2001 Continental General Questions..

earlfleetwood

LVC Member
Reaction score
I just purchaed a 2001 Continental with 65000 miles. Having some issues which you will see from my other posts. My question here is a general one. Is this a reliable car for the long haul. I have financed it for 5 years, will probably trade at 3. One of the car opinion sites are all positive. Is there any big ticket items that go on this car frequently. I am just trying to make an educated opinion if I need to spend an additional $150 a month for the next 18 months to get a 3 year/36,000 mile warranty or should I risk it and not get it? Thanks for the help.

I would skip the warranty. With 65000 plus the 36000 mile warranty will put you around 101k. Trans should last way longer then that with normal driving. Oil change every 3000 with conventional oil and the engine should run a easy 200k. No problems with air ride on the 2001 either. All your probably gonna need is the normal brakes and stuff, cheap enough. plugs that are also cheap and maybe a coilpack or 2 which are not that pricey. I bought mine with 52k on it and i'm up to 91k now. changed some plugs, brakes and coil pack and thats been about it.

Those warranty's won't cover anything anyhow. I bought mine last year with 103000 and have spent about 2000 and now I need a new trans. It seems like there are some good ones and some so so. I do plan on fixing the trans for another 2k and the car should be good for another 100000. The engine has had no problems at all

This is the type of warranty.

Its an exclusionary policy. Apparently everything is covered except Adjustments, Battery Cables, Belts and Hoses, Tune up items/plug wires, brake pads and shoes, glass, paint, carpet, upholstery. Everything else should be covered. I would really appreciate as much feedback as possible. Please check out my other post, as I am having an issue with the car. THANKS A TON!!

Math

150 a month for how long lets say just three years is 5400 bucks no way you will need to put that much in to her, unless somebody beat the ever loving hell out of her.

Just pay for the repairs as the are needed and you'll do fine. I am at 161000 and just need a water pump (thank god! I thought it was the head gasket) and have put around 1400 of other stuff in it at the dealer. But if I had a regular shop do it I would have gotten off cheaper. Add in the water pump and I am under 2000 still and even if I put a trans in her it will only be another 2000 so I still am under your 5400 for three years of warranty payments.

I know its easier to pay 150 a month than to pay big repair bills up front but you will save in the long run and YES she is generally a reliable vehicle.

Still thinking outloud!

The warranty is a 3 year, 36000 mile exclusionary policy. $300 down, and $150 for 18 months which brings me out to a grand total of $3000. I would prefer not to have to get the warranty, but then there is the piece of mind of having it. I am just spooked already having problems with the car at 5 days from buying it since I do not know these cars. I will be relying heavily on this board.

Don't spend any money on the warranty. You only have 65K on it. You haven't even broken it in yet. I made a big mistake in buying a warranty for my car which was $1,500 which I didn't even use. BTW for your problem do what the guy said. Go to autozone,(its free) let them connect the computer and see if its throwing a code. If it is post it here and people will help you out.

More Math

3000 is still less than I've put into my 99 with now 161000 on her. But if the current problem is a big one maybe the car has more wrong with it, I'd have a trusted mechanic look at her through in detail.

Update!!

Well, my worried are over. I went out and bought the part that was suggested after finding no codes. I was about to put it in, when I realized that the dealer had not reconnected the air filter when doing the oil change. I did and it corrected the problem. 2 strikes for the dealer. Thanks for all the help!!:)

Just a word about conventional oil. I have a 2000 Continental w/ 87k @ purchase. The first thing I did was have the oil changed. At start up it fires right up to 1500 rpm and rattles valves before the pressure gets up. The last change I did myself using Castrol High Milage oil and have no more valve noise @ startup.

i have a 2002 conti i bought the car with just 38000 on it 4 and a half years ago what i have learned is if you keep up on the tune ups and the fluid changes the car will run if not you will be like me new motor new trans fortunetly i was in a accident and my coverage took care of the trans but i kicked out 6500 for a stronger motor but i did it to my self by not changing coil packs and not changing fluid she now has 170000 miles on her

Members online

No members online now.
Back