2000 lincoln LS help...PLEASE....

vp6799

LVC Member
Reaction score
I have a 2000 lincoln LS and man has it been a dreadfull car. :Bang My problem now which is why I cam across this forum whic has answered a couple of other questions that I had.

I was driving it down the freeway the other day and the ABS light came on. Then a couple of miles after, the BRAKE and the TRACTION lights also came on. So all 3 lights came on. Well I got to where I was going and shut the car off. When I got back and started it , just the ABS light was on. :Bang

Now tonight. All 3 lights came on again, and this time they didn't shut off when I restarted the car. :Bang :Bang :soapbox: :Bang :Bang

Has anyone had this problem, or know what would cause it?????
Would it do this if it needed brake pads? It has been squeling for about 1 week, not bad just when i step on the brakes hard.

vp6799 said:
I have a 2000 lincoln LS and man has it been a dreadfull car. :Bang My problem now which is why I cam across this forum whic has answered a couple of other questions that I had.

I was driving it down the freeway the other day and the ABS light came on. Then a couple of miles after, the BRAKE and the TRACTION lights also came on. So all 3 lights came on. Well I got to where I was going and shut the car off. When I got back and started it , just the ABS light was on. :Bang

Now tonight. All 3 lights came on again, and this time they didn't shut off when I restarted the car. :Bang :Bang :soapbox: :Bang :Bang

Has anyone had this problem, or know what would cause it?????
Would it do this if it needed brake pads? It has been squeling for about 1 week, not bad just when i step on the brakes hard.

only thing i can tell you for sure is check your brake pads, cuz i let my brakes squeal for a week, and sunday they started GRINDING!! not much of a warning from squeaking to grinding!!! had to replace them & get new rotors!!
brake pads: 70$ front, $77 rear (napa ceramix) rotors $16 each rear & 31$ each front!!! not cool!!

my traction control light has only flashed on & off for me. thats just when its in use. try pressing the button to turn it off..?

my airbag light came on one day (about 3 months ago) and dealership wants $80 just for diag. :Bang so i dont care & i'm letting it stay on! one day i'll check the wiring underneath the drivers seat & if not, that airbag can wait... i've been in accidents w/o airbags & was glad i DIDNT have airbags, so blah! it is annoying though.. no beeping thank god! my heated seat is dead too... :(

someone on here i'm sure has had your problems... i feel your pain!! :W

maybe an abs wheel sensor. It sends the signal to the ecu for all three of your problems. if the traction light is on then im guessing it has to be in the rear. Check it out

Most of the time, it is a speed sensor that goes bad. The abs and traction control rely on constant signals from the the speed sensors to detect a traction problem or brake lock up. If there is any interruption in the signal, it will disable the abs and i'm guessing the traction control also on these cars. Solution...go get a diagnostic to figure out exactly which one it is.

right - all three - Traction Control, ABS and Brake - use the brakes/ABS system.

As a quick check - look at your brack fliud level, make sure it is right where it needs to be - not too high or low. Next clean the master cylinder cap - and make sure it's tight - if it cannot hold the pressure it will cause the symptoms you noticed.

but likely - it's the abs wheel sensor.

Thanks for the help guys. I am going to go and try to get the code read today.

When all the light are on. It doesn't do anything when I press the traction control button, and the brakes feel spongey too. :give

it might be worth paying the edaler the diag fee to see if you can fix it yourself if the ODB code does not offer up any clues but it means you might be without your car for a day or two.

I had dropped it off a couple of hours ago to a garage across the street from where I work. They just called me and told me that it is the front right wheel sensor. So, I guess it's the ABS sensor that i'm going to buy. :wrench

but when I went to pick it up. I noticed that the odometer and trip odometer wern't working. So I looked at the speedo and it wasn't working either. Could the speed sensor cause a screwey code like this? Or would it also happen to be that the speed sensor is also bad??? :Bang :slam

did you get the pcm code? If the vehicle speed sensor is bad you should be able to repalce it yourself. I checked alldata.com to see if I could find the part number and list price but they were not posted. You can contact 5 star and ask them for a quote. I will look for some better instructions than what alldata has it only mentions 2 or three steps. Raise car, disconnect electrical connector and something else. The illustration sucks so I can't hardly tell where it is.

judging by the description it doesnt sound like the reason for what you are seeing:

The Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) is a variable reluctance or Hall-effect sensor that generates a waveform with a frequency that is proportional to the speed of the vehicle. If the vehicle is moving at a relatively low velocity, the sensor produces a signal with a low frequency. As the vehicle velocity increases, the sensor generates a signal with a higher frequency.

The PCM uses the frequency signal generated by the VSS (and other inputs) to control such parameters as fuel injection, ignition control, transmission transaxle shift scheduling and torque converter clutch scheduling.

So in all reality, I should replace the speed sensor too while im in there.. :wrench

pin point system test for inoperative instrument panel states if DTC U1041 refer to ABS. If it is a different code the list broadens greatly. If yuo can hit an autozone and have them read the pcm document the code(s) and post it here as soon as you can.

Will the computer at autozone give me all of the codes? I have heard that it doesn't read all of the codes. I know it won't tell me what some codes are, but will it at least give me all of the codes that are in the system?

Do I have to go there while my speedo isn't working, because after I got home, I went back out and it was working and so was the odometer too.

the wheel speed sensor may have started feeding data to the pcm. I would only go to autozone if the CEL is on otherwise it isnt worth the visit as most AZs scantools do not read codes in a pending status on the ones that throw the CEL.

yes that's what sucks. There is no CEL light on. Just the ABS, TRACTION CONTROL, ANDBRAKE lights are on like they were before. Do you think that the ABS sensor could malfunction the speedo?? if it's not getting the right signal??

I dont think so. this car may have other issues. I think thats the biggest disadvatage to a luxury car, the complicated electronics.

There was no repairs done yet to the car. All those lights came on first. After I picked up the car I noticed that the odometer and speedo wasn't working. When I went to leave my house about an hour after I got it home, I noticed that the speedo and odometer were working. But the lights were still on. Would the CEL light come on if the speed sensor was malfunctioning??

I would assume then since no work has been done that the problem(s) you are having are related to the component diagnosed by the shop. I was under the impression that you had them fix/replace the component already.

No, the abs sensor is what came up to be the problem for all the abs,traction control,brake lights coming on. I haven't replaced that yet. I will be this weekend.

So, I should wait until I replace that and see if the speedo still screws up then.

Indeed, fix that first then observe the instrument cluster. From what I gathered reading the pinpoint test procedures instrumentation problems were first relate to the ABS.

Thank you for all of the help. I will replace the abs sensor this weekend, and then observe to see if the speedo screws up again.

Victor

Members online

No members online now.
Back