2000 Lincoln LS question...

sLam

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I just bought a 2000 Lincoln LS with about 30,000 miles on it. I love the car but I have a question. Yesterday the external air temp. was showing -38F when it was really about 70F outside. I read the owners manual and it says that the A/C will not work unless it's >35F outside..and this was true because the A/C would not get cold no matter what I did. When I woke up this morning about to take the car back to the dealership the problem was gone..it showed the correct external temp and the a/c was cold.

I just want to know how common this problem is and do I really need to take the car back to the dealership. Or if there is an easy fix.

This car will be located in Arizona so I NEED to have COLD a/c!

-slam

It sounds like your Dual Automatic Temperature Control (DATC) unit is going bad. Mine went on the blink and the dealer replaced it under warranty. There is a TSB on this problem.

try disconnecting the battery for 10mins - which will reset the PCM - see if the issue re-occurs. many of these one-time issue seems to go away and never return.....

Another DATC inquiry

Quik LS said:
try disconnecting the battery for 10mins - which will reset the PCM - see if the issue re-occurs. many of these one-time issue seems to go away and never return.....

I have a 2001 LS with 50K. The DATC is putting out cold air on the drivers side and warm on the passangers side with the heat set at 90. I replaced the solinoid unit with no improvement. Should I try the battery option or should I be looking at the DATC module?

Can anyone elaborate on the TSB?

Thanks

TBREEZE

Straight from Alldaydiy.com:

A/C - Lack of Cooling From Driver/Passenger Vents
Article No.
03-3-4

02/17/03

CLIMATE CONTROL - LACK OF COOLING FROM
DRIVER AND/OR PASSENGER SIDE VENT -
VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH DUAL AUTOMATIC
TEMPERATURE CONTROL (DATC) ONLY

FORD:
2002 THUNDERBIRD

LINCOLN:
2000-2002 LS

Article 00-15-3 is being republished in its entirety to update the models covered and to update the Basic Causal Part number.

ISSUE

Some vehicles may exhibit a lack of A/C cooling from either the driver or passenger side vents or an extreme temperature difference between the driver and passenger side on vehicles with DATC (Dual Automatic Temperature Control): This may be caused by a faulty DCCV (Dual Coolant Control Valve), a faulty DATC control assembly, or faulty electrical circuits.

ACTION

Inspect and service as necessary, electrical circuits, DCCV and DATC control assembly. Refer to the following Service Procedure to aid in diagnosis and repair.

TSB03-3-4.gif

The Repair Continues

Grey Ghost......Thanks for the info. I replaced the Coolant Control Valve last weekend and unfortunately the problem is still there.
I researched the DATC Module using the P/N you provided XW4Z-19980-CA. After inquirng at the dealer (then recovering after he told me the price) I have found a module through a salvage facility. The part number is XW4H-19980-BN Are there any specific compatability concerns changing a part out this way?

LINCOLN:
2000-2002 LS

Article 00-15-3 is being republished in its entirety to update the models covered and to update the Basic Causal Part number.

ISSUE

Some vehicles may exhibit a lack of A/C cooling from either the driver or passenger side vents or an extreme temperature difference between the driver and passenger side on vehicles with DATC (Dual Automatic Temperature Control): This may be caused by a faulty DCCV (Dual Coolant Control Valve), a faulty DATC control assembly, or faulty electrical circuits.

ACTION

Inspect and service as necessary, electrical circuits, DCCV and DATC control assembly. Refer to the following Service Procedure to aid in diagnosis and repair.

TSB03-3-4.gif
[/QUOTE]

I don't see why it wouldn't be compatible. I see them pop up on eBay quite a bit. If you've replaced the coolant valve and it didn't fix the problem then it's gotta be the DATC.

DATC Problem updated. After replacing the DATC Module, the coolant control valve a few sensors and a relay or two, my bill is over $1200. Unfortunately the problem is still there. Cold air out the drivers side and less than warm out the passenger side. (Since this began, the heat out the passenger side is less than when I first took it in)
The service department now suggests it may be a machanical failure of some kind relating to one of the doors inside the dash. Mind you this guess would require taking the dash apart (10 hrs of shop labor) and then the price of whatever part replacement may be required. For what I have into this repair I could buy a used car with a lever that moves from the blue side to the red and puts out heat. The used car would have four wheels an engine and everything else along with the heater. :Bang
This area of the LS appears to be over engineered and if thats the trend then Lincoln must to a better job with reliability. :soapbox:
Man this is putting a damper on my Lincoln experience. Any suggestions from anybody? ARRRRRGH! :feedback

Last edited:
A/c Trouble

TBreeze said:
DATC Problem updated. After replacing the DATC Module, the coolant control valve a few sensors and a relay or two, my bill is over $1200. Unfortunately the problem is still there. Cold air out the drivers side and less than warm out the passenger side. (Since this began, the heat out the passenger side is less than when I first took it in)
The service department now suggests it may be a machanical failure of some kind relating to one of the doors inside the dash. Mind you this guess would require taking the dash apart (10 hrs of shop labor) and then the price of whatever part replacement may be required. For what I have into this repair I could buy a used car with a lever that moves from the blue side to the red and puts out heat. The used car would have four wheels an engine and everything else along with the heater. :Bang
This area of the LS appears to be over engineered and if thats the trend then Lincoln must to a better job with reliability. :soapbox:
Man this is putting a damper on my Lincoln experience. Any suggestions from anybody? ARRRRRGH! :feedback

Hi,
I'm having trouble with My air cond. on my 2002 LS, it works fine at times but then the drivers side vent start blowing hot air. I think it may be a DATC going bad. Can you tell me how to remove this part? I think I read somewhere that it is located on the bottom of the radio. Do you know how to remove the radio. Any help you can give me on this will be great.
Thanks,
Ken

a/c

I just took my car to the dealership last night to have them check out the same thing. Along with the front end clunk, and a tranny problem. I'll post later on today and let you know what they found.

Members online

Back