2000 LS8 AdvanceTrac - turns on by itself, then car dies

Ria2000LS8

New LVC Member
Reaction score
I am in love with this forum, guys - it's been a godsend.
Makes me wish I were a mechanic :D
I've read all I can on my baby's symptoms here, but haven't found quite the same thing:

The AdvanceTrac in my 2000 LS8 engages by itself constantly - even when I have turned it off. The car lurches a few times as if accelerated, then it shuts down.
Just before it dies I get a "Gear Select Data Error".

Previously I could put the car in Park, start it back up, and gingerly drive it back home.

Today when the car shut down, I put it in Park...but it wouldn't let me start it. All the indicator lights are lit up (battery, alt, ABS, etc), but nothing when I turn the key. After about 10 minutes it finally started.

It's been suggested to me that there is a computer chip overheating.
And also a vacuum pinhole leak.
(AC blows hot both sides, was recharged last summer - I've found enough on that here, hoping it's a separate issue - but thought I'd include it just in case)

I should mention I just had new tires installed, along with front tie bars, but this was happening sporadically before then.

I'll be heading to the dealership for diagnosis, but they don't exactly inspire confidence.
Your experience and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

How old is your battery? Condition of alternator? The LS does very strange things with a suspect electrical system.

The LS does very strange things with a suspect electrical system.

Indeed it does. When my battery was failing I had the check advance trac light come on ... And the car wasn't even running, I just sat in it for a few minutes listening to the radio then bam, check trac control. Figured out the battery voltage was low and was no longer able to hold the charge anymore, replaced battery. Problem solved.

Hopefully it'll be just as easy a fix for u!

Good luck

Indeed it does. When my battery was failing I had the check advance trac light come on ... And the car wasn't even running, I just sat in it for a few minutes listening to the radio then bam, check trac control. Figured out the battery voltage was low and was no longer able to hold the charge anymore, replaced battery. Problem solved.

Hopefully it'll be just as easy a fix for u!

Good luck

Wow, you're lucky. Normally the battery is afraid of Failureland and takes the alternator along for company...

You can always tell when you have run your battery down with accessory power. Because when you go to start and it barely fails, the alarm goes off and everything goes full retard.

Indeed it does. When my battery was failing I had the check advance trac light come on ... And the car wasn't even running, I just sat in it for a few minutes listening to the radio then bam, check trac control. ...

Sounds like you did the same thing my wife often does, turned the key to run instead of stopping at accessory. Run drains the battery much faster than accessory does. (In the accessory position, the ABS module, among others, wouldn't be powered so it wouldn't be able to turn the light on.)

Members online

No members online now.
Back