2002 Lincoln LS Stock Radio Lights not working

Warden

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
My buddy's radio lights for the presets only are not working. All other lights on the radio function. He said that one day his son was driving it and the preset lights came on and stayed on for about an hour. If other lights are working but not the presets I am assuming an internal issue and not a external ground. Has anyone had this issue before? He asked if I could pull the radio tomorrow and look at it but I have a feeling it's internal to the unit.

EDIT: Any help is much appreciated.

My factory radio does that. The steering wheel controls also do not cooperate too well with it either. My issue is the clock spring. I just havent replaced it yet

My radio has acted up ever since I bought the car like 5 years ago. Just recently the cd player finally died and when I start the car the radio or the radio lights will not come on for a few minutes. I see a new headunit in my future. Maybe the same for you.

Yes, I've had that issue before. It was a bad solder joint on the button/display board at the face of the radio. I resoldered it and didn't have any more problems with the illumination.

Yes, I've had that issue before. It was a bad solder joint on the button/display board at the face of the radio. I resoldered it and didn't have any more problems with the illumination.

How difficult is it to crack open the radio?

I have my 02 alpine 6 disc in dash system available if anyone is interested :)

Mine messes up all the time....my new JVC arrived today, as soon as I get the RAPs figured out in stone....it's going in.

My lights work when they want too, the cd player works when it wants too.....it does this when it's cold out most of the time.

Also mine does have a No Configuration code and I'm not sending it out have it fixed.

I have the stock Alpine unit from my 02 if anybody us interested.

I put an aftermarket radio in years ago but he had his son replace it with his stock and has been living with this for years. I told him years ago to get an OEM from EBAY but he refused. I really don't have the time to crack it open and have a look but he is like a father to me as his son is my best friend of 25+ years or so. My buddy is in Fla now. I was asked to look at it and see what I can do, and so I shall. He'll be by in a few hours.
The thing that really stinks is that I will be doing this next to my Mark and I really want to investigate a shifter issue ive been trying to get to for a few weeks now.

All my time is now being spent learning new software. Anyone here using Revit?

My buddy's radio lights for the presets only are not working. All other lights on the radio function. He said that one day his son was driving it and the preset lights came on and stayed on for about an hour. If other lights are working but not the presets I am assuming an internal issue and not a external ground. Has anyone had this issue before? He asked if I could pull the radio tomorrow and look at it but I have a feeling it's internal to the unit.

EDIT: Any help is much appreciated.

- - - - - - -

2000-2004 Service Information

( GROUP 15: Audio Systems )

Audio Unit Self-Diagnostic Mode

NOTE: To enter the speaker walk-around test or the audio unit self-diagnostic mode, must be ON and in radio tuner mode (AM/FM). The audio unit self-diagnostic mode can only be entered while in the speaker walk-around test.

To enter the speaker walk-around test, simultaneously press the audio unit preset buttons 3 and 6.

The speaker walk-around test stops at each speaker and applies a different tone to each speaker for about 1-2 seconds. Each speaker is tested and displayed on the audio unit in the following sequence: RF, LF, LR, RR, Subwoofer I, Subwoofer II except for premium P100i and Premium CDx6 no Subwoofer I, Subwoofer II will display.
The speaker walk-around test automatically continues and tests:
for speaker short. If a short is present, SPKR SHORT will be displayed.
for CD/DJ. The audio unit display will show NO DJ if not present.
The speaker walk-around test will end and the audio unit will return to its previous setting.

To enter the following audio unit self-diagnostic modes, press the preset button desired while in the speaker walk-around test. This will abort the speaker walk-around test and start the selected test.

The audio unit self-diagnostic mode has five tests available:

Preset button 1 = Audio internal/external SELF TEST. If SELF FAIL is displayed, press TUNE > to scroll view the DTCs stored. Refer to the audio unit Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) Index. If the system is OK, SELF PASS is displayed.
Preset button 2 = View/Clear continuous diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs). NO DTCs is displayed if no DTCs are retrieved. If DTCs FOUND is displayed, press TUNE > button to view the DTCs retrieved. Refer to the audio unit Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) Index. To clear all DTCs press the EJECT button. DTCs CLEAR will be displayed.
Preset button 3 = SIGNAL TEST. This test measures the average strength at the current tuner setting.
Preset button 4 = Software configuration level. This test queries each audio system controller for its software configuration level. SOFT LEVELS will be displayed upon completion of the query. Press TUNE > to scroll view the software configuration version level.

Preset button 5 = DISPLAY TEST. This test will light all the audio unit display segments for five seconds and then turn all segments off. When the test is complete, DISPLAY TEST is displayed on the bezel.
Preset button 6 = CONFIG LEVELS. This will show the software configuration for the audio unit.

To exit audio unit self-diagnostic mode, turn the ignition switch or the audio unit OFF.
If the concern remains and the fault is not detected, proceed to Diagnostic Tool. <<< Which you don't have, so = NULL

Symptom Chart

• No radio illumination <<< This would only be in the case of 'complete' no illumination.

- Circuitry.
- Audio unit.

REFER to Section 413-00

Section 413-00

• The audio system illumination is inoperative

- Audio unit.

REMOVE the audio unit and SEND it to an authorized Ford audio system repair facility

- - - - - -

because only part of your illumination is out, it's as you said, 'Internal'.
icon4.gif

2 choices,

1) crack the unit open and have a look around the front display PWB, ribbon cabling and see if anything loose, cracked, burned.

2) simply scrap the unit and pick up a slightly used one at any scrap yard for around 40$ and be done with it!

~ sorry couldn't be much more of help.

.... mine does have a No Configuration code and I'm not sending it out have it fixed.

Simultaneously press the audio unit preset buttons 3 and 6.

- Enter the following audio unit self-diagnostic modes

Preset button 4 = Software configuration level. This test queries each audio system controller for its software configuration level. SOFT LEVELS will be displayed upon completion of the query. Press TUNE > to scroll view the software configuration version level.

- To exit audio unit self-diagnostic mode, turn the ignition switch or the audio unit OFF.

~ for what it's worth.

Thanks for the info BigRig; unfortunately I didn't see it before he got here.

Fortunately for me he didn't want me to crack it open. He felt bad for taking up my time but I was cool with that. Since I wasted my time getting it out I wanted to open it, otherwise what was the point.... but he didn't want to wait around for that and waste his time:Bang. Anyway I think I convinced him to get a aftermarket one and told him I would look for a good installation kit that doesn't look too bad.
BTW, my bad, the car is a 2001 FWIW.
I'll find a radio either stock or AM and throw it in.

Members online

Back