2002 Lincoln LS Stock Radio/CD Player - "CD Error"

bluefish

LVC Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I have what appears to be a common problem with the CD player in my 2002 Lincoln LS.

Ever since I bought the car used back in January 2014 the CD player has not worked.

When I push the load or eject or any CD related button.. I get the message "CD error".

Not sure if a CD is jammed in there as I can't open the CD door.

Tried some of the tricks suggested on different threads like disconnecting the battery, pulling the radio/Cd player fuses, etc. but still get "CD error".

My radio is exactly like the photo I've included.

Any ideas other than getting it repaired (not worth the money IMO) or getting an aftermarket radio?

Thanks!

radio.jpg

radio.jpg

Well, since you've rejected the good solution, no.

I bought a used 2002 Ls also and same problem. It had 7 disc in it LOL. I removed it With the AC panel as an assy "only way" then brought it in the house and took it apart as nec. not that big a deal. BTW you don't have to remove the Console like I have seen people say is nec. hope that helps ya.

well if you dont want to repair the radio you have...

and you don't want to buy a new radio...

I guess the only other option you have would be to buy a used radio and hope its not also broke or doesn't break after a while...

What's wrong with aftermarket? The only changes would be the loss of speed-volume compensation and the retained accessory power takes some finagling

What's wrong with aftermarket? The only changes would be the loss of speed-volume compensation...

There are aftermarket with speed volume compensation. Mine has this.

He never said he didn't want to pull the radio he did say he pulled the radio CD fuse. I think if we're here to help each other, we should read the post of each other then THINK.

He doesn't want to pay somebody to fix his radio CD

other than getting it repaired

what the heck are you even talking about?

there is really only three options here, repairing the radio, replacing the radio with the same thing, or replacing the radio with something else. I guess you could count "doing nothing" as a fourth and just dealing with it...

as far as him getting his broke radio fixed, he said he doesn't want to... (AKA "not worth the money") I'm not saying that HE has to repair it himself, if he knew how to repair electronics, he probably wouldn't have asked in the first place, he would have just fixed it. (not to mention he is talking about paying someone in the first place is a dead giveaway that he wasn't talking about self repair...)

as far as pulling fuses goes, that doesn't fix anything, sometimes people are lucky and when the radio re-initializes it will reset the elevator and un-jam the player so that you can usually retrieve the CDs, however nine out of ten times, the original problem is still there and sooner or later it jams right back up (hopefully with just burned copies this time)

he also doesn't want to hear that he should just replace it with an aftermarket radio (don't care why not, doesn't matter)

so then as mentioned early in this thread, his last option would be to buy a used radio (which does kinda suggest him having to take his radio out)

He never said he didn't want to pull the radio

you're right, but where did anybody say thats what he said? the only other person to even directly mention removing his radio was yourself...

he did say he pulled the radio CD fuse.

I also remember reading that. as I recall, that did not fix his problem.

we should read the post of each other then THINK.
you're welcome to start anytime...

Man you sure love to argue

1). Any ideas other than getting it repaired

I have an idea ? You can remove the Radio yourself and take it apart yourself and see if there are CD's stuck in it, if so remove them. That worked for me

I have an idea ? You can remove the Radio yourself and take it apart yourself and see if there are CD's stuck in it, if so remove them. That worked for me so far.

Fixed it for you...

My 03 cd was broke when I bought the car luckily it had a xm tuner mounted on the dash...lol

Thanks everyone for the feedback. Much appreciated. I'm not against getting an aftermarker radio. I was just referencing the fact that paying someone to repair a stock lincoln radio/cd player that is 12 years old
will probably cost as much (if not more) than a brand new aftermarket radio that is actually a better unit (aux in, USB, radio, CD, remote control, etc) so might as well go with the new unit. That being said I'd prefer not to spend ANY money (smile) and fix the current CD problem if possible. I'll consider the "take the unit apart" option.

Another option I've been considering is adding an AUX in port to play songs from my iphone through the car stereo (instead of playing CDs). I've watched a few youtube videos on this but not sure if it will work on my radio since it's so old. Comments on this are welcome.

I was just referencing the fact that paying someone to repair a stock lincoln radio/cd player that is 12 years old will probably cost as much (if not more) than a brand new aftermarket radio that is actually a better unit (aux in, USB, radio, CD, remote control, etc) so might as well go with the new unit.
honestly, by far the best option!

Another option I've been considering is adding an AUX in port to play songs from my iphone through the car stereo (instead of playing CDs). I've watched a few youtube videos on this but not sure if it will work on my radio since it's so old. Comments on this are welcome.

also not a bad option, But depending on which model you go with, it may almost cost as much as replacing the OEM radio with a better aftermarket radio that has a lot more functionality...

but no matter what, there are many different options off adding an AUX in, everything from plugging into a OEM aux/sat port in the back of the radio to fm modulated systems that will work with EVERY radio that has FM...

I had the same issue with the stuck CD elevator. I disassembled mine while my OEM replacement was in transit. I learned quite a bit about how they operate. Unfortunately the one I ordered ended up having a jaammed elevator as well. So I contacted the seller and they sent me another free of charge. So now I have two disassembled OEM units, and a good operating one currently in the LS.

Personally I'd recommend ordering an OEM replacement. It'd be the most economical and easiest choice. If you go aftermarket you'll have to invest in a good faceplate/frame that will look nice and clean. Not to mention an adapter to keep your steering wheel controls. Either way the choice is yours.

I've come to find that the electrical connectors are very brittle and flimsy in the OEM stereo headunits. Both of my players (the original, and the defective replacement) were disfunctional due to electrical connections being broken on the inside. The orange thin tape that contains electrical circuit wires.

I've heard of these players failing electrically and mechanically in several different ways, some fixable and some not. But like I said, I'd just purchase an OEM replacement. Then you still have a clean factory look, and you have an old headunit for replacement parts if and when needed.

You should be able to find a blemish free, clean OEM unit for around $65-$100. Best of luck.

Members online

No members online now.
Back