1984 Lincoln Continental Mark VII Turbodiesel: Restoration

OldSchool1

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Yup.
I'm going to try it myself.
I started a coolant flush and an oil change today and I found a leaky radiator and a bad head gasket. At least I got a picture of the THREE engine oil drain plugs. (hint: the third is on the oil filter housing) As usual, see: http://www.LSCclub.org/cars/oldschool8

oldschool8024.jpg

OldSchool1 said:
Yup.
I started a coolant flush and an oil change today and I found a leaky radiator and a bad head gasket. At least I got a picture of the THREE engine oil drain plugs. (hint: the third is on the oil filter housing) As usual, see: http://www.LSCclub.org/cars/oldschool8

Hi OldSchool

Hope you got more than that ratchet jack holding your car up, I wouldn't want to you to get squashed by your Mark

Regards

Dereck

Dereck said:
OldSchool1 said:
Yup.

Hi OldSchool

Hope you got more than that ratchet jack holding your car up, I wouldn't want to you to get squashed by your Mark

Regards

Dereck
I used two safety stands.
Here's a better picture from the end links job:
endlink200t.jpg

OS1, I hate when they put the oil filter in the oil pan. It a damn pain and they should burn for it! Hahaha Hope everything is going smoth. I could have offered you a radaitor at a great price. But found out the other day. It is bad!

Sifrino3 said:
OS1, I hate when they put the oil filter in the oil pan. It a damn pain and they should burn for it! Hahaha Hope everything is going smoth. I could have offered you a radaitor at a great price. But found out the other day. It is bad!
It's not in the pan.
There are THREE drain plugs in this picture. Again, this is NOT the gas engine guys so think out-of-the-box. Cmon ... even ~my~ bolt on ass was able to see this one without reading the book!

Hi Oldschool

OldSchool1 said:
Thanks. I think the next step will be to remove the air system including the turbo.

Is all this leading to pulling the cylinder head? I believe you said in a post the cooling system was bubbling exhaust gasses. If you weren't 3600 miles away I would come over and do it for you, tell you what you get the air fare and I will, have we got a deal?

Best wishes

Dereck

Dereck said:
Hi Oldschool

Is all this leading to pulling the cylinder head? I believe you said in a post the cooling system was bubbling exhaust gasses. If you weren't 3600 miles away I would come over and do it for you, tell you what you get the air fare and I will, have we got a deal?

Best wishes

Dereck
That might not be a bad idea.

But come to think of it; if I get stuck, there's SCOTT. You weren't here when we all gathered around the car and Scott said something along the lines of, 'I always wanted to work n one of these' and BURST into laughter! It was right after this shot!

Pa160577.jpg

Dereck said:
Hi Oldschool

Best wishes

Dereck
... and to answer your question, yes.

My yellow 1976 has been sold but is in an offsite garage awaiting pick-up. Once that is gone, I plan to plant the diesel in there and spend the winter working on it like I did my 1984 with the vent windows.

oldschool3011.jpg

Hi Oldschool

Don't you think you might be bitting of more than you can chew, I have seen your attempts to repair a wheelbarrow, don't forget :D

Best wishes

Dereck

LOL, (spitting cookies and milk across the desk)!

That wheel barrel was EVIL! pure EVIL! I tell you!

----

Telemedicine is when a patient in one location, has their films and vital signs read and diagnosed by a physician at another location.

Telemechanic is when I get on the net and say OH CRAP!, I think I broke it! and you and Scott bail my butt out.

Hi Oldschool

Quote: Telemechanic is when I get on the net and say OH CRAP!, I think I broke it! and you and Scott bail my butt out.

:D

I still think you ought to spring for that air ticket, I got stacks of diesel experiance, about 30% of cars on UK roads are diesel and I am a master at camshaft drive belts ;)

Have you fitted that keyless entry keypad yet?

Take care

Dereck

Dereck said:
Hi Oldschool

Quote: Telemechanic is when I get on the net and say OH CRAP!, I think I broke it! and you and Scott bail my butt out.

