2003 Lincoln ls transmission problems

blazeLS

New LVC Member
Reaction score
I recently bought a 2003 Lincoln ls 119,000 miles, now I’m at 121,000 miles & it started shifting hard about 500 miles ago & two days ago I got a code that said “check transmission” so I decided to get the transmission fluid changed. After getting refused service at a couple shops I found a transmission shop that’d do it. I went today & got my transmission serviced, told them what has been going on & they said they found brass in the pan but it’ll be alright to drive it until it fails but they also said that could be a tomorrow or 50,000 miles from now. I’m just wondering if anybody can give me suggestions on what to do as far as getting a new tranny, like where to look, expected price, reliable manufacturers & all good advice to be given. Also I’m gonna call back tomorrow & ask if they used mercon V I know should’ve said beforehand but it just slipped my mind I’ve had a lot going on.

2003 was a problem year for the LS tranny. I'm surprised it made it to 121k. Might be why the person was selling the LS.

Last I knew Motorcraft reman trannys were available through a Ford dealer for around $3k.

That doesn't include installation.

It may be possible to rebuild the old one by a local shop if the case isn't worn. Probably $1200-1500.

Do some research for good tranny shops in your area. Check Yelp... Google reviews and other sites. A rebuild would be about half the cost of a dealer tranny (rebuilt).

Beware. Most independent and "chain store" tranny shops can be "shady"... so do your homework.

I recently bought a 2003 Lincoln ls 119,000 miles, now I’m at 121,000 miles & it started shifting hard about 500 miles ago & two days ago I got a code that said “check transmission” so I decided to get the transmission fluid changed. After getting refused service at a couple shops I found a transmission shop that’d do it. I went today & got my transmission serviced, told them what has been going on & they said they found brass in the pan but it’ll be alright to drive it until it fails but they also said that could be a tomorrow or 50,000 miles from now. I’m just wondering if anybody can give me suggestions on what to do as far as getting a new tranny, like where to look, expected price, reliable manufacturers & all good advice to be given. Also I’m gonna call back tomorrow & ask if they used mercon V I know should’ve said beforehand but it just slipped my mind I’ve had a lot going on.
Check ford parts.com online. Ford Reman trans are available . They will also provide list of dealers. Cost around 4k$ installed . No use trying parkway ford Lincoln on Winston Salem They will not work on anything over 10 years. At this point drive until it breaks

Do not get a rebuilt unit. You want a re-manufactured unit because of case servo bore issues in that transmission as mentioned above. If the bores are not corrected you will still have problems. There is now a good list of updated/upgraded parts that should be used. So make sure wherever you get it they are aware of ALL of them!

Here is a place I have NOT used but they have a nice detailed list of the problems with that transmission that they fix when re-manufacturing the transmission. Prices ($1600 + core) almost seem to be a bit cheap? Might be worth a call to get more info and there are other places as well.

Re-Manufactured 5R55S Transmission

Well I definitely know what your talking about. Its been a couple months since I had my 06 rebuilt. I bought it 5 months ago and it had 147,000 on it. Mine had been going into neutral when i braked kinda hard and then would hard shift back into gear. Took it to Superior Transmission they drained about 3 quarts of fluid out because previous owner had overfilled it before I bought it. Car ran and shifted great til 2 weeks later pulled up to walmart and when I come back out to leave it wouldnt take gear wouldnt move a inch. Sooo I had Superior rebuild it to the tune of $2200.00. Shifts great and pulls hard now without having to give it alot of gas. The brass they found couldve definitely come from a prior rebuild where they drilled the servos and put brass sleeves in. The owner of the tranny shop told me beforehand that they would bore n sleeve mine to prevent future problems. Ive never bought a remanufactured tranny but Superior really did a great job rebuilding mine. So good so far anyway.

I have a 04 V8 with 492k, replaced the trans three times, 85k PATC, 210k PATC, 401K AAMCO (Anniston). AAMCO lifetime with free 20k fluid filter changes, they threw in a trans mount and couples in also. Shifts like new, but ran $4k. I put the Seal Power inline tranny filter on my 06 85k after a power flush to keep the fine iron wear particle out of the oil. The service manual shows an outline of the filter, FYI. Hopes that helps!

Screenshot_20220706-091849_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Members online

No members online now.
Back