2000 vs 2005 V8 performance.

owoodu

LVC Member
Reaction score
One other question, I know there is a difference in 2000 till present LS V8 horsepower. If you were to Modify a 2000 and a 2005 v8 with both a catback and a CAI would the horsepower become the same or near, or does the 2005 v8 still have a 2000 beat?
:waving:

Yes - the pre-03 were 252hp stock, the 03+ are 280hp.
- the gains in the 03+ were mostly VVT, troddle by wire and tuned exhaust.

Yes - pre-03s with intake, exhaust, tuning are hitting more hp than the stock 03+.

intake 13rwhp
exhaust 11rwhp
tuning 19rwhp

QuickLS

That answers part of my question. But what I want to know is if your took 2 LS's one a 2000 and one a 2005 both v8's and Chipped added CAI and modified the exhaust. How would they compare at that point?

Thanks again for your responses to my endless questions.

you don't get as much gain from the intake or exhaust swaps in the 03+ engines as they were better tuned from the factory. You can't re-tune an 05 yet - the PCM codes are not available.

So will all the mods you can do to a pre-03 compared to the few mods you can do to a 03+ - I believe the pre-03 will have a little more hp - but not much.

the 03+ have a taller rearend which will help the 0-60 times.

Quik LS said:
you don't get as much gain from the intake or exhaust swaps in the 03+ engines as they were better tuned from the factory. You can't re-tune an 05 yet - the PCM codes are not available.

So will all the mods you can do to a pre-03 compared to the few mods you can do to a 03+ - I believe the pre-03 will have a little more hp - but not much.

Quik,
How do you know so much about the LS? Are you a Ford engineer or something? Or you just LOVE your LS?

i want to know what quik looks like. not being homo or anyhting he answers everyone ?s, im just interested

thanx guys - I've been a member of the LLSOC (Lincoln LS Owners Club) for a while, and show up a few other boards. Mostly - I've had my car apart alot, grew up on a poor farm - fix everything ourself.

Sorry no pics of me - I'm damn ugly for a 72 yr old

but here's a pic of my lovely wife and my LS (before it was Quik)
and another of my son about 3 months ago.....

Rena - front car 2.jpg

Ryder.JPG

Quik LS said:

A taller rear axle will hurt acceleration. By way of example, a 2.73 rear axle ratio is taller than a 3.55 rear axle ratio. The same car with the 3.55 rear axle ratio will accelerate quicker with the 3.55 gear than the 2.73.

99 KOBRA said:
A taller rear axle will hurt acceleration. By way of example, a 2.73 rear axle ratio is taller than a 3.55 rear axle ratio. The same car with the 3.55 rear axle ratio will accelerate quicker with the 3.55 gear than the 2.73.

right - the mix the pre and post - the pre-03s had a 3:31, while the 03+ had a 3:58 - so the 03+ have a gearing advantage.

Quik LS said:
Yes - the pre-03 were 252hp stock, the 03+ are 280hp.
- the gains in the 03+ were mostly VVT, troddle by wire and tuned exhaust.

Yes - pre-03s with intake, exhaust, tuning are hitting more hp than the stock 03+.

intake 13rwhp
exhaust 11rwhp
tuning 19rwhp

I thought it was 2004 and up got the 280hp?

Dartastic said:
I thought it was 2004 and up got the 280hp?

nope the engine change was 2003 model year.

