1st Gen. LS: getting into outer tail light housing! HELP PLZ

jrockcentral1

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
whatsup everyone. The "courtesy light"( not sure the technical term, the one that just stays on) in the tail-light went out and am a litle unsure as to how the hell I'm supposed to get into the outer tail light. :shifty:

I searched and found almost exclusively information on sealing leaky tail lights, nothing really helpful there, so I am appealing to the forum for a little clarification and insight.

I also wanted to upgrade the tail lights to a LED cluster (while I'm in there :D ) to make the car seem a little more up with the times and found these on Ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2-RE...ryZ33713QQihZ018QQitemZ280103659749QQtcZphoto

Anyone running these or anything similar in their tails? Comments? Bueller? Bueller?

as for getting to the tail light just pull back the side covering on the inside of the trunk. IIRC there are 3 nuts or bolts that hold it in (possibly 8mm or 7mm?) not sure but i had the tools to do it. Anyways the whole housing comes out and you can take out lights individually from there.

People have talked about the led tails I know that and so far i think with the bulbs the only thing that goes wrong is something with the electrical draw. All it does is say tail light out so if you dont mind just put them in but if you do i think people have put in a transistor or seomthign there.

good luck

pull back the carpet - there are three 11mm nuts holding the unit onto the quarter panel. You'll need a deep socket.

the LED light will trip your 'bulb out' sensor unless you add the resistor in parallel to trick the circuit.

okay thanks for the help!
It actually doesn't seem that hard I guess I was a little intimidated by the housing compared to the ease of the reverse + LP lights :D

Members online

Back