1996 Chevy Monte Carlo SS

Joeychgo

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Anyone know anything about this car? It's my Mom's and I have inherited it. I confess I know about as uch about Chevy as I do about Lamborgini.

Share a few pics and engine specs. I believe that those with the 3.4 are known for head gaskets and with either engine are know for plastic intake manifold cracking. Other than that watch out for timing belt problems. Just change them at 100 thousand to get it out of the way. Other than brittle GM wiring will give you trouble in about 5 years with the high current systems. Shes a good car. Change the tranny fluid, be glad you knew the previous owner and race your lincolns with it!!

:feedback:

Big Joe

Here are a few pics --- a lil dark since I just took them now since you asked.....

[font=Courier New, Courier, mono]Year/Make/Model: [/font][font=Courier New, Courier, mono]1996 CHEVROLET MONTE CARLO LS - 76,000 Miles[/font]
[font=Courier New, Courier, mono]Body Style: [/font][font=Courier New, Courier, mono]Coupe [/font]
[font=Courier New, Courier, mono]Engine Type: [/font][font=Courier New, Courier, mono]3.1L V6 MFI OHV 12V [/font]

MonteCarlo 005 (Small).jpg

MonteCarlo 008 (Small).jpg

MonteCarlo 010 (Small).jpg

MonteCarlo 009 (Small).jpg

MonteCarlo 007 (Small).jpg

Last edited:
OK, off the top of my head . . . .

change the timing belt or belts at 100k for safe measure
may have a problem with the coil packs, these are known for that
Intake manifold is plastic on some models
Dont think you will have head gasket trouble. Just keep the coolant where she should be

Recalls:

Make : CHEVROLET Model : MONTE CARLO Year : 1998
NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number : 01I014000 Recall Date : SEP 24, 2001
Component: SERVICE BRAKES, HYDRAULIC:FOUNDATION COMPONENTS
Potential Number Of Units Affected : N/A

Summary:
THIS IS NOT A SAFETY RECALL IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE SAFETY ACT. HOWEVER, IT IS DEEMED A SAFETY IMPROVEMENT CAMPAIGN BY THE AGENCY. VEHICLE DESCRIPTION: 1995-1999 CHEVROLET MONTE CARLO Z34 PASSENGER VEHICLES. THE BRAKING PERFORMANCE IN WET WEATHER OR WET ROAD CONDITIONS IS REDUCED MORE THAN A DRIVER WOULD EXPECT.

Consequence:
THE BRAKING COULD FEEL DELAYED MOMENTARILY WHEN LIGHT OR MODERATE FORCE IS APPLIED ON THE BRAKE PEDAL WHILE DRIVING ON WET ROADS OR AFTER GOING THROUGH A CAR WASH.

Remedy:
DEALER WILL MODIFY THE FRONT FENDER LINERS TO REMOVE A PORTION OF THE CLOSEOUT PANELS IN THE FRONT WHEEL WELLS AT NO CHARGE TO THE CONSUMER. THIS SERVICE WILL BE AVAILABLE THROUGH AUGUST 2004.

Notes:
GM HAS DECIDED TO CONDUCT A CUSTOMER SATISFACTION CAMPAIGN TO MODIFY THE VEHICLE IF AN OWNER HAS EXPERIENCED A GREATER THAN EXPECTED REDUCTION OR DELAY IN BRAKING ON WET ROADS. OWNERS CAN CONTACT CHEVROLET AT 1-800-222-1020, CONCERNING THIS PROGRAM.

Second Recall:

Make : CHEVROLET Model : MONTE CARLO Year : 1998
NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number : 03V527000 Recall Date : DEC 11, 2003
Component: STEERING:RACK AND PINION
Potential Number Of Units Affected : 750283

Summary:
CERTAIN PASSENGER VEHICLES HAVE LOWER PINION BEARINGS IN THE POWER RACK AND PINION ASSEMBLY IN WHICH THE RETAINER TABS WERE NOT CRIMPED PROPERLY. THESE RETAINERS COULD FAIL AND PERMIT THE BALL BEARINGS TO ESCAPE.