:D

I still think you ought to spring for that air ticket, I got stacks of diesel experiance, about 30% of cars on UK roads are diesel and I am a master at camshaft drive belts ;)

I may have discounted what you said but truly man, that still may be an option as I can afford to put you two up down the road for a week. I know you two like Old Country Buffet for breakfast and Chinese Buffet for dinner. Now, if only I could pay you in Canadian dollars, then we'd havce a deal :)

Dereck said:
Have you fitted that keyless entry keypad yet?

Take care

Dereck
Unfortunately no my friend, as the (restored) 1990 that needs it desparately, has a transmission problem. With that car, I've ALWAYS addressed functional issues BEFORE cosmetic and this isn't any different. I'm glad that you mentioned it though because Lynette reminded me that you were looking for one but for the life of me, I cannot remember the car that needed it? On what car car do you need a keyless pad?

Hi Oldschool

Originally posted by Oldschool

Now, if only I could pay you in Canadian dollars, then we'd havce a deal :)

Sure John just pay it into my account at the Toronto branch of the Wachovia Bank ;)

Yeah! I have got an intermittant fault with the keypad illumination on my 92 TC, it is quite common and caused by water ingress, like you I see to mechanical problems first, please don't concern yourself, I will probably get a new one on my next stateside visit. Just for the record a new keypad is $450 in the UK.

Best wishes

Dereck

Dereck said:
Hi Oldschool

Sure John just pay it into my account at the Toronto branch of the Wachovia Bank ;)

Yeah! I have got an intermittant fault with the keypad illumination on my 92 TC, it is quite common and caused by water ingress, like you I see to mechanical problems first, please don't concern yourself, I will probably get a new one on my next stateside visit. Just for the record a new keypad is $450 in the UK.

Best wishes

Dereck
I just remembered ... your photo garage is empty.

Hi Oldschool

OldSchool1 said:
I just remembered ... your photo garage is empty.

Did I miss something :confused: Why is that relavent? I tried to put some pictures in my photgarage once but it stumped me, so I gave up.

Best wishes

Dereck

Dereck said:
Hi Oldschool

Did I miss something :confused: Why is that relavent? I tried to put some pictures in my photgarage once but it stumped me, so I gave up.

Best wishes

Dereck
Relevant only because I saw your avitar(sp) and recognised the house but didn't recognise the car. I clicked under your name to see if your pictures could tell me about it and there weren't any.

You're not the first (nor last) person in cyberspace that doesn't quite get the picture posting thing. Guys like me and LSC SS post pictures as easily as you change the oil in a Ford. Do a search for HOW POST PICTURE. If that doesn't help, e-mail me and we'll work something out.

Hmmm It's been a while ...

For those that don't know the story, I'm a Mark VII collector that has had this car for over a year and am now replacing the head gasket.
Well, I gotta start somewhere. I went to remove the fan clutch and instantly needed a specialty tool.

T84P-6312-A Water Pump Holding Tool
T84P-6312-B Fan Clutch Wrench

Woo Hoo! I have the tools! Thanks Dereck ... you're the best! I'm finding what appears to be brass screws(?) If so, that 's great for expansion and contraction and heat but is gonna be brutal on snapped bolts. It's cool, I only snapped one today (a radiator hose clip). The radiator is out of the way so it was pretty straight forward. I have standard and metric sockets but a metric open end set would help here. I removed the air intake filter housing and the belts and hoses and vacuum lines and a couple of electrical connections. I finally came to the timing belt cover and the twenty two year old gasket grumbled in my hands. The thermostat looked good but will definitely be replaced. It too had a twenty two year old gasket on it :)

That's all for today. Pictures at:
http://thelincolnmarkviiclub.org/Gallery/oldschool4
starting with #4024.

oldschool4027.sized.jpg

The Next Step

75 degrees and no rain.
I got to soak the exhaist manifold bolts and the waste gate bolts. The latter may need a persuader.
P1010016.sized.jpg

P1010017.sized.jpg

P1010018.sized.jpg

P1010019.sized.jpg

Members online

No members online now.
Back