idea where you think he was condescending. Joe is a Lincoln LS veteran and is always straight-to-the-point about solving this car's issues. We are all here for free information and DIY help, no need to bite the hand.

"Stop it, you're killing me here!"

"The rear has axles and CV joints, but the front most certainly does not!"

Why the exclamation?

But, whatever. Im over it.

Relax McBeetus. Consider the exclamation a slight form of friendly teasing.

Many have changed out the Throttle body to only discover the issue still persists.
Mostly Dealerships will immediately replace the Throttle body because the stored DTC's.

We are fully aware of these false codes due to RFI leakage from bad coils. Particularly from coil #4 as it's closest to the not-shielded-enough PCM. You would have known this also had you searched this forum related to "ETC Failsafe". It's been written, posted and discussed plenty.

I'll bet if you simply replace only coil and plug on #4 your problems will be gone. However we never recommend just changing out one or two units. All those plugs and coils are spend and need refreshing all as a whole. Certainly I'd recommend staying away from those cheaper branded coils. You'll have best results with all new OEM coils and NGK plugs.

My 04 LSE also sports a brand new shiny Throttle body and position sensor. Compliments from the previous owner whom had been taken for a ride to the tune of 2700$ at a dealership that could not resolve the constant immediate ETC failsafe limp home mode. While kicking the tires I had to restrain myself from explaining the issue. Picked it up for 1300$ minus the three dollars of spare change from the back seats. Put a last-known-good used coil on 4 and confirmed ETC resolved. Put all brand new coils and plugs in it and problem gone.

We laughed for a while ....

so I just replaced all 8 coils and plugs. gapped right with motorcraft and ngk iridium. i see i have alot of oil in well #4. getting the etc failsafe now 2 days later with codes p2107, p2110. any suggestions?

Well, you really have to replace the valve cover gaskets first. When you saw the oil, why didn't you stop of do that before potentially ruining the new coils?

I cleaned out with rag and am currently waiting on the windshield wipers cowl. this is only vehicle right now so hoped foe the best.

would oil in the well send these two codes?

It can damage the coil(s) by damaging the boots and shorting out the output of the coils (this can damage the plugs too, so both become suspect). The damaged coils can cause emi that can falsely cause those codes. Of course, you could actually have a problem with the throttle body, the wiring, or the PCM. However, if you do, you will be the very rare exception.

You can't do anything half way with the LS. The problem now is that when you replace the valve cover gaskets and the problem remains will you be willing to buy another set of new Motorcraft coils and new NGK spark plugs? If you do, there is not a 100% guarantee that it will fix it. If you don't, you won't know if it's not really the coils that were compromised by the oil leak.
If you find someone who is well equipped and experienced specifically with the LS, then you could get it scoped out to tell. That's not cheap either.

If you mess around with it long enough, the PCM and/or catalytic converters will be damaged.

I appreciate the info. plan on getting oil out and new wiper cowl as well as new vc. ordering a new coil and plug for after the oil is taken care of. then sending the pcm to the guys you recommended for me. hopefully this takes care of the issue because I still have cats waiting to put on until this coil issue is handled

Members online

No members online now.
Back