2002 lincoln ls sunroof cover to make manual

Rebel invade

New LVC Member
Reaction score
is it possible to make the sunroof cover manual instead of electric (2002 lincoln ls v6)
the reason why is because it stopped working

It's already manual. It's just that the sunroof has a small lever that pulls the cover back with the roof, as it is opening. It does not close it.

What isn't working for you? Can you not move it by hand?

the sunroof is closed but the sun roof cover is open so there sunlight coming through and no i cant close it manually its locked in place and it wont move back because the switch doesnt work any more

the sunroof is closed but the sun roof cover is open so there sunlight coming through and no i cant close it manually its locked in place and it wont move back because the switch doesnt work any more
Nothing to do with the switch. You have some mechanical problem to fix. No need to modify it, just fix it.

car-part.com just swap out a working sunroof assembly from a salvage yard

Screenshot_20220720-221540_Car-Partcom.jpg

Sounds like the sunroof interior panel "bypassed" the sunroof... and is stuck behind the sunroof.

You will probably have to drop the headliner to get the panel in front of the sunroof.

Sounds like a clip or "stop" broke on the panel.

How timely this thread, I just pulled a moonroof this morning at Barbies. My goal was just the opposite though, I wanted to get the sunshade OUT so I can replace the one I have (the one that had some over sized handle before it fell out). What I had to do was remove the WHOLE moon roof assembly and gently work, pushing one stop, then the other and back to the 1st etc., the 2 rubber stops on the sun shade over their plastic counter parts on the frame. That being done, I had to pull the plastic corners out of the way to let the sunshade slide out. It sounds like you need to do the same I will need to do, that is to gently work the sun shade over the stops. With the moon roof open, try jimmying the sunshade side to side while simultaneously pulling the the sunshade forward. Be gentile, you may be able to fix this without any disassembly. Though removing the moon roof was easy, I'm not looking forward to installing one!

How timely this thread, I just pulled a moonroof this morning at Barbies. My goal was just the opposite though, I wanted to get the sunshade OUT so I can replace the one I have (the one that had some over sized handle before it fell out). What I had to do was remove the WHOLE moon roof assembly and gently work, pushing one stop, then the other and back to the 1st etc., the 2 rubber stops on the sun shade over their plastic counter parts on the frame. That being done, I had to pull the plastic corners out of the way to let the sunshade slide out. It sounds like you need to do the same I will need to do, that is to gently work the sun shade over the stops. With the moon roof open, try jimmying the sunshade side to side while simultaneously pulling the the sunshade forward. Be gentile, you may be able to fix this without any disassembly. Though removing the moon roof was easy, I'm not looking forward to installing one!
It's not as complicated as one may think...I do suggest having a helper when doing the installation...my wife was a great help to hold it in place while I lined it up and bolted/screwed it in ...it has been a few years since I did the installation but if you have any questions feel free to ask ...their is a great thread on installing the LSes Moonroof Google search will more than likely reveal it

Members online

Back