1997 Mark VIII LSC Blk/Blk: Finally here.

Does the Xcal2 read codes?

I have read a bunch of threads about "performance" coils. I am not looking at the Accel coils for a performance upgrade, but they are just a lot cheaper. Is it worth it from a monetary standpoint? How long will they last? A motorcraft coil cost me 65 bucks, but I can get an Accel coil for 25. Thoughts?

I was editing and accidentally edited too much I see. :) Its back now, and people won't think you are crazy and talking to yourself. lol.

Summit has Motorcraft coils for $50, anybody else know where you can find them cheaper? Would it be smart to replace them all?

MAXX. nuff said about that.

Now, would it be smart? Sure. If you have the cash to get all 8, go for it.

If you don't, get a spare new coil, and put it in the trunk along with tools to remove the COP cover. You'll have a scanner, so if it misfires later on down the road, pull the code, find out which cylinder is misfiring, and replace the coil.

But the coils aren't well known to go bad. It's the boots that to, and typically the coils go bad because of bad boots. Replace all the boots with new ones, and call it good for now, IMHO.

OK, thanks guys. How can you tell if a boot is bad? mine all looked comparatively normal to the new one.

Max beat summits price, thanks for the tip!

MAXX. nuff said about that.

Now, would it be smart? Sure. If you have the cash to get all 8, go for it.

If you don't, get a spare new coil, and put it in the trunk along with tools to remove the COP cover. You'll have a scanner, so if it misfires later on down the road, pull the code, find out which cylinder is misfiring, and replace the coil.

But the coils aren't well known to go bad. It's the boots that to, and typically the coils go bad because of bad boots. Replace all the boots with new ones, and call it good for now, IMHO.

+1 on Max....sometimes I forgets :p :p
The spare in trunk is a great idea.

So, I was bored and I changed the title to something more fitting.

Anyway, Max should have two new coils to me tomorrow via fedex next day. Price was awesome and the service was even better!

We had talked over email in the evening and then, the next morning, He gave me a call and we got everything sorted out. A+

and the boots usually go bad due to leaking tower seals in the valve cover. the coils go bad too, check for carbon tracking on the sides of the coil, kid had one like that

the boots will feel soft, kinda squishy, also try flexing them a little (READ: have a spare boot before trying this) if it splits........

ive seen many ford boots, the dry ones do as you said, and the ones with just a little oil, get all soft the oil impregnates the rubber, and its about like holding jello. just about long enough to go wtf? and it falls through your fingers

my boots looked and felt the same as the brand new one I put in, so i think they were fine. There was some black carbonish stuff on the tops of a couple coils, though.

TC, as in Twin Cities? I am not sure when I will make it there. I am not in minneapolis very often, just to visit. If I do, I will let you guys know.

OK, I have been reading about headlights all morning, and have a few questions.

This car uses HID bulbs for the low beams and halogens for the high beams, correct?

The kits I see around replace the "proprietary" Mark VIII HID low beams with readily available HID bulbs and compatible ballasts, correct?

I saw mention of converting low beams to halogen. Is there any benefit to this?

Sorry for all the questions, I have never been around HID before and was completely clueless about them. Still am, lol.

Also, who has kits available now?

Yes
Yes
Some say it's brighter than HID. But I think it's the same kind of people who say non air ride on a Mark rides better than air.

Mafioso apparently has the best kit. I don't think anyone's heard from him for a while.

Thats too bad to have someone drop off the radar. Hopefully everything's fine.

I am browsing Ebay now, where is the best place to find his kits?

Members online

No members online now.
Back