120k mile tune up questions.

I ran autolites in my Continental and they were fine. The LS however has only seen Motorcraft platinums OEM FTW with me.

I have 2 ls's one is a 2001 with 216k still running strong and original tranny and motor. And I have a 2004with 121k the GenII I bought it brand new with only 5 miles on it . The last time I did a transmission oil change was at 30k because it was complimentary service now last month I changed the upper hose, lower hose,thermostat housing,thermostat housing cover, thermostat,degas bottle,that hide that comes out the degas bottle, small hose that goes from the bottom of the upper hose to the dccv,small hose that goes on top of the thermostat housing, coolant flush, all spark plugs plus 1 coil, all the tensioners and pullyes, new altenator,serpentine belt, oil change (5w/30 motorcraft