1998 Mark viii Alternator change instructions

drinkglory

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Hi guys I can not find a good instruction article showing how to change my Alternator on a 1998 Mark viii. I need one that very complete with tools needed. I am not good at repairing cars.
Thanks everyone.

Hi guys I can not find a good instruction article showing how to change my Alternator on a 1998 Mark viii. I need one that very complete with tools needed. I am not good at repairing cars.
Thanks everyone.

You need a 10mm socket and ratchet with short extension and a 1/2" or 3/4" pry bar I think and just push the belt tensioner down and remove the belt off the alternator. Loosen the 4 bolts on the top, unplug and take the nut off the pigtail with the same socket and pull it out. It's pretty easy. I can do one in a parking lot in about 8 to 10 min.

You need a 10mm socket and ratchet with short extension and a 1/2" or 3/4" pry bar I think and just push the belt tensioner down and remove the belt off the alternator. Loosen the 4 bolts on the top, unplug and take the nut off the pigtail with the same socket and pull it out. It's pretty easy. I can do one in a parking lot in about 8 to 10 min.

The 98's don't have 2 lower bolts at the bottom like the gen1's do?

1/2 drive breaker bar is good for removing the belt.
from there on out, a 3/8s ratchet, some extensions, and a 10 mm socket is what you should need.
its very, very easy. i can change one in like 8 minutes.

it is a good idea to disconnect the battery.

Funny you post this now.... I had to replace my alt on Tuesday... Returned from a 600 mile highway trip to hear what sounded like a jet engine under my hood. It took me longer to source a used part from the salvage yard than it did to install it. Super easy.....

Here's what I did.

1. Disconnect battery cables

2. Loosen belt tention, remove belt from alt, but nothing else.

3. Remove top 4 10mm bolts.

4. Unplug connector, remove nut for 2nd connector.

5. Loosen 2 lower bolts.

6. Drive a my company car to salvage yard and rummage through big hoppers of used alternators until I found one "Mark 8 87k" written on it. Paid $40 and took it home.

7. Installed alternator reverse of removal.

I bet I spent 15 minutes changing the part, 5 minutes of that were spent searching for the socket that fell into the cooling fan.

Members online

No members online now.
Back