2000 Ls v8 Rear LCA source

That's 100% accurate when working under ANY vehicle.

Do NOT rely on the jack. They can (and do) fail.
I'm curious, does throwing a wheel under the car do anything in case a jack and jackstand were to fail? Cause I've seen some people do that but I do not know about it's effectiveness in case s*it went sideways.

Wheels can be used as a safety... but I wouldn't depend on it. Especially if the tire is thinner than the lowest point of the car to the ground (think control arm here).

I also find that most of the time... the tire usually ends up in the way.

Jack stands don't usually fail... unless abused or misused. They are designed to lock in place (with teeth or pins).
Usually not, but it can happen.

Anyway, I do usually throw a tire under as a last chance backup. I also try to stay aware of where I am positioning myself relative to what might crush what part(s) of me.

I always use jack stands in pairs. For example, if I am going to claw underneath the car, with only front tires off the ground, I would use 4 jack stands, two on each side. If all four wheels are off the ground I would use 8 jack stands. Place both jack stands right next to each other.

also try to stay aware of where I am positioning myself relatYive to what might crush what part(s) of me.

Yup... in my line of work... it's called staying out of the "line of fire".

And the above link is why I no longer shop Harbor Fright. I pretty much quit buying from them a decade ago when they stopped selling Goodyear air hose (made in the USA).

The majority of their tools are junk. Some may argue the lifetime warranty... but that does a person no good when they are working on a late night project... and the desperately needed tool breaks.

Lots of Harbor Fright jack failures on Youtube.

Yup... in my line of work... it's called staying out of the "line if fire".

And the above link is why I no longer shop Harbor Fright. I pretty much quit buying from them a decade ago when they stopped selling Goodyear air hose (made in the USA).

The majority of their tools are junk. Some may argue the lifetime warranty... but that does a person no good when they are working on a late night project... and the desperately needed tool breaks.

Lots of Harbor Fright jack failures on Youtube.
I have two of those air hoses. One still new in the package as backup. Those were great hoses.

If all four wheels are off the ground I would use 8 jack stands. Place both jack stands right next to each other.

That seems like a bit of overkill.
Plus IME the jack stands sometimes get in the way... and there are only a few acceptable support points on the LS for jack stands.

I have locking "teeth" type jack stands from the early 70's that have served me well. I have several sets of jack stands... but typically only use 2-4 at a time.

I have two of those air hoses. One still new in the package as backup. Those were great hoses.

Yes they are (were). One (50ft) coil has been on my non-lubricated hose reel for 25+ years. My lubricated hose reel has 50ft of USA hose on it... but I forget the brand.

I also have 250 ft of Mac Tools hose hanging on the wall..
for when I have to reach "the back 40".

I also in the past year... picked up another 4 - new 50ft coils of yellow Continental USA made air hose... from a pawn shop.

They did a buyout from somebody... and were selling the Continental hose for $10 per coil.

I have an air line running from the garage to the basement..
cause I sometimes use air tools in the basement. Plus the extra 4 coils of hose will let me reach the shed (in the "back 80") to work on the tractors and lawn equipment.

A man can never have too much "hose". :)

I stuck with the stock size but went drilled and slotted to try and get rid of heat. Didn't really seem to help a whole lot but i drive pretty extreme. They are cheap and easy to change so longevity was not a factor for me. Got the whole set of four for about what one corner costs on my f-350, haha!

the daytona 3 ton jacks are the same as snap on. i rely on them for my job they’re very good jacks.

Yup. Correct me if I'm wrong... but weren't the Daytona's sold by Grainger (or some other tool supplier)

My jack from the early 70's is starting to get tired... but the original manufacturer (under a different name now) is only 3 hours away on the edge of Lake Michigan.

I keep wanting to drive up there and have them rebuild it... but that hasn't happened yet.

Hopefully they could do it same day. That would allow me to re-tour the area again. Lot's of neat places up/over there.

Hey guys, so a year ago I bought two new Mevotech supreme rear lower control arms at 209$CAD a piece and the bushings are already shot, The outer bushing steel inserts got loose from the control arm shell on all three of them.

I was thinking that they probably broke from doing a one wheel peel with the brakes causing alot of twisting force going directly on to the LCAs bushings. Cheaply made or not im not sure if this is what broke them but definatly not planning to do that again..

I was searching google for some and came across these Moog Rear LCAs at 168$ CAD each free shipping, but they have the same bushing type as the old mevotech ones I got, not sure if they would hold up.. Has anyone tried those? And are they durable?
Thanks!
Check out Tasca, they offer the all the control arms, spindles, & toe rods on backorder. Get Nanolub grease with a needle attachment for the hydrobushing lubing. My 04 LS has 200k+ & still tight. The 06 LS with 70k miles Nanolub ed the all suspension & steering, more flex and smoothness. Good Luck!

Have you ordered backorder items with them? My general experiences with it is that they will take the order, then after you wait a month or two they cancel the order on you. Maybe things have changed though.

Yeah I can't remember if it was tasca or Ford parts giant but they list it and they don't stock it, I ordered it and they charged me and then they refunded my money a few days later once they figured out it was back ordered and no longer exists, lol

Have you ordered backorder items with them? My general experiences with it is that they will take the order, then after you wait a month or two they cancel the order on you. Maybe things have changed though.

Yup... exactly. However... IME those backordered parts on Tasca or FPG are usually able to be ordered directly from a Ford dealer parts department... and picked up in a couple days.

That's not true of all dealer parts, but it seems like the Ford parts warehouse is catering to actual dealerships first.

When dealing wirh Tasca or FPG... call first and get verbal verification that the part is actually in stock... then order it from the website.

I did this with a PS pump for my '95 F-150 and had no issues.

I ordered a bunch of stuff, got everything except for the one corner on the rear. Actually got one side, but only one side, forget which now, still looking for the other and it might end up being a jaguar part by the looks of it, lol

AJV8 good to see another Jag guy on here!

Guys just a note as this does get confusing. The Jaguar S Type R had 4 piston fixed caliper Brembo front brakes from 2003-2005. These are the beautiful eye candy calipers everyone loves. The rears used an additional caliper just for the E-brake function.

Then Jaguar de-contented the "R" type for the last several years of production (2006-2008) and went back to the common 2 piston floating caliper design that just about every other car on the road uses (Including the Lincoln LS). The rears lost the separate E-brake and it was combined with the rest of the caliper again similar to most cars on the road.

We never did find out why but braking performance did not suffer with the change and we were told it was a cost issue as they were dropped across the entire Jaguar lineup and did not return. I currently have a 2014 XJR with massive 380mm front rotors but just plain old dual piston floating calipers. Works outstanding too!

Members online

Back