2000 LS V8 Severe Misfire

JustALs

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
so i got this strange misfire after I smelled oil and now car only runs on four piston (1-2-3-4) passenger side, (5-6-7-8) runs weak barely a diff if i unplug 5678 so i checked compression , new plugs proper gaps ,, everything main relays but at WOT it doesnt seem misfire and sounds like its running on all pistons , I checked voltage on the COP'S harness they all got power.
OBD2 Reader tells me Leak at egr and sticky injector on piston #7 and dirty MAF but cleaned it with no noticible cure,
car is stock but gutted the CATS

I did clean the injectors two months ago so I figured the injector for cyl 7 could be completely dead? and obd tells me only 7 is missfiring but it clearly only runs on only the fours on passenger.

Could the egr be stuck open or closed that might cause the whole bank to miss ? cause if only #7 is missing it wouldnt missfire that bad IMO
i even swapped the four cops on other side and same thing they run great on passenger side bank but not on the driver side.
major miss at cruise and idle WOT sounds like all of the dead side getting power but less power.

2000 lsv8 238K

How are you so sure that 5,6, and 8 are not firing. Unplug them, and you'll likely find out that they are firing and it is just #7 that is not.

barely a diff if i unplug 5678

so i got this strange misfire after I smelled oil

Smelled oil from where? Have you checked the oil level since this problem started?

Have you completely removed the coils, (and plug boots), on 5,6,7,8 ... and checked to see if oil is in the plug wells on that bank?

What is the milage on the LS?

Never mind... just saw 238k.

Last edited:
How are you so sure that 5,6, and 8 are not firing. Unplug them, and you'll likely find out that they are firing and it is just #7 that is not.
thanks for the reply!
and I'm sure they are firing a bit but very weak and I put new plugs ngk iridum and in 15 min run they turned black, I unplugged one coil at a time and #5 was downing the engine so I figure it worked, tried #6 and it seemed dead, I tried rhe coil on other side and was well alive so placed it back in and checked #7 #8
#5 works but not #6#7#8 I swapped coils around again and now only #7# #8 seems to be working but not #5#6 even if alll coils are good.

As far as the Oil smell I checked the oil level it was ok changed it just a week ago 5w20 Syn even drained the oil and it was good no oil in plug wells did the vcgs about three years ago

Last edited:
Maybe a jump by one tooth?
Thanks for the reply! Dam I hope not, how could I check it do I need a timing light? I did gaskets three years ago with felpro hope they still good but otherwise I'll just order some new one to be sure

Thanks for the reply! Dam I hope not, how could I check it ...
Pull the valve cover off and turn the crank to the right position and look at the flats on the cams. If you can't get the intake and exhaust flats to line up perfectly, then the exhaust has jumped a tooth.

Pull the valve cover off and turn the crank to the right position and look at the flats on the cams. If you can't get the intake and exhaust flats to line up perfectly, then the exhaust has jumped a tooth.
So even if it jumped would I still have 180psi-178-180-180 on that bank?

So even if it jumped would I still have 180psi-178-180-180 on that bank?
I would not have thought so, but it is a common problem for the gen I 3.9, and not much else would nearly kill one engine bank. It may not be this, but is is a possibility to rule in or out.

Ok so I unplugged the 4 cops of the working side and it runs on 4 of the missing bank but only at 2000rpm + no fuel smell could it be a weak pump or a dead or clogged injector ?

@joegr okay so I got a cat delete a week ago but it feels like the missing bank side exhaust has less exhaust coming out and the running side has alot of presure coming out... is it possible my missing bank is due to a plugged exhaust ? I know the ls has true duals but at the end the H pipe could make it flow from there to other side?
missing bank also gets hotter than the other bank

oh and I forgot to mention that my IAC had oil in it but the car doesn't smoke,, could that be a PCV issue? I was told the ls v8 2000 has no pcv valve??

Pardon my english as it isnt my foreing language xD

Thanks!

