2000 V8 Jet Engine Noise acclerating

LNCD UP

LVC Member
Reaction score
Why when I press the gas my car sounds like it wants to take-off into the sky? I was recently having overheating problems, topped off my fluids which my hydylic fluid and coolant fluid was low and no more overheating. But, I still get that what appears to be a fan noise from the engine upon acclerating. Who can solve the infamous LOUD fan noise or what ever the hell is making this loud noise.

Thx

I just had this problem actually, well overall the problem came down to (Off the top of my head, I will be missing a few things) the fact that I needed to replace a water pump, serpentine belt, thermostat (general wear and tear on that), and I also needed to replace a couple hoses because the hydraulic fan fluid was leaking and the coolant. My LS ended up dying about a mile from home randomly it got so hot...and I was stubborn enough to push it home. Get it looked at as soon as you can...or if you need more info I have all of my invoices.

I did have my fluids leak from both the coolant and hydralic fan fluid about 4 months ago and now no more leaks. I think it is the thermostat. My car only tries to overheat once every week. It's almost like my engine isn't getting the coolant from the resvior. When I open the coolant resivior cap it lets a lot of coolant flow around and then I'm good for another week or so. It's gotta be the thermo not letting any coolant to flow. I'm going to start with the thermostat and hoses and see where that leaves me.
Thanks for the replie everybody.

It's possible that the fan clutch has locked up. I had a 5.0 mustang with that problem, course it wasn't as big as a problem in that car, the fan would just run as fast as the crankshaft. But in the LS, if its putting drag on the rest of the peripherals, it could be causing some problems... Just my 0.02

im having that problem right now and my deal is with the power stearing fluid leaking out onto one of the belts which is making it overheat and make that loud almost whinning noise and smoke just flows out of my engine, its in the shop right now

It's possible that the fan clutch has locked up. I had a 5.0 mustang with that problem, course it wasn't as big as a problem in that car, the fan would just run as fast as the crankshaft. But in the LS, if its putting drag on the rest of the peripherals, it could be causing some problems... Just my 0.02

Thanks for the suggestion I will check into it.
Any idea how hard and how much $$$ it cost to replace the fan clutch?
Has anyone ever heard this sound either right before or during there LS trying to overheat???

How did this work out? I started randomly having this "jet noise" 2 weeks ago. Starts off when I start the car in the parking garage to leave work, but then it dies out within 5 minutes. No overheating issues.

Today, on the 100 degree day, it made the noise and began to overheat within 10 mins. Turned the ac off, heat on, and the needle went down from 3/4 to the 1/2 way mark. Hit the highway, turned the ac back on, windows back up, and the needle stayed right around the 1/2 way mark.
Got home, checked the coolant, and the level was fine. Let it sit for 3 hours, started back up, and the loud "jet engine" sound from under the hood started again. Not an alternator type whine, but a pump type of noise. Not really RPM dependent either. Not really.

All original cooling system parts except for the tank, which I replaced over a year ago. System was bled fully and properly. 86k miles on the car. (2002 V8).

Any thoughts?

I have just came across this, its sounds like its comeing from the brake booster tho for me.

But LSEGUY, it has all your same symptoms.

I had this problem and it wasnt anything in the engine it turned out to be the wheel bearing. Just a thought.

actually, just double checked. Im slightly..I mean slightly..like 2mm below the min line..low in the cooling fan reservoir. I'll pick up some Mercon ATF tomorrow and top it off the the full mark and see if that changes anything.

def not a wheel bearing issue, as the noise is definitely coming from under the hood, and is occurring at idle as well as at speed. Wheel bearing will only make a noise while driving/moving.

Thanks Itsnotmydaddys, but its also under my hood,. Right near the break booster I'm sure. It seems to do it most under heat like when I just got stuck in some miserable I-95 traffic over the weekend. But it has done it once (and the first time) right after I switched a filter and I pulled the throttle open while the car was in park with the hood up. I doubt it was the filter but i just switched to a HKS sponge filter instead of the typical pleated filament.

