1998 pearlesent UNprogress thread

ASMBLYLINE

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Ok so I've been meaning to post a progress thread but I've been so busy with trying to finish the car and buy a house and blah blah blah that I haven't got around to it. But now I have no choice but to share my unfortune.

Here's what I did over the last few months.
1. Junk yard motor- all seals and gaskets, electric water pump.
2. Mild Jmodded trans- new filter, front seal, rear seal, stock TC
3. 4.30 gears auburn LSD

So I finally finished her and registered today. I've been driving her for two days with no issues except a slight gear whine on decel, which I planned on
taking care of. Really good acceleration, trans shifts really really nicely!

Everything is fine yesterday and today until on my way home from work I get cut off coming onto an onramp to which I proceeded to show my new friend the passing gear. So the car reacted the same it has every time I've mashed the gas so far. (2 days) But I looked in the rear view to see billowing smoke pouring out from under the car!
842c40c5.gif

3e623c68.gif

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn104/asmblyline/3e623c68.jpg[/IM
G][ATTACH=full]828531687[/ATTACH][ATTACH=full]828531688[/ATTACH]
Great first day!
So I found that the oil blew out the front trans seal. Do you guys think there is any other possible cause besides brand new seal failure? Could the jmod have anything to do with it? Has this happened to anyone else?

So it looks like I have a date tonight with some beer and a tranny!

Attachments

• 49dbdfa6.gif
    49dbdfa6.gif
    3.6 KB · Views: 28
  • 80061cfb.gif
    80061cfb.gif
    3.6 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Loose fitting? You mean the seal fitting loosely? The install is pretty straight forward but that's definetly a possibility. As far as the bushing do you mean where the seal rides on the input shaft?

That sucks. :(

Usually there is a reason a seal blows and in most cases, it's a worn bushing (or bad bearing). It is more common on the rear, but I would suppose the same is true for the front.

Ok I got the tranny out and found that the seal blew out of the bore it sits in. The rubber part was fine. This happened under WOT. like there was too much pressure behind the seal pushing it out. I don't get it. One thing is when I did the j mod hole number 6. The write up said if you have a one way clutch diode you can open that to a slot which I didn't do. You guys think that could be the cause?

Or could It be possible the TC wasn't in all the way and not up against the seal? I really don't wanna put it back together and have this happen again!

Ya this sucks!
910cee5a.gif

24ead56c.gif

I think this was my fastest time yet! 3 hours flat for rear end and trans.

Or could It be possible the TC wasn't in all the way and not up against the seal? I really don't wanna put it back together and have this happen again!

I'm pretty certain the TC does not "hold" the seal in place. But you do need to triple check it goes all the way. Sometimes it can be quite contrary.

As for the J-mod, I remember doing the slot but I'm not sure that would have any bearing.

Ya I know your right driller I'm just grasping at straws. Bottom line is I'm gonna have to put it back together and hope for the best. what I'm thinking is the most likely cause is maybe the last time I pulled the tranny out the TC slipped out a bit and almost fell out. (I remember this vaguely) maybe when that happened the TC shaft pulled on the top of the seal a bit. Well it is what it is I guess. I should have it back together later today. Thanks for the suggestions.

I don't recall the name, but I think Permatex makes a sealant to brush on the OD of the seal body if you're re-using the seal.

ASMBLYLINE;829898 I think this was my fastest time yet! 3 hours flat for rear end and trans.[/QUOTE said:
I call :bsflag::bsflag: 3 hrs to pull and reinstall no way

Ummm....well if you take a look at those pictures you will notice the trans and rear sitting on the floor. So I was referring to a 3 hour disassembly time.

Also...
I should have it back together later today.

That means it's not back together yet but I could understand the confusion.

And driller I already have a brand new seal that I guess is supposed to be better. It has rubber around the OD instead of metal with that green sealant. So I'm thinking if using some adhesive around the OD like loctite bearing retainer or the anaerobic purple sealent by loctite. I use that stuff on heavy equipment all the time and it's really good stuff. Just not sure if it's any good on rubber.

The only seals I've seen blown completely out were shaft seals on hydraulic motors when the case drain pressure was too much. So I'm not sure which type would be better.

Adhesive of some type would probably be good insurance.

Loose fitting? You mean the seal fitting loosely? The install is pretty straight forward but that's definetly a possibility. As far as the bushing do you mean where the seal rides on the input shaft?

Ya I meant loose fitting seal

There's a bushing that the torque sits in and if it is wiped it can cause seal to pop, I've always used oem seals right from dealership and never had a issue, but seeings it happened at WOT it sounds like maybe it didn't fit tight enough or a inferior seal

Well it's all back together and took my Fiance and daughter out to eat on her maiden voyage. Everyone cross your fingers. We all won't fit in the tow truck so...

Members online

No members online now.
Back