2002 Lincoln LS V6 Auto Sport won't drive in auto, only 2 & 3 in SST, No trans codes???

Yeah, pretty much ALL these shops are crooks, especially the dealership, as I see.

Paid $135 at Alan Vigil Ford/Lincoln dealership in Morrow, GA for a transmission ONLY diagnostic, and the diagnostic was, they basically drew codes from my ECU and started my car, put it in gear on auto, saw it was slippage and said I need a new transmission.

These asses didn't even check my trans fluid or do so any technical diagnostic tests on my actual transmission at ALL!

After I picked up my car, come to find out that what I initially told them (the title of this thread) was actually inaccurate, yet THEY didn't tell ME that.

You asked for a diagnosis. If you had asked them to check the trans fluid level... they probably would have done that... for another $135 plus fluid if needed.

Hooking up gauges and doing pressure tests would have been another $135 at least.

I still say go to a reputable independent shop and have them check the fluid level and fill as needed... and have them throw a can of the Seafoam Trans Tune in it. At this point you have nothing to lose.

Have you called your State AG yet to see if you have a case against the original shop?

We finally took Mark to Advanced Transmission. They knew all about the car. Drained and converted to synthetic trans fluid and noticed the difference in shifting right away. Smoother shifting with more positive engagement. Well worth the $145!

Sounds like you need a new transmission. LS trans is pretty easy to swap if you are a decent wrench, or get a used one and have a shop put it in for you and a new rear main seal for about $600-$700.

I took it to an Auto Zone to check and see what codes were in it before I took in the same day and their printout had manufacturer recommendations on it at the end that stated 190,000 but that may have just been in reference to what the current mileage was at the time. I bought it in December from a guy that couldn't get it to pass emissions and had it sitting up for a year prior to me purchasing it. I believe it was around 180,000 when I bought it or slightly under. He told me he had already had the fluids changed on his last tune up, but there is no dipstick access for me to check.

The shop it's at said they put it up on a lift to check the fluids themselves and said nothing came out and that they put 4 qts in it, but there has been no leakage from it because it has sat in the shop several times since I've had it for up to two weeks at a time and no leakage was underneath and I damned sure would've been made aware if so because it's mostly been at my childhood friend's shop and he would've definitely said something as he's only got a one car capable garage so he would've seen the leakage.

I thought I posted this comment before but I guess not...

The ACTUAL problem with the transmission is, I have nothing on the auto side except Park ‍♂️ but, on the SST side I have all gears 1 - 5 and I experience absolutely no slippage or anything when driving in either one of them.

How the SST function was explained to me was, basically there's two computer accesses to my trans: Auto is basically my trans on auto pilot mode and the computer is telling it when to change gears, and SST is like a joystick, allowing me manual access to the computer to tell it when to shift instead of it deciding on it's own. Basically it's the same function as say the paddle shifters on the sides of the steering wheel on a Chrysler 200 or 300 Sport trim.

This is why the dealership definitely swindled me out of money because there's only the same series of gears 1-5 inside the trans that are being accessed both ways, so if I can drive in all of them in the SST side of the gear selector, then they are NOT in fact burnt up or not functioning, there's something wrong with something else.

When I put the trans into R, D5 and D4 you actually hear and feel the gear initially engage but there's no movement in either when you hit the accelerator.

Really just trying to find what the possibilities are for this problem before I take it anywhere else because I don't want to go in blind and end up swindled by another shade tree ass shop. I'm wondering if it could be solely electrical or computer error related?

I thought I posted this comment before but I guess not...

The ACTUAL problem with the transmission is, I have nothing on the auto side except Park ‍♂️ but, on the SST side I have all gears 1 - 5 and I experience absolutely no slippage or anything when driving in either one of them.

How the SST function was explained to me was, basically there's two computer accesses to my trans: Auto is basically my trans on auto pilot mode and the computer is telling it when to change gears, and SST is like a joystick, allowing me manual access to the computer to tell it when to shift instead of it deciding on it's own. Basically it's the same function as say the paddle shifters on the sides of the steering wheel on a Chrysler 200 or 300 Sport trim.

This is why the dealership definitely swindled me out of money because there's only the same series of gears 1-5 inside the trans that are being accessed both ways, so if I can drive in all of them in the SST side of the gear selector, then they are NOT in fact burnt up or not functioning, there's something wrong with something else.

When I put the trans into R, D5 and D4 you actually hear and feel the gear initially engage but there's no movement in either when you hit the accelerator.

Really just trying to find what the possibilities are for this problem before I take it anywhere else because I don't want to go in blind and end up swindled by another shade tree ass shop. I'm wondering if it could be solely electrical or computer error related?

Could this be the solenoid going bad? Someone who actually knows something please chime in. I am trying to learn about how these trannies work...

Well yes... that is new information. Since your trans functions in SST mode... but not in normal mode... it could be the gear selector switch on the drivers side of the trans, (told you I'd forget the name again Joe), close to where the harness goes into the solenoid pack.

That part has slotted holes, and it's my understanding that that part needs to be precisely aligned so that the trans knows what gear to be in.

That's the simple stupid answer anyway. Since Joe is subscribed to this thread ... he will probably be along shortly to elaborate.

That's the DTR (Digital Transmission Range) switch. It may be the issue, but I would expect you to get an "E" on the display.
I wonder if it could be a main line pressure issue? (Worn servo bores?)

Members online

No members online now.
Back