2000 Lincoln LS V8 Alternator Help PLEASE!!!!

bbravo0325

LVC Member
Reaction score
I am trying to change the alternator on my 2000 Lincoln LS V8 but need help locating the alternator. Can someone please tell me where it is located and the steps on pulling it out and loosening the belt?

In the trunk???????????????? I have gone underneath the car and I can not locate it. I think I am blind

I have located the alternator now how do I move all those hoses out of the way? Also how do I loosen the belt? Please help me.

u sound like an idiot right now, if you cant even follow directions off that link i dont think you should b messin with your alternator.

You had to have learned some how and the same way you learned I am trying to learn. That is why it is a forum to ask questions and to get a respond on how to do things. The only idiots are the ones responding talking crap instead of being helpful. The link does not say how to loosen the belt!

I figured out how to loosen the belt but it is something that can not be done alone. So for now it is something I am going to have to wait to do with some help. I noticed that when I took off the bottom screw there is like a spacer inside of it. Any clue on how to take this off?

You had to have learned some how and the same way you learned I am trying to learn. That is why it is a forum to ask questions and to get a respond on how to do things. The only idiots are the ones responding talking crap instead of being helpful. The link does not say how to loosen the belt!

Okay, everybody starts out not knowing how to do anything, and we all have to learn how to do the things that we learn to do. Here's the problem. Learning to work on a car from the basics up via a remote internet forum is not the way to go. You need to find someone near you who can help you by having reasonable one on one real time dialog and who can point to things while you work on them.

You have already gotten ahead of yourself. For reasons unknown (to us) you have decided that the alternator needs to be changed. The fact that you don't know where the alternator is makes it very clear that you have not been able to do the proper troubleshooting to determine if the alternator is even at fault.

There's another guy on this forum who is quite upset with me when I was only trying to keep him from wasting his money. He bought and installed an alternator that he didn't need. Then he bought a battery that he didn't need. Then he got really mad at me when I tried to point out that his plan to again replace the battery and then some stuff that couldn't begin to be related to his problem was a bad idea and a waste. The reality (from his symptoms) is that he probably has one or two chewed wires that need to be replaced.

So, what problems are you trying to solve? (Or do you just want to join the "hate those you try to help, but don't agree with you" club.)

No I am not going to hate anyone. I appreciate all the help I can get and I am always wanting to learn more. I do have some car experience. I am not dumb either. I know what an alternator looks like but on the Lincoln LS I have never changed the alternator before and as we all know its not the easiest car to change it on. I couldn't locate the alternator because I was looking in the wrong spot but I finally figured it out and I took off all the bolts just now it is a mission to pull out. I also need someone to help me loosen the belt because that is something I can not do by myself as someone needs to push the tensioner while I release the belt from the alternator.

As for trouble shooting I have had to change the battery twice on the car due to the fact that my battery will not last charger no more then 2 days. I have checked to see if any lights or anything stays on while I am away from the car but everything is perfect. I was told that in my case the alternator is what has to be wrong due to what is happening and that is what my conclusion was also.

As for trouble shooting I have had to change the battery twice on the car due to the fact that my battery will not last charger no more then 2 days. I have checked to see if any lights or anything stays on while I am away from the car but everything is perfect. I was told that in my case the alternator is what has to be wrong due to what is happening and that is what my conclusion was also.

I'm afraid that you received some bad advice there. It sounds more like you have a parasitic drain somewhere. The source of the drain could be the alternator, but usually it is not. Usually, it is one of the electronic modules. Are you determined to change out the alternator anyway. Or would you be willing to get a cheap DMM and do some directed testing to try and find the real problem (or to confirm that the alternator is indeed the issue).

Edit - Your meaning is not as clear to me on re-read.
Do you mean that the battery goes dead if the car sits for a few days, or does it go dead while driving? Is the alternator light on? If not, does it come on when you turn the key on before starting the engine?

What is a DMM? The battery goes dead if it sits for a few days. I changed the battery for the 2 time last tuesday. Car was running perfectly fine and the last time I drove it was Thursday. I went out of town Friday and on Sunday tried cranking the car on and the battery was dead again

Looks like you need Mr. Wizard's help.. contact jamie97lsc..he has the knowledge and the golden tools to change it in 10 minutes...hell, he's the fastest blend door changer this side of the Mississippi! :)

I have no mechanics to trust down here in Miami. Miami is only filled with crooks!

Gramps would help you.. but it's still to Nice to leave NY .besides.. i don't like Florida crooks..:( must be all that Sunshine fry's the brain ....good luck !

What is a DMM? The battery goes dead if it sits for a few days. I changed the battery for the 2 time last tuesday. Car was running perfectly fine and the last time I drove it was Thursday. I went out of town Friday and on Sunday tried cranking the car on and the battery was dead again

DMM = Digital Multi-Meter. You need one that can measure voltage (they all can) and DC current up to at least 10A (not all go that high, many go to 20A).
You can get one at Radio Shack, Sears, or probably most auto parts stores.

The first thing to check is the battery voltage while the car is running. It should be between 13.8 and 14.5V. I think that you will find that it is. This will mean that the alternator is correctly charging the car.

The next step (with the car off) is to disconnect the negative battery cable. Now set the DMM to the current range and connect it from the negative battery post to the car's ground (the negative battery cable that you disconnected). You have to do this in a way that it will stay connected for an hour or two, not just held on with your hand. Jumper cables are good for this.

Now, you will have to wait about an half hour for all the electronics in the car to go to sleep. If the current reading is still over 50mA after a half hour, you have a drain. (I think you already know that.)

Next, you start removing fuses one by one from the rear fuse box, till the load drops below 50 mA. After this, it gets complicated, but if you do all this and report the results, we will help.

i need to change my engine can anyone help me loosen the 4th bolt and give me a step by step on how to do it? i cant locate the engine as you all know this lincoln ls is a pain to work on. i have looked anywhere and searched the forum and cant find it. any help is appreciated

DMM = Digital Multi-Meter. You need one that can measure voltage (they all can) and DC current up to at least 10A (not all go that high, many go to 20A).
You can get one at Radio Shack, Sears, or probably most auto parts stores.

The first thing to check is the battery voltage while the car is running. It should be between 13.8 and 14.5V. I think that you will find that it is. This will mean that the alternator is correctly charging the car.

The next step (with the car off) is to disconnect the negative battery cable. Now set the DMM to the current range and connect it from the negative battery post to the car's ground (the negative battery cable that you disconnected). You have to do this in a way that it will stay connected for an hour or two, not just held on with your hand. Jumper cables are good for this.

Now, you will have to wait about an half hour for all the electronics in the car to go to sleep. If the current reading is still over 50mA after a half hour, you have a drain. (I think you already know that.)

Next, you start removing fuses one by one from the rear fuse box, till the load drops below 50 mA. After this, it gets complicated, but if you do all this and report the results, we will help.

Let him go!!! He can't find the alternator, what makes you think he can read a meter???

it's not worth the headache.

Members online

Back