1984 Lincoln Continental Mark VII Turbodiesel: Restoration

Exhaust Manifold Bolts

Sprayed WD-40 on the exhaust manifold lower bolts. These backed out easily with a 12mm socket, a universal and an 18" extension.
oldschool4038.sized.jpg

oldschool4037.sized.jpg

I got 11 nuts/bolts free. The last nut is the top third from the rear to the front. One way to get to this is with a 12mm open/box end wrench. Of course I didn't have one. The other is to drill a hole in the strut tower adjacent the nut and go in with a socket from there. I'm borrowing a combo wrench and will work on this some more tomorrow.
oldschool4036.sized.jpg

haha, I've been working on my mark the past week and all I have is Mountain Dew! LOL!

More Stuff In The Way

Well, I got the last of the exhaust manifold bolts off today. Unfortunately, there's no way around it ... the Turbo has got to be disconnected from the manifold. I send this clip flying into oblivion :)
oldschool4039.sized.jpg

I disconnected the upper oil inlet for the turbo. Where's the gasket?
oldschool4040.sized.jpg

Disconnected the lower oil outlet for the turbo. I still don't see a gasket. Maybe when it's on the bench I'll see them.
oldschool4041.sized.jpg

Disconnected the lines to the oil cooler.
oldschool4042.sized.jpg

Disconnected the lower end of the wastegate. No u-bolts to cut or rods to burn. Just one socket and a ratchet. Why can't all exhaust systems be built like this?
oldschool4043.sized.jpg

Hey JD, Yup im resurrecting this thread due to a show I caught last night.
This guy is doing bolt-on mods to diesels to make them run on vegetable oil !!! Hes also buying up old mercedes diesels, fixing em up, putting on his mod-out the door-ready to go-He also offers the mod for Ford-so we are in !!!

I think the address is http://www.lovecraftbiofuels.com

Since your the only person I know that has a 7 diesel , Your info here is priceless- and if you come across anther clean one- lemme know-

It might be a cool thing to look into- Hey, I love lincoln MARK vii 's AND the smell of french fries-T

Thanks.
There are at least three that I know of that are on the road. I don't count mine because I've never driven the car; just ran the engine a few times.

I'd love to give BioFuel Dude some play but I truly need to bring my diesel back to stock operation.

30 Minutes In The Engine Bay

During a scheduled Car Day (whoo hoo!) I had time to open the hood and look at the engine bay again. 30 minutes later, the upper intake manifold was removed. Though only 12 nuts hold the one pound aluminum intake manifold to the head, there were several cables and hoses and even the fuel injector connections that had to be moved out of the way. One of the black electrical connectors was found broken along with a sensor up under the intake. I really need to find more time to work on this car as it's fun and under a great shade tree :)

Also, thanks to Steve and Nick and Tim and Adam for providing me with just enough distractions to make my morning enjoyable :)

Members online

No members online now.
Back