1998 Mark VIII LSC transmission

1995 Mark VIII

LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, my brother has a 1998 Mark VIII LSC and it is leaking tranny fluid all over the exhaust and causing it to smoke. I have a 1995 Mark VIII base and mine barely leaks fluid at all. Is that just a 98 problem?? And what would be causing it to leak and where from?? Is it maybe just the pan??

Thanks, Vic

We changed the tranny fluid on it and reused the same seal, and it wasn't leaking before. It is leaking all over the passenger side exhaust.

We changed the tranny fluid on it and reused the same seal, and it wasn't leaking before. It is leaking all over the passenger side exhaust.

Did you put the seal on the same way it came off? You can use it over and over but it's only supposed to face one way. I think I would change seals with a new one because now it sounds like that one is ruined.

Yeah I'm not sure if we got it on the right way. I think I'm going to pull the pan down and put the new one on. Thanks for your help. I also had one more question too. When we put the heater on, on his car it blows, but it only blows cold?? What could that be?? Thanks, Vic

I have the same leak but was told it's coming from the rear transmission seal on the tail of the transmission. Have to remove fuel tank to remove drive shaft, is what I was told. So waiting until the fuel pump needs changing.

But now I'll have to check this o-ring and see it that's the actual problem.

I have the same leak but was told it's coming from the rear transmission seal on the tail of the transmission. Have to remove fuel tank to remove drive shaft, is what I was told. So waiting until the fuel pump needs changing.

But now I'll have to check this o-ring and see it that's the actual problem.
I was told the exact about the rear seal, probably a good call to wait. Although a full rebuild for someone's who mechanically inclined would only run you about $400-$500, this is my train of thought on main seals.

Members online

Back