1995 Mark VIII LSC worth the trip?

shawn_sloma

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Thinking about buying this 95 LSC. Has just over 100k miles for $1500 OBO. It's about a 6 hour trip so wanted to weigh a few opinions on it. The car has some rust and a dent in the rocker. Interior is grey and very clean, engine bay is clean, owner says it starts and drives good and the brakes are good. It does need tires but, there is a local shop that I can put used ones on till I hub swap. No leaks just some rust spots. Guess I wanted to see what others thought of the rust and if it's manageable. Looking at it as a project car for building since my ivory 95 has turned into a complete basket case.
00404_a92wuph1fAZ_600x450.jpg
securedownload (1).jpg
securedownload (2).jpg
securedownload.jpg
2013-09-21_10-56-58_815.jpg

00404_a92wuph1fAZ_600x450.jpg

securedownload (1).jpg

securedownload (2).jpg

securedownload.jpg

securedownload.jpg

2013-09-21_10-56-32_83.jpg

2013-09-21_10-56-58_815.jpg

2013-09-17_16-28-39_373.jpg

I would not. There are much better examples out there in that price range that will be virtually rust free. The rockers, like most of the car, are galvanized. I think they may even wax coat the inside (might be wrong on the waxing). Being galvanized metal, its much less prone to rusting. So if it is, its a bad sign. Then you have the very rusted crossover tube. Typically rust in the engine bay means its not ran much, if at all. To me it looks like it was once a very nice car that was simple let to sit outside for too long.

Good winter car but if you want a weekend warrior I agree with unity, find rust free.

Yeah I wouldn't bother, both rockers and part of the 1/4 would need to be cut out to repair it correctly..then there's the rust on the doors and I'm sure plenty under the car..if ya want an lsc go buy paul vans (lives out in lockport) bumpers that he's had for sale forever. BTW shawn you ever get my PM about the hub drill jig?

I haven't used the jig yet. If you want to borrow it, i can loan it to you. The ivory mark I was going to hub swap is DOA right now.

That car will brake out in hives here soon, offer a $900 and see what he says. It's not worth fixing up but you could still get some decent miles out of it.

I am not familiar with your rust conditions there in the midwest, but my rule of thumb is there's 80% more than you see. However, that said, if he will negotiate to three figures, you could have respectable value and the upside of parting out or using pieces to make a subsequent purchase whole. The interior looks great. The mileage is good, too. Probably be fine at $1000 or less. Let's face it - without a "T" or an "H" on the grille, he isn't getting many calls for a V8 rear drive rusted used car. Be fair and be firm - he'll see it your way.

P.S.- Always avoid being the buyer who dwells on the negative aspects of his car. He knows them all. Point them out, them go on to what is good about it. He knows these, too. Then while allowing that- to others- his price may be reasonable, just that your budget precludes his price. Then, state what you will spend. This is when I've usually left my last $50 of reserve. If you cannot come to terms, tell him you were saving this last $50 to put gas in it. If this small bump won't close the deal, you're too far apart. Good luck.

i personally dont trust rust that should be a deal breaker, unless you were buying it for a parts car then yea but not for 1500

i personally dont trust rust that should be a deal breaker, unless you were buying it for a parts car then yea but not for 1500

If you could get this car for under a grand, figure that if it has LSC headlights, those are roughly a $300+ value. You could jerk the motor and trans $500+ value. Body should bring $300 at scrap.. you'd come out ahead

Then find a straight body car with a blown engine for CHEAP, waalaaa

If you could get this car for under a grand, figure that if it has LSC headlights, those are roughly a $300+ value. You could jerk the motor and trans $500+ value. Body should bring $300 at scrap.. you'd come out ahead

Then find a straight body car with a blown engine for CHEAP, waalaaa

Motor and trans in working order is only worth $500+? Depending on mileage? Just asking cause I don't know. I thought the block could be scrapped for almost that at the recycling center.

Motor and trans in working order is only worth $500+? Depending on mileage? Just asking cause I don't know. I thought the block could be scrapped for almost that at the recycling center.

That's why I put $500+ , + means more.

$300 for the block
$500 for a good engine
$200 for a good trans

The rear sub frame assembly is also worth around $200-$250, not to mention all the spare parts you could keep and still get scrap money out of the rust.

You will have to give up time, garage space and maybe a little blood.

I passed. Going to fix up my daily driver 95 mark and still trying to decide on if i'm going to work on the ivory mark or part it out. Probably going to save up over the winter and find a good shape 97-98 LSC as a build project by the spring time.

How long has this been for sale? This is driving distance from me!

Edit... Little farther then I thought. 271.80 miles
4 hrs 39 mins. per map quest.

Its only been for sale for 2 or 3 days, buffalo grove is only a town over from me..if you want I could go check it out for you tomorrow..im always up for looking at marks for sale, got nothing going on anyway.

There is also this one in Chicago area..
http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/cto/4137895544.html

Hard to tell on the LSC but it looks like a big chunk of the bumper is missing where the body kit got ripped off. Was thinking of looking at it next week and see what condition it is overall. It obviously needs tires, since the rear passenger is completely flat, air suspension redone or converted on top of whatever other issues might be going on with the car. Doesn't look like it's been well taken care of but most the parts it needs I have on my parts car.

Shawn..that black 93 looks to be in much better shape than the 96 lsc..i texted the guy asking if there was any rust or air ride problems and he said no rust or problems..made it sound like he wanted it gone asap so maybe you can get a good deal on it. That lsc ain't worth it just for the bumpers and headlights..find a cheap base and add them later (like I did). Looks like the 96 has been sitting for a long time..won't be able to even test drive it if the bags won't pump up.

I wouldn't give him $1600 for the LSC with all the problems it has right now. I was going to wait and see if it's still for sale after a few weeks and offer him less. I have a converison kit, tires and other parts off a parts car in storage but, wouldn't pay his asking price for it now especially with all the issues and unknown on the car. Might look at it next week and take a few pics of it. Linked the other car for Spree since he was looking at driving this way for a car and the 93 looked very clean. I'm actually thinking of saving up and buying a Gen 2 in good shape after christmas.

Members online

No members online now.
Back