I havent been able to pinpoint precisely where mine is coming from. But Im almost certain it's fan/fan pump related. Definitely something cooling system related. Im almost sure the almost overheating issue today combined with the noise are related. I'll post an update tomorrow after I bring the fan fluid level up to the max mark.

My 2000 V6 has been making the same fan noise, lseguy. I believe that it is a heat issue as well, since my water pump is going out and the LS has been running a little hotter than normal as a result. Not overheating, just hotter than normal. The fan seems to run MUCH more often now, sounds like a jet engine. Let me know how yours turns out!

So that TSB is incorrect? It appears to state the the problem pump is fairly easy to get to..somewhere over by the airbox? But Quik seems to say otherwise?

An just an update. Started car this morning, this time no jet/excessive fan/pump noise from under the hood. Drove 5 miles in 90 degree weather with A/C on, no problem. Stopped and got gas and a quart of Mercon V to bring the Fan reservoir level up from slightly below the MIN mark to the MAX mark. (no leaks of any sort..first time I've added fluid to that reservoir since I bought the car in December of 2002) Restarted car, ran A/C all was well. About 5 miles later, I *think* I could hear the fan/pump/jet noise a little bit. NOt much. Temp needle stayed fine for the next 10 miles of city driving. Pulled into the parking garage just fine.

I have a feeling it's an intermittent pump or fan clutch (is there a fan clutch?) thats about to go out soon. I'll be keeping an eye on it.

Ha ha, I couldn't find that website again and I felt like a idiot after I stated what it said. If it was leaking it might be covered, I had just got the hose replaced and it was only around 70 something bucks on the invoice but it was still covered. Mine made this noise as it was leaking but it leaked kinda funny, it seemed to not leak sometimes and then leak again. Finlay it came out pretty good so I could tell that was the problem.

I used a transmission fluid conditioner thats supposed to stop leaks and things just a few days before I took it in and it slowed it down and stoped the noise until they could fix it all together. Just a thought it might help the pump till you get to it.

No humming, no jet noise, no overheating on the way home today. 21 miles in city traffic, 98 degree weather. A/C blowing cold as usual.

I'll keep a close eye on things.

Plastic water pump??

Just had my mechanic look at my overheating problem finally and it was the water pump. The LOUD fan noise is a defense mechanism that pertains to keeping the motor cool. When your car is borderline starting to overheat or the needle is just above normal the hydralic fan kicks on stronger to try to keep the engine cool.
I'm going to pick the car up today. I will keep you posted if this cures my sporatic overheating problem along with the loud jet engine sound.
Also at one point my coolant spilled out which I though was a crack in my degas bottle. Turns out that since my water pump was acting up the coolant had spilled out of the overflow path.

Any update, LNCED UP?

At lunctime I drove out of the parking garage, onto the main road. Within 5 mins, I heard the jet roar from under the hood, and checked the temp guage. 3/4's. The A/C wasnt on. I immediately put the heat on full blast, then pulled over a block later. Popped the hood, turned the engine off, and slowly opened the coolant tank cap in 1/4 turn increments. The pressure released slowly, bubbling at certain points. After several turns, I was able to remove the cap/release all pressure without fear of scalding myself.

Hopped back into the car, cranked her up, temp guage at half. Within 2 mins, the needle began to creep up again.

Turned the heat on full blast, which brought the needle back down to the halfway mark. I turned the A/C on, and from that point on, no issues.

So..obviously I have something sporadic going on.

Update:
The overheating is becoming more routine. Fan is working fine, and as LNCED Up says, it appears the jet noise is the fan kicking in stronger to attempt to prevent the overheating situation. Mine goes into the jet sound mode as soon as myneedle hits approx 1mm above 1/2 way mark. I've had success getting the temp back down to 1/2 way and staying there by putting the heat on highest setting/full blast for about 1 minute. I can then shut off the heat, and proceed as normal.

I have no coolant leaks at all, and the degas bottle was replaced about a year ago. Water pump and vicinity looks dry.

Im guessing possible random air bubble in the system and/or sticking thermostat.

I'll bleed the system tomorrow, and monitor. Next step is thermostat replacement.

Members online

No members online now.
Back