Consequence:
IF THIS OCCURS, THE PINION SHAFT CAN BE FORCED UPWARD DURING LEFT TURNS AND BACK DOWN AS THE STEERING WHEEL IS MOVED BACK AND TO THE RIGHT. IF THE PINION SHAFT MOVES FURTHER, THE DRIVER WILL NEED TO EXERT MORE EFFORT TO TURN THE STEERING WHEEL, SIMILAR TO A VEHICLE WITHOUT POWER ASSISTED STEERING. IF THE PINION SHAFT MOVES EVEN FURTHER, THE DRIVER WILL REQUIRE MUCH HIGHER EFFORT TO TURN LEFT AND MAY NOT BE ABLE TO TURN THE WHEEL AS MUCH AS INTENDED. WITH THE MAXIMUM PINION SHAFT MOVEMENT, WHICH REQUIRES INTERNAL GEAR COMPONENT DAMAGE, THE DRIVER CAN ENCOUNTER HIGH RESISTANCE TO TURNING LEFT, FOLLOWED BY UNINTENDED POWER ASSIST TO THE RIGHT. IN ANY OF THESE CONDITIONS, A CRASH COULD OCCUR.

Remedy:
DEALERS WILL INSTALL A NEW LOWER PINION BEARING UNLESS INSPECT OF THE EXISTING BEARING INDICATES THAT REPLACEMENT OF THE GEAR ASSEMBLY IS NECESSARY. OWNER NOTIFICATION BEGAN ON FEBRUARY 5, 2004. OWNERS SHOULD CONTACT BUICK AT 1-866-608-8080; CHEVROLET AT 1-800-630-2438; OLDSMOBILE AT 1-800-630-6537; OR PONTIAC AT 1-800-620-7668.

Notes:
GM RECALL NO. 03062. CUSTOMERS CAN ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION’S AUTO SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-DASH-2-DOT (1-888-327-4236).

What is the scoop on the Monte Carlo's - There are a few around here and kids think they are the king of the hill.

How do they compare to the Mark VIII? What about the new Monte's any one have the specs on them?

Oh by the way I think they look nice for a Chevy!

Seems like the new ones have stolen the Mark Hump!

All in all, sounds like a good car. Nothing real major. Enjoy bro!!

Pepsi2185 said:
All in all, sounds like a good car. Nothing real major. Enjoy bro!!
Well - im not a Chevy man. If I keep the car it'll become the wife's car. Cosmetically I have to replace the front and rear ground effect as Mom didnt get along well with parking blocks (as seen in pics)..... and the wing needs repainting. Rest of the car has a few nicks but all in all in good condition. The interior is in pretty good shape, only one tear in the interior, and thats on the door.

Engine looks -ok- but I can see the rear seal will need replacing at some point. Mom didnt drive it hard, but wasnt big on maintenence either. I dont think the tranny fluid or coolant has been changed since it was new.....

But, it seems to drive ok. Blue Book is about 3k -

LOL As I said, Mom was really challenged by parking blocks......... Both the front and rear are busted.

SO now I gotta find replacement front and rear ground effects :(

This is how it should look..................

388599_17_full.jpg

Last edited:
The way that one fog in front broke off, you couldn't even tell it. I looked at that picture a long time and didn't see where it looked like it had broken off.

MonsterMark said:
The way that one fog in front broke off, you couldn't even tell it. I looked at that picture a long time and didn't see where it looked like it had broken off.

well- you can tell during the daytime. :)

Just raced one

96' SS pushes 210 hp stock

One of my associates at work just bought one, just like you said mespock he thinks its the king of the hill. Another associate has a lightly modded '99 300m...I've got the '93 Mark, and the 300 beats me off the line but of the 3 the Monte was the slowest. From a redlight he was left in the dust, we waited for him on the highway and from a 45 mph it wasn't a match, Monte was blown out, and at about 100 I had a car length on the 300 and by the time I hit 120 I could barely see the Monte, the 300 on the other hand was 2 1/2 lengths back, this was a few days ago.

Members online

No members online now.
Back