10/21/02 - Production start of model year 2003 Lincoln LS
------ 3.0L V6 Engine: Variable cam timing is added, new intake manifold, new exhaust manifolds. Ratings are now 232 HP @ 6750 RPM and 220 lb. ft @ 4500 RPM
------ 3.9L V8 Engine: Variable cam timing is added, new intake manifold, new 4 into 2 into 1 dual chamber exhaust manifolds, new cold air / throttle body arrangement, compression ratio is now 10.75:1 (was 10.55:1) and new fine tooth cam chains. Ratings are now 280 HP @ 6,000 RPM and 286 lb. ft. @ 4,000 RPM
------ Electronic throttle control is added
------ PCM code is extensively updated for new engines & ECT
------ Redesigned engine mounts (V6 & V8)
------ Engine fan is electric (was Hydraulic)
------ Alternator and power steering pump updated to reduce noise
------ V8 rear end ratio is now 3.58:1 (was 3.31:1)
------ Exhaust systems are updated
------ Polished straight back exhaust tips are added
------ ZF Servotronic II Steering box replaces Visteon unit
------ 5R55S (synchronous shift) transmission replaces 5R55N
------ SST now allows 1st gear starts in SST mode
------ Sport models now use aluminum rear brake calipers
------ Revised suspention tuning including larger shock absorbers and new anti-sway bars
------ Advance Track software is updated, to improve understeer control
------ Rear shock absorbers now have internal rebound springs
------ Spring rates are reduced by 10%
------ Updated hollow rear axle shafts
------ Tuned masses added inside front doors to reduce vibration resonance
------ Cabin sealing is improved by 20%
------ Front center arm rest has a sliding cover
------ Electric emergency brake assist is added
------ Front & Rear subframe mounts are updated
------ V6, 5 speed manual transmission model is no longer available
------ Electric Parking Brake replaces manual parking brake
------ Console is updated and enlarged
------ Heated and Cooled front seats ( 3 range) replace 1 range heated only seats (not available on base models).
------ Heated rear seats are now optionally available.
------ V6 base & Premium models now come with P225/55VR16 tires (was P215).
------ Automatic Windshield wipers are updated Generation II system.
------ THX Audio / DVD Navigation System now optional
------ Rear Parking Assist now optional
------ HID Headlamps now available (V8 Models only)
------ Front and Rear facias are updated
------ Fog Lamps now have round reflectors
------ Front Grille has chrome trim around the entire grille
------ Front Grille vertical blades are different in shape and color
------ Rear tail lamps are smaller and now have multi-color lenses
------ Rear licence plate trim is revised.
------ Folding rear view mirrors added to Premium Models
------ Puddle lamps added to rear view mirrors
------ Electrochromic driver's side rear view mirror added (Sport & Premium)
------ Keypad entry added to driver's side door
------ Front windows are now one touch automatic down and up
------ Power adjustable pedals added
------ Center brake light is now "high mounted" at top of rear window and uses LED's
------ Numerous interior updates include enlarged storage compartments, material upgrades.
------ Sunglass compartment added to front of headliner.
------ Dash board center stack is now Satin Nickel finish (was black).
------ Moldings below doors are now 1 piece
------ Instrument cluster graphics are changed
------ Interior grab handels now are folding with damped mechanisms.
------ Sun visors are now dual units.
------ Air Bag restraint system is now new generation Advanced driver and front passenger dual stage with occupant position, weight and seatbelt usage sensors.
------ Front & rear floormats are now 20 -oz. Shiva carpet with Maslite backing.
------ Rear seat reading lamps are now directional.
------ Base models now come with Black Laquer interior trim panels, all leather steering wheel and leather shift knob.
------ Sport models now come standard with Aluminum interior trim panels
------ Premium models now come with real American Walnut Wood interior trim panels.
------ Base model audio system now comes with single CD and audio cassette.
------ Premium models now have larger headrests which include adjustable rear headrests.
------ Glove Box CD changer is no longer available.
------ New 7 (14) spoke 17" machined wheels on Sport models
------ New 8 spoke 17" chrome wheels on Premium Sport models
------ New 11 spoke 16" painted wheels standard on V6 Premium & V8 Base
------ New 11 spoke 16" polished wheels optional on Premium model
------ New paint colors: Medium Steel Blue Metallic, Light Tundra Metallic, True Blue Metallic
------ Ceramic White paint is now optional Tri-Coat at extra cost and available on all models
------ Deleted paint colors: Medium Cypress Green , Aqua Blue, Pearl Blue, White Pearl Tri-Coat
------ New Two-Tone Interior colors: Dark Ash / Medium Ash, Espresso / Medium Light Stone, Black
------ Deleted interior colors: Light Graphite, Truffle, Light Parchment, Medium Parchment, Deep Charcoal

Quik LS said:
thanx guys - I've been a member of the LLSOC (Lincoln LS Owners Club) for a while, and show up a few other boards. Mostly - I've had my car apart alot, grew up on a poor farm - fix everything ourself.

Sorry no pics of me - I'm damn ugly for a 72 yr old

but here's a pic of my lovely wife and my LS (before it was Quik)
and another of my son about 3 months ago.....

good lookin momma! :)

you know, i dont have kids, but maybe your son should be in a car seat?
at least a booster seat and a seatbelt for cryin out loud!!! :N :joke

99 KOBRA said:

You're right 99...but it's a common misconception. Don't hold Quik responsible!!! A taller gear is numerically lower. A deeper gear is numerically higher.

I asked this before to no avail. Is it a direct swap on the rearend for all years? I can understand if no one knows. I want to put some 3.58s in a V6 without messing with the ring and pinion.

01lssport said:
I asked this before to no avail. Is it a direct swap on the rearend for all years? I can understand if no one knows. I want to put some 3.58s in a V6 without messing with the ring and pinion.
It is a direct swap. I believe the V6 already came with 3.58's

Kelleyo said:
It is a direct swap. I believe the V6 already came with 3.58's

I have on 01 sport. 3.58s weren't even in the V8s until 03, I think. That is how I understand it anyway:

07/15/99 - V8 Rear end changed to 3.31 was 3.58
10/21/02 - Production start of model year 2003 Lincoln LS
V8 rear end ratio is now 3.58:1 (was 3.31:1)

07/15/99 - V6 MTX rear end changed to 3.07, was 3.31 *
* '00 MY V6 MTX models were late availability. It is not
clear if any V6 MTX models with 3.31 were actually shipped
to dealer / customer orders.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong about this.

2001LS8Sport said:
You're right 99...but it's a common misconception. Don't hold Quik responsible!!! A taller gear is numerically lower. A deeper gear is numerically higher.

Plus...he's still pretty sharp for a 72 yr old.

01lssport said:

the auto v6s came with 3.58s and the manual with the 3.31, if i remember correctly

Quick LS.....the 2005 and 2006 codes are cracked.

Torrie just mailed me a flasher with 3 new files. I have a 2005 that I just bought in October new.

I hope it works? Is there something I should know Quick?

I was told by a member that my 2000 had 3.58's. I gave him my VIN and he looked it up?

Ken Motz said:
Quick LS.....the 2005 and 2006 codes are cracked.

Torrie just mailed me a flasher with 3 new files. I have a 2005 that I just bought in October new.

I hope it works? Is there something I should know Quick?

Great news.

Nah - the process now is painless.

I'll be interested to know if the later models should the same increase in HP from tuning.

Quik LS said:
Great news.

Nah - the process now is painless.

I'll be interested to know if the later models should the same increase in HP from tuning.

Im not sure Quik, but the tune in my 04 is a lot more noticable that the tune in my 02. The 04 with VVT is a monster for such a small motor.

Members online

No members online now.
Back