1996 Mark VIII brake lights.

jetfreak0

LVC Member
Reaction score
Went to get in car tonight.Pressed key fob door did not unlock.Unlocked with key.Went to start car battery dead.Wonder why battery died.Car has auto headlights.Changed battery.Car started no problem.Still puzzled.Went to rear of car.Noticed brake light on.They will not go out.Anyone ever have this problem.Could I have a bad brake light switch.If so,were is it located.Thanks for any responce.

Regards,
Walter

Could be switch. Do the brake work with power off? I forget. Anyway, could also be the wire harness along the left trunk hinge. When mine went bad I lost brake lights and my gas/trunk switches did not work right. You will probably have to remove harness cover to inspect.

Switch is on brake pedal. Sounds exactly like what my buddies 93 did when the switch went out.

Unplug the switch, if the lights go out there is your problem. I did notice you said brake light as in just one. Maybe a typo? If it is a just one it could be the multi function switch. If it is just the third brake it may have a separate switch. Cant remember.

Thankyou guy's,

It is all three brake lights.I will start buy un plugging switch first and go from there.

Regards,
Walter

If you unplug switch you will be breaking the curciut,so of course the lights will go out. Common sense.I am a mechanic of 20 years I have NEVER heard such sh#tty advise as I have been reading in these pages, are you guys all high school kids?Advise given WRONG can be expensive so don't put your two cents in if you really dont have a clue! I'm just sayin

If you unplug switch you will be breaking the curciut,so of course the lights will go out. Common sense.I am a mechanic of 20 years I have NEVER heard such sh#tty advise as I have been reading in these pages, are you guys all high school kids?Advise given WRONG can be expensive so don't put your two cents in if you really dont have a clue! I'm just sayin

So with 2 posts on this forum, you are already berating our members? Brilliant. Oh, by the way, The brake light circuit is not closed unless you step on the pedal. So if the lights are on with the pedal not pressed, it means a stuck brake light switch. Just like our members have previously stated. So much for your :q:q:q:qty advice!

Wait... what? Do you have to replace the switch?? :p

Only 20? You need a few more years to catch up to me. Associates in Automotive Technology 1987. ;) But I digress as I went back and got a degree in Electrical Engineering..

Now I'd disconnect the switch, grab my Fluke 87 multimeter and see if the contacts in the switch are make/break when the pedal is pushed. If it does, the switch isn't the problem, and I'd move on looking for something else causing the drain...

did you give us a better solution? nope. just said we were wrong. and that unplugging a switch is expensive. be quiet.

Look I have only two posts because I cant stomach 1/3 of the idiot comments on here. Sorry for everyone being offended.I do know for a fact that if you remove the fricken switch the lights WILL go out! If its a short somewhere else unless completely spiced with a positive and negative,removing the switch will cause the lights to go out. Im just sayin parts pulling should NEVER be recommend to people.Use a meter that what there for. Get a book(diagram)thats what there for. Come on man!!I'm NEW but right and your balls didnt like it just relax PLEASE!!~Im done with the negative crap lets move on and forget wont happen again

Well then, if you see something say something if it's glaringly wrong. Lurking in the shadows doesn't help anyone, and only seems to spike your blood pressure.

Second, we all know disconnecting the switch will break the circuit and thus the lights will go out. That said, power to the lights must pass the switch first, and there isn't any other source of power for the lights. Pretty obvious that the contacts have shorted causing his brake lights stay on. Now you want to get into checking cam/crank sensors, injectors, various solenoids I agree a multimeter or scope and a set of manuals would better serve then just swapping parts.

Oh, I'm remiss.... Welcome to the forum.

Thanks for all your responces.The brake light are working properly now.Replacing was a pain.But managed.Thanks all again.

Members online

Back