20 Inch Chromes Shuddering Feeling?

Lincoln Pimpin'

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I have 20 Inch Chrome rims on my 97 Lincoln Town Car. When I take it on the highway it has a feeling of the tires being out of balanced, i've already had them balanced and it still feels like it.

I don't think it should be feeling like that, even tho the tires are stiff and have a weird aggressive tread design shouldn't it feel smooth?

I was thinking maybe an alignment:/

What do you think?

It has to be something with the alignment like a bad part or something. Or the place I have had it balanced 3 times just can't get it right. Which is weird they are a rim place.

It could be a number of things. By putting a different diameter wheel and tire combination on the car you are affecting the "harmony" of all the rotating components from the engine down to the brake rotors. You see, all rotating assemblies have a speed at which they will run rough no matter how well balanced they are. It is called the critical speed. The increase in weight from your bigger wheels and tires coupled with a reduction in the highway running speed of the engine, transmission, and drive shaft could have ganged up on you to created the issue. If you changed your rear end gear to re-gain the RPMs you lost at a given speed that could be another issue. Going to another different gear may erase your problem.

But with the above mentioned, I have a prime suspect that no one has mentioned yet. . . .

You used the stock brakes yes?

Think about it. . . your wheels are heavier, which means there is more for your brakes to slow down. This could be significant since you've put more mass further away from the center of the hub and the relationship describing the inertia of a given mass is cubed with relation to its diameter. There are too many unknowns here for me to quantify how much more inertia your brakes are working against but I guarantee you for a given vehicle speed its more. The result is hotter running brakes and, likely, warped disks.

But wait its worse. . . . Your wheels are bigger around, but your brakes stayed the same. As a result your brakes have less mechanical advantage to stop the car AND reduced cooling. Even if the inertia of the wheel were the same you still have to stop the same size car but with less mechanical advantage meaning you are applying more force to the disks to stop the car at a given speed. The result is hotter and, likely, warped disks.

Hmmm very interesting. I have been complaining about my brakes feeling weird (bad) and have been wanting to change them.

Would changing the brakes stand a good job at fixing the problem do you think?

What about an alignment?

Keep in mind I'm not just talking new pads here, I'm talking new disks. That will add about $70 to your brake job.

keep in mind though that if the disks are warped changing them will only temporarily fix the problem. Honestly with your bigger wheel and tire combination you need to get bigger disks so you can gain back the cooling and mechanical advantage that you lost. Besides, they'll look better under your rims anyway!

I doubt alignment is your issue, but it never hurts to make sure its dialed in. It will ultimately save you a TON on tires. (i bet those low pros are expensive)

I see. I will look into that in these coming weeks here. I am getting transferred into seafood this next week and i'ma be making alot more money.

Thanks bro.

Yes I believe they are. I am going to align it soon here lol. Week or so. Cause this deal is annoying the hell out of me lol.

If that doesn't work i'm going to look into that brake deal. I've already been wanting to do that because they feel bad and now I think I know why... Too much friction. Coming down hills is scary lol.

Haha. You come here ask 1 question about wheels and we tell you to do a front end rebuild.

I think that :q:q:q:qs funny lol

Can you post a picture of your car from the front looking down the side of the vehicle like you did on my post about "EATC ERROR CODES" in a larger format? I may be able to help you with one of your issues with your wheels. I have had 20 inch wheels for 3 years and never had any issue with shuddering.

Your wheel(s) are eather bent, defective, ridiculously out of balance ( ignorant employees ), belts shifted in tire(s), wrong offset, wheel hub(s) assembly bent (curbs + winter = bent hub assembly) thus throwing your whole braking ability out the window (* one of your aforementioned issues*)

Congratulations on the new purchase of a used car. Typically I've found that when I've bought these cars I have had to fix others mistakes and neglect that has accumulated over time. Car Wars, but I love every minute of it like they were my last. Good luck and keep 'em clean!

2640_61096353129_502338129_1448443_1484214_n.jpg

I'm going to align it tomorrow. Someone said the offset is wrong but the rim guy insists I align it lol.

Their machine only goes up to 50mph and the shuddering doesn't seem to start happening til about 65ish and at 70 it rly gets annoying.

check lug nuts and see if they arnt stripped or loose... had it happen to me when I got new tires, and it shuddered like crazy, felt like the front end wasn't tracking right...

Who cares about a silly little shudder when you're pimpin' 20's!?

Bling Bling, y0! w0rd! :D

I don't think an alignment is going to solve your woes though. I hope it does, but I doubt it.

What is the offset of the wagon wheels you're running now? Might need some adapters?

I really doubt an alignment will fix anything and the rotors arent far fetched especially with the big wheels all you need on that end is new rotors and get ceramic pads theyll take the punishment. But the wheels are probably the cause they weigh more they are taller and wider. it may never go away. hence the term low and slow.:cool:

I really don't think it's brake problems caused by big wheels... It could be brake issues, but not because of 20 inch rims... People run 20's on stock cars ALL THE TIME...

hub-centric rings will solve your issue, wheels are balanced @ the hub, if your wheels aren't tight around your hubs, which they won't be with universal fit wheels, they're riding on your lugs. Which means you're not balanced, reguardless of how well your wheels are balanced. Test my theory & put your factory's back on. If the shudder goes away, it's because your factory wheels are made to fit your hubs.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.
Back