186 degrees to cool

#Jeff504lsv8

LVC Member
Reaction score
before anybody says rebuild the coolant system lol i changed all the coolant plastic parts t stat new intake gaskets an new cylinder temp. Sensor noticed my fan was not coming on at all until 220 but fan was running slow not enough to cool so i cut the signal wire to make fan run wide open now it runs 186 all the time. My question is 186 to cold for that car?

before anybody says rebuild the coolant system lol i changed all the coolant plastic parts t stat new intake gaskets an new cylinder temp. Sensor noticed my fan was not coming on at all until 220 but fan was running slow not enough to cool so i cut the signal wire to make fan run wide open now it runs 186 all the time. My question is 186 to cold for that car?
It certainly might be when the weather changes come winter

From what I have learned about the Lincoln LS 195 to 220 Fahrenheit is ideal for optimal temperature range

FWIW...." When an engine runs cold so does its lubricating oil, which means more potential for moisture and acid to form in its oil. At higher temps (both oil and engine) harmful deposits are boiled off. This prevents the slow destruction of bearing material and shortened engine life.
When an engine runs too cold, the fuel economy goes down, often way down. A decrease of 6 to 10 miles per gallon isn’t unusual and as fuel consumption increases so does wear. Wear increases because of two factors. First, the cold engine doesn’t heat the oil sufficiently and harmful deposits, moisture, and acid accumulate rapidly, then eat away at the inside of your engine. Thats why flaming exhausts are bad ideas, your liturally pouring gas down your cylinder walls...Yea but its fun anyway... "

Water level is good no leaks no air so i cut thr signal wire for the fan to see it run wide open an it runs 186

215-220 is normal operating temp.

If the fan comes on at slow speed at that temp range... that is normal operation.

With A/C on the rpm if the fan will increase some. If engine temp reaches 230 or higher... the fan will go to max speed.

Sounds like the fan was operating as intended. Reconnect the wire you cut and let the fan do it's job.

Then the fan is not receiving a proper signal due to a failed sensor or controller... or there is still air trapped in the system.

Did you do a proper bleed procedure on the cooling system? Air can easily get trapped in these engines.

In a previous thread you said you were going to go to the dealer and get a new Cylinder Head Temp sensor.

Did you do that... and did you install it?

You really should have continued this question in the other thread... that way we knew the back history.

It makes it a PITA by starting another thread... with no reference to what was already talked about.

And at 186F... the thermostat isn't even fully opened yet. This may prevent the engine/computer from going into "closed loop" which may keep it from monitoring some sensors.

This can cause poor fuel economy... possibly trip O2 sensor codes... dump raw fuel into the exhaust, shortening the life of the cats... gas in the engine oil... etc.

These engines can get air locked pretty easy... especially at the heater core.

There is a specific bleed procedure for these engines.

You say you replaced all the plastic parts and then some. If you reused any o-rings or gaskets on the cooling system... you could still have a leak in the same spot. They are not reusable.

What about all the hoses and the degas bottle? Did you replace them too? What about the DCCV and Aux pump? Are they leaking? What about the radiator. It is known to crack at the backside of the upper hose.

There's alot more than just replacing the plastic parts... to rebuild the cooling system.

And to do it right... it should be done with all OEM parts... because the majority of aftermarket parts don't hold up. Most of the aftermarket o-ring type seals dont even last a year.

About $1000 in Ford parts will last you 6-7 years before another rebuild. That doesn't include the radiator, DCCV, or Aux pump.

While we were talking i hooked that wire back up still fan is not coming on even with ac on no fan unless i unhook the signal wire

An i keeep reading about a coolant temp sensor to but i dont see one on tjis car unless im missing it somewhere idk do you know of any other temp sensor besides the cylinder temp sensor

Well hopefully Joe chimes in here. I am having problems finding how to test the cooling fan.

At this point I'm thinking you might have a bad relay.

I did find in the manual... that the thermostat supposedly is fully open at 217 F ... if that makes you feel any better. That's a fair temp difference from 186.

There is an oil temp sensor on the back of the filter mount... but I don't know if that ties into the fan circuit.

It's probably that wrong part... that the parts stores were trying to sell you.

Sorry I can't help you more. Like I said... hopefully Joe chimes in.

Staff online

Members online

Back