12V socket question.

BlackLS06

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I dont feel like going outside and checking the manual but does the accessory socket stay on after the car is off or does it power down?

there is a manual in the tech articles from 00 to 04

It's cold outside. I was just about to say it stays powered all the time, but it occurred to me that it may work on the timer just as the radio does.

KS

Timer? Damn aftermarket radio doesn't do that for me.. I was going to ask if there was a way to add it..

It a cig lighter so its not powered all the time AFAIK.. I can't add to the accessory function though..

It's cold outside. I was just about to say it stays powered all the time, but it occurred to me that it may work on the timer just as the radio does.

KS

Yeah i read something about a timer just wanted to make sure i could leave the gps in there charged up untill i hard wire it.

My gen 1, the socket is powered at all times. We are talking about the cig lighter. right?

At least in my '06, the 12V outlet on the bottom of the center stack stays live all the time; my Garmin's adapter stays plugged into it all the time (unless it'll be parked for a few days--it'll run the LS's battery down).

My gen 1, the socket is powered at all times. We are talking about the cig lighter. right?
Nope; he's talking about the 12V power point that's next to the cig lighter. I don't know if the 1st Gens have it. IIRC, the 2nd Gen cig lighter does have a time-out (like the interior lights) to protect the battery.

Of course, he could also be talking about the 12V power point inside the center console, but I'm fairly certain that one remains live, as well.

Correct, the one on the back of the center console (accessible from the back) is hot all the time
2nd Gens don't have that one. Ours are at the bottom of the center stack (next to the cig lighter) and inside the center console.

There is a warning for the 2nd gen in the OWNERS MANUAL about using the cigarette lighter port for anything other than lighter, and to use the other two ports for accessory's.

Yea i meant the one inside the center console as thats where i keep the gps.

So why would they advise against using the cigarette lighter as an outlet?

I can see not running a power inverter off it but a cell phone or any low power draw device should be ok.

They believe that the power ports are built more rugged.. also, the pcm is on the same fuse and it probably wouldn't be smart to blow that.. ;)

They believe that the power ports are built more rugged.. also, the pcm is on the same fuse and it probably wouldn't be smart to blow that.. ;)

The PCM does NOT share a fuse w/ the power points or cigar lighter. That applies to all LS's.

Yea i meant the one inside the center console as thats where i keep the gps.
I don't often use that one, but I have occasionally used it to charge my phone, so I'm fairly certain that it also is not subject to the battery-saver timeout.

The power point next to the lighter in the Gen 2 stays on. That's where my radar detector is and it stays on forever if I don't turn it off.

I think all of the accessory ports in the Gen2 are always active.

Members online

Back