2000 V8 Jet Engine Noise acclerating

Question:
Precisely what does setting the temp to max/blower to max do? I realize it blows the max amount of hot air into the passenger compartment...but beyond that, I assume some signal is sent somewhere telling the engine to enable 100% Max/full coolant flow? Why do the bleed procedures state to turn the heater on max? Just asking a question I'm not sure of the answer to.
Thanks

Update:
Decided to replace the thermostat and bleed the system thoroughly. Obtained the Motorcraft thermostat and rubber O-ring from the local dealership. Interesting that once again, the Motorcraft part is pretty much in line pricewise with what Advance/Autozone/PepBoys offers.
Anyways, got the old thermostat out, and new one in. Then somehow stripped the hex head and created a hairline crack inside the plastic cap that screws onto the cooling tower. Ordered replacement cooling tower cap from the local Ford dealer...arrives tomorrow am.
The overheating saga continues..

Replaced the thermostat and cooling tower cap and bled the system last Friday.

No overheating issues at all, no more jet roar from the fan.

Not 100% convinced the thermostat was bad. Im thinking an air bubble may have somehow entered the cooling system and caused the intermittent turned frequent overheating that was occurring (actually, it never overheated, since I always caught it at the 3/4 mark or just before).

Anyways, all is back to normal now.

I just went through everything your talking about about a wk ago...

I had for a couple weeks been hearing the jet roar under the hood, and had very sporatic overheating, it would flash extreme engine temperature, then the traffic light would change and it was gone? this happened three times over two weeks.. then I left home one day and it was overheating within two miles. I would drive for 2 mins and then be forced to pull over - the reduced engine power light came on twice. I had the kids in the car, and didn"t want to sit on the side of the road. I would drive a mile or two, sit for 5-10 mins.. finaly dropped the kids off and got to the stealership... they replaced the thermostat and told me they couldn't find the noise I was telling them about... weeks later and 500 miles Never had another issue......

FINALLY IT"S OVER!!!
New water pump, thermostat, burp the system and everything is back to normal. According to the mechanic, the water pump after time will not move your coolant due to the cheap design of the insides. So, no more loud noise or overheating. Remember I was able to go for 3 or 4 months on this problem by releasing the pressure of the coolant when the car began to overheat. The mechanic said that water pumps are a gradually issue that keeps getting worse. Some days or better than others. Water pump installed with new thermo and burping the system $603. Not bad...146k miles.

I need to get some pics up on this site. Anybody know where?

20" Driv MVP 3" lip, tough to do considering a high offset
1000/1 jl amp with two 12w7
5 farad alumpro cap
blue ccfl angel eyes
eyebrows
15% tint
Aplines in all doors

Update

Fan seems to be making loud noise but only when the AC is on. Anybody else hear there fan when the AC is on???

Fan seems to be making loud noise but only when the AC is on. Anybody else hear there fan when the AC is on???

not sure. i know for a fact that the noise from the engine with the a/c on is a lot louder than with the a/c off. when the a/c is off you couldn't tell the car is ever turned on but once the a/c is turned on you can hear it start up and then start ticking..

when i accelerate to 45 and the 2000 V8 shifts from 4th into 5th as soon as it gets in 5th it has a minimal jet engine noise. does anyone else do this?

minimal noise

when i accelerate to 45 and the 2000 V8 shifts from 4th into 5th as soon as it gets in 5th it has a minimal jet engine noise. does anyone else do this?

I would imagine the minimal noise is because when you hit 5th the rpm's drop. I noticed that the lower the rpm's the quieter the fan noise is when the a/c is on.

after my observations; sometimes its louder than others, usually depending on speed. its like a deep groan.

My '00 V8 just started displaying similar symptoms.

I started the car in the driveway a few weeks ago and noted the loud fan noise. I looked at the temp and it was creepin above the 1/2 way mark so I shut it off. Gave it a few minutes and restarted the car; the noise was gone. It happens every now and then, but usually shutting off the car and restarting it cures it for the time being.

My jet sound is RPM dependent... as the rpm's rise, so does the noise so I'm not sure if it's the pump or the t-stat. So, I'll start by checking the coolant level, burping the system and replacing the t-stat. If the sound comes back, I'll change the pump. Now I gotta dig out my repair CD!

Other than coils, the only thing gone wrong in the past 50,000 miles :D

I'd try the cheap burp first. Then go t-stat. Im just not convinced these t stats are failing this much. But I do believe air creeps into the system every few years

My '00 V8 just started displaying similar symptoms.

I started the car in the driveway a few weeks ago and noted the loud fan noise. I looked at the temp and it was creepin above the 1/2 way mark so I shut it off. Gave it a few minutes and restarted the car; the noise was gone. It happens every now and then, but usually shutting off the car and restarting it cures it for the time being.

My jet sound is RPM dependent... as the rpm's rise, so does the noise so I'm not sure if it's the pump or the t-stat. So, I'll start by checking the coolant level, burping the system and replacing the t-stat. If the sound comes back, I'll change the pump. Now I gotta dig out my repair CD!

Other than coils, the only thing gone wrong in the past 50,000 miles :D

Mike:
Did you get this finally resolved, fully and completely? As posted somewhere else, I eventually went ahead and replaced the T-stat, and bled the system. Abouta month later, the temp needle started to creep up. I turned the heat on full blast for maybe 30 seconds, shut it off, and instantly the temp went back to normal and stayed that way. Same thing occurred maybe 3 weeks later. Turned the heat on full, needle went down. All was well. Did a bleed again, problem went away for maybe another 3-4 weeks. (Im not sure if the "bleeding" made it go away, or perhaps it would have stayed away anyways without the bleed).

Yesterday, same thing. Started car, drove for about 10 mins or less, heard the jet engine fan noise, needle started creeping up, put heat on full blast, needle came down, jet engine noise gone. (yes, I realize the jet engine noise is just the engine fan kicking into super high to try to fight the overheating).

This morning I did another bleed in the parking garage, but as soon as I opened the bleed valve, coolant came out constantly and freely like it was supposed to anyways.

Any idea what the issue is? The fact that it goes away as soon as I put the heater on high makes it appear that its an air bubble issue.

Members online

No members online now.
Back