2000 Lincoln LS V8 Alternator Help PLEASE!!!!

Like we haven't all been there at some point. Wanting to figure it out. Thinking, "how hard can it be?" And then after tearing into the problem finally realizing holy $hit! And by that time it is too late to go back. Your only hope is to keep pushing forward hoping that you will somehow stumble across the solution.

That happens to me every morning the moment after I turn off the alarm clock. :D

bbravo, I've got faith in you. Just don't try to lick the battery to see if it is charged.

I am not going to bother with the idiots from here. But to the ones that want to help the volt meter is reading at 12 and it also goes down that is what made me come to the conclusion that it is the alternator.

I am not going to bother with the idiots from here. But to the ones that want to help the volt meter is reading at 12 and it also goes down that is what made me come to the conclusion that it is the alternator.

Yes, if it is only 12 volts while the engine is running, your charging system is not working. The alternator is a big part of this system, but not the only one. If you already have a new alternator, then you might as well try that. Repeat the voltage test after replacing it.
If it's not 13.8 to 14.5 volts, then the alternator wasn't the real problem. There aren't too many connections to the alternator, so it's not to hard to test those to find out which one(s) are bad. Meanwhile, here's hoping that it is the alternator, and only the alternator.

I have taken out the top screw with the nut and the bottom 2 screws out from the alternator and have also taken the belt off. For some reason I can move the alternator up and now but it will not come off. Don't know if there's any other screw. Any suggestions?????

I have taken out the top screw with the nut and the bottom 2 screws out from the alternator and have also taken the belt off. For some reason I can move the alternator up and now but it will not come off. Don't know if there's any other screw. Any suggestions?????

Search. I only say that because I have seen many comments on this (the alternator being stuck in after removing the bolts), but I haven't changed out one of these.

On the top is there only one screw to take off and one nut only or is there more then one?

There are some metal sleeves that the bolts go through, they can come out a little bit, and into the bracket that the alt is bolted to, causing it to stick.

That could be your issue.

I am only going from memory by what I have read before, so I could be wrong. But it could also be worth checking out.

There are some metal sleeves that the bolts go through, they can come out a little bit, and into the bracket that the alt is bolted to, causing it to stick.

I am only going from memory by what I have read before, so I could be wrong. But it could also be worth checking out.

thats what i was just about to say, i thought t remember reading that from one of quik's post

Generator — 3.9L

Removal

1. Disconnect the battery ground cable. For additional information, refer to «Section 414-01».

2. Remove the air intake tube. For additional information, refer to «Section 303-12».

3. Relieve the accessory drive belt tension and move the belt off the generator pulley. For additional information, refer to «Section 303-05».

4. Raise the vehicle. For additional information, refer to «Section 100-02».

µ 5. Remove the front lower splash shield.

µ 6. Remove the top nut and through bolt.

µ 7. Remove the bolts.

µ 8. Turn the generator slightly to access the generator positive cable nut and remove the nut.

µ 9. Lower the generator slightly and disconnect the electrical connector.

10. Remove the generator.

l Rotate the generator to gain access for removal.

l Remove the generator.

Installation

µ 1. Position the generator and connect the electrical connector.

µ 2. Rotate generator to gain access to the generator positive terminal and install cable and nut.

µ 3. Install the generator and tighten in the sequence shown.

1 Loosely assemble the pivot bolt and nut.

2 Install the expanding bushing and bolt assembly in two stages.

n Stage 1: Tighten the bolt to 20 Nm (15 lb-ft).

n Stage 2: Tighten the bolt an additional 90 degrees.

3 Install the bolt.

4. Install the front lower splash shield.

5. Lower the vehicle. For additional information, refer to «Section 100-02».

6. Install the accessory drive belt. For additional information, refer to «Section 303-05».

7. Install the air intake tube. For additional information, refer to «Section 303-12».

8. Connect the battery cable ground cable. For additional information, refer to «Section 414-01».

Damn stupid :q:q:q:qing, what the :q:q:q:q, how the :q:q:q:q, Damn it. How the hell do you push the :q:q:q:qing metal sleeves back when the stupid thing is on the top of the alternator. It won't let go. I feel like I'm going to break something. Any ideas? HELP! I'm in the middle of this job. I feel like a retard right, not being able to figure this out.

Does anyone know how to push the metal sleeves away from the alternator so that I may remove the alternator. Its on the top bolt hole. Thanks.

Pry the alternator back and fourth with a pry bar or big screw driver. It is a pain but you got to get the metal sleeves to move a little. Changing the alternator in this thing is a pain--I should know I bought a reman from NAPA and I have already changed it again.

OK, I did see that quote by Pektel, I thought maybe they just slid back. OK i guess I need to really crank on it then. Thanks.

OK, I did see that quote by Pektel, I thought maybe they just slid back. OK i guess I need to really crank on it then. Thanks.

I just realized how old this post was. If you need any more help just let me know I have done this a couple of times.

Members online

No members online now.
Back