• Yes

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters

CountVak

New LVC Member
Reaction score
I have a 97 Mark VIII LSC. Recently the right rear air bag started to deflate whenever someone sits in the back seat or if I put a load in the trunk. Since the air bag itself will hold air most of the time I am assuming that the air bag is not the problem as I had all four replace about 3 years ago and they have less than 10,000 miles on them. The vehicle will also lower in the back whenever I reach highway speeds or drive on the freeway over about 60 mph. Lately the bag is intermittent in it's ability to fill with air and there is no obvious trend as to when it will deflate or hold air. I am guaranteed a deflation even if my 90 pound daughter sits in the back of the car. I am leaning toward the rear solenoid for the right rear air bag as being the malfunctioning issue. Does anyone have any additional insight in the resolution of this problem as it is becoming more and more of an issue in my daily drive. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

It is possible it could be a rear solenoid. Did you do the airbag change yourself? or was it done by a mechanic? Or better yet did you buy it from the previous owner and they told you it was replaced? Either way, I would check the solenoid. It may not be seated into the bag properly. A cheap fix would be is to change the o-ring. My guess is, the o-ring could be pinched or bad, and the air is escaping through the path of least resistance.

Instead of speculating on the net go get some soapy water and find out where the leak is coming from and quit guessing...

Lincoln Rear Air Bags

Did you have OEM bags put back in or used bags or new aftermarket bags? I wouldn't think the one solenoid in the back would be causing that. I say bad bag (s)

I had all four bags replaced with new Lincoln Bags at the Lincoln dealership. The right rear side is the most lowered side of the vehicle and when the air is release it can be heard coming out from this side but cannot determine where it is leaking. I have examined the bag and it appears in good condition and since it is the side that the air is being released from this is where I believe the issue to be located.

I had all four bags replaced at the same time at the Lincoln dealership. The air can be heard coming from this side when it is released which is not all the time but it is becoming more frequent and a problem especially with freeway driving.

The problem is the leak is not predictable and sometimes the car will be up for weeks, but then suddenly it will be down for days. Sometimes it will pump-up and sometimes it will lift the drivers side rear but the passenger side rear will not lift.

I have talked to a mechanic I believe with the Arrnot suspension hotline and he thought it was the height control sensor in the rear?

When the air is release it is very quick also and only takes a couple seconds to lower and the passenger side rear will be the most lowered of the two sides of the vehicle.

This is why I don't believe it to be a leak as it is not slow it is very rapid and audible when the vehicle lowers.

I have talked to a mechanic I believe with the Arrnot suspension hotline and he thought it was the height control sensor in the rear?

When the air is release it is very quick also and only takes a couple seconds to lower and the passenger side rear will be the most lowered of the two sides of the vehicle.

This is why I don't believe it to be a leak as it is not slow it is very rapid and audible when the vehicle lowers.

Well, the rear of the car only has 1 height sensor so both sides of the rear work in tandem. This should eliminate your height sensor as the problem. So if your passenger side is lower than your drivers side it would indicate the issue noted above. KK said it best, soap & water. GMAN makes a great point too about removing that solenoid & checking the O rings. Both are very easy to do & an O ring can be had for next to nothing.

Thank you! It's Nice to speak with those who know!

Thank you everyone! Solved! It was a hole in the rear air bag! So much for the other Experts! Thanks again for your help and Man, what an easy fix! Double Thank You!

CountVak

Members online

No members online now.
Back