Last edited:
Yes, there is a cross over.
Yes, there is no PCV valve, but there is still a PCV system. It does tend to cause some oil to pool in the bottom of the intake manifold. Normally, the catalytic converters keep you from seeing smoke, but if you removed them...

Physically remove the O2 sensor for that bank. If there is an exhaust restriction, that will relieve the pressure and you should get the power back, if a restriction is really the problem.

potato quality on here. a failing ignition\radio capacitor can short to ground and take out the entire bank. XR815096 is the part number

Image 7-14-21 at 1.10 PM.jpeg

Last edited:

potato quality on here. a failing ignition\radio capacitor can short to ground and take out the entire bank. XR815096 is the part number

View attachment 828576293
Wow I didn't know this good catch. so theres one for each bank, where is this"capacitor" located? does ford sell this? cant seem to find one for 2000v8 could I have a source Link please. thanks!

Last edited:
Wow I didn't know this good catch. so theres one for each bank, where is this"capacitor" located? does ford sell this? cant seem to find one for 2000v8 could I have a source Link please. thanks!
at the back, above the fuel rail on both banks. will have a grey connector

s-l1600.jpg

Many thanks will order asap!

Is there any way to test those capacitors?
Yes.
Unplug them. Test between the terminal on the capacitor and ground with an ohm meter. You should get a very high to off-scale reading if they are not shorted. You will get a very low reading if shorted.
I would expect and actual short to take both banks out and blow the COP fuse. An open capacitor might cause enough noise to crash the PCM or cause a whole bunch of false electrical codes.

Crap Jaguarparts.com wont ship to Canada
call a dealer up and see if they can get it. otherwise you can buy it direct from jaguar but they will have to ship from the uk.

XL1Z-18801-AA looks pretty similar and uses the same connector but it’s missing a wire.

i would test it with an ohm meter first. swap between banks as well

@ajv8 @joegr thank you a ton for info and help but I cant seem to find the problem, no vac leaks... I unplugged working side transformer capacitor still runs and the passenger one broke but runs the same... computer says p0307 #7cyl misfire howerver i put another 4 other coils on the mising bank and same thing I even took the fuel rail off and injectors sprays ok they all work no leaks at orings , but less pressure on one side of the exhaust makes me wonder.. will check exhaust tommorow and if its not that idk but might be the pcm?
and if exhaust cam would of skipped would there be less pressure at the exhaust

Last edited:
Possibly a weak or collapsed valve spring???

Bad cam follower, (lifter)???

Still most likely a weak secondary chain tensioner and a jumped tooth.

Either way... I wouldn't be driving it and pushing the engine to WOT... or you will end up needing more engine parts.

You may also want to check your oil pressure with a mechanical gauge.

While not common... some of the gen 1 engines have experienced oil pump failure.

Possibly a weak or collapsed valve spring???

Bad cam follower, (lifter)???

Still most likely a weak secondary chain tensioner and a jumped tooth.

Either way... I wouldn't be driving it and pushing the engine to WOT... or you will end up needing more engine parts.

You may also want to check your oil pressure with a mechanical gauge.

While not common... some of the gen 1 engines have experienced oil pump failure.
update: Since it was only missing on cyl7 from codes , I alsonhad a p0172 bank 1 lean and a p0175 and a p0420 p0430. So I was just thinking that if the timing jumped and was off time wouldnt it affect the whole bank? But also when the engine is running and I unplugg any coil on the side of the misfire they barely did anything so I just went further and removed the valve cover and found out the secondary tensioner was tore up and chain was slack .. Funny thing is wouldnt this set codes for p0305 6 7 8? I was only getting code for the #7

I been searching for secondary timing chain tensioners for 2000lsv8 and could not find any, can someone please pass on some source link for those would appretiate it, in canada or that ships to canada
Thanks for all the help, Cant wait till the old boat gets running good again!

Buy/use only OEM tensioner... if possible.

- Call your local dealer
- Tasca Parts
- Ford Parts Giant

Rock auto ships to Canda... but it's not cheap... They have an aftermarket passenger side tensioner... but that's not gonna help with the problem side.

Members online

No members online now.
Back