2003 Lincoln ls Transmission Problem

Juufro413

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Just bought a 2003 Lincoln ls v8 2 months ago with about 81,000. Out of responsibility I had the transmission flushed cause I had nothing to go off of when I bought it and figuring it being around 80,000 i might as well do it to save me trouble later.... WRONG. It drove nice for about a day and then it start shifting really hard and when it would shift, it would shake and vibrate a lot as if its trying to get into gear but it cant. The tranny was perfectly fine before i got it flushed and now its just :q:q:q:qed..... Please help!!! would rather put more mods than spend 2 grand on a rebuild!!!

Do you know what they replaced the fluid with? Also the flush could have hosed something up. Where did you get it done?

Yikes thats scary. I have the same year/engine with about 5k more miles that I'm getting ready to do a tranny flush on. +1 for what you replaced the fluid with.

Go back to the shop where you had it flushed. That's not supposed to happen. Flushing a transmission around 80k miles should not cause these problems.

They may have put in the wrong fluid (it needs to be Mercon V) and it could even be low on fluid.

If they underfilled it or put the wrong fluid in, you've got a good case for a new trans.

I had it done in a local place here in town... now talking to like 3 different mechanics they all suggested that i should have taken it to an actually Ford/Lincoln dealership because only they have the right tool to properly change the fluid because its a sealed unit(i.e no dipstick) thinking back on it now i should have done more research and drove it less because i actually took it too an actual different dealership to have it redone but in between time i drove it when it was having problems...

Yikes thats scary. I have the same year/engine with about 5k more miles that I'm getting ready to do a tranny flush on. +1 for what you replaced the fluid with.

I would be very very careful who you take it to to have it flushed, and research it alot before taking any steps. make sure they have a clue what there doing.

The sealed 5r55 trannies should only be done at a Ford dealer IMO, because if they mess something up, they are on the hook for it. Some mom and pop shop can say what ever they want.

These transmissions are NOT sealed. There is no dipstick because there was no room in the engine bay during assembly. According to the man that wrote the calibration for the transmission the fluid should be flushed every 30K-50K miles. The transmission was tested to 150K miles without a fluid change.

When I say sealed, I mean no dip stick. I know they aren't totally sealed. If they were totally sealed, there would be no flushing of the tranny.

When I say sealed, I mean no dip stick. I know they aren't totally sealed. If they were totally sealed, there would be no flushing of the tranny.

That's the rub. People keep calling this a non-serviceable, sealed transmission when it's not. It's pretty much the same as a manual transmission and serviced the same way.

Exactly. You add fluid like its a manual tranny. A little more time consuming, but thats the price of having a V8 in a cramped engine bay.

I had it done in a local place here in town... now talking to like 3 different mechanics they all suggested that i should have taken it to an actually Ford/Lincoln dealership because only they have the right tool to properly change the fluid because its a sealed unit(i.e no dipstick) thinking back on it now i should have done more research and drove it less because i actually took it too an actual different dealership to have it redone but in between time i drove it when it was having problems...

Umm, no. I'm not sure who these mechanics are that you're talking to but they're clueless. The 5R55N/S/W isn't some rare transmission with an obscure design. Any competent mechanic with the right equipment can flush this trans.

Umm, no. I'm not sure who these mechanics are that you're talking to but they're clueless. The 5R55N/S/W isn't some rare transmission with an obscure design. Any competent mechanic with the right equipment can flush this trans.
With that said, the mechanic could not have been competent. There are idiot mechanics out there that cause nothing but trouble and run up costly bills because they don't have a clue what they are looking at.

so whats everyone suggesting i do? i almost have enough money to re-manufacture my tranny if NEED be, but i rather find out exactly whats wrong with it and then decide what to do. should i take it to an actually lincoln dealership and pay the bent over price just so they can tell me what i already know or should i just get the soleniods checked and what kind of fluid they put it?

so whats everyone suggesting i do? i almost have enough money to re-manufacture my tranny if NEED be, but i rather find out exactly whats wrong with it and then decide what to do. should i take it to an actually lincoln dealership and pay the bent over price just so they can tell me what i already know or should i just get the soleniods checked and what kind of fluid they put it?

Well, staying away from the dealer and going to the cheap place has worked out really great for you so far...

If you already know why the question? The diagnostic charge at the dealer is pretty comparable to the charge at a quality independent. Emphasis on QUALITY!

Fix the parts that need to be fixed and stop paying for the wrong opinions.

http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/showthread.php?t=80761&highlight=5r55

im not that mechanically inclined to do all this by myself or without the help from a professional. but after looking at your post and reading through it all im almost possitive what was wrong with your, is whats wrong with mine. all except my shifts hard from 2nd to 3rd like it does from 4th to 5th going about 60 mph. it almost feels like its trying to get into gear but keeps slipping.

If you can turn a wrench you can fix your trans.

The friction line of the 5r55 is impervious to everything but water.

im still not sure what to do with this,i know more that the average joe. ive put it a sounds system customs leds and and intake but i think re doing a tranny is a little out of my league. plus i dont even know if i have the same problem you did with yours.

im confused on what yours saying... whats the friction line? i still need to do some research cause im a noob when it comes to terms and such.

The rotational section of these trannys do not need to be touched.

The solenoid, servos, fluid, and the 3/4 spring are the known problems. Once you fix those you'll have a trans that's as smooth as a 18-year-old t*t.

how much would a shop charge me if i had them replace those 4 things, dropping the trans and all?

Members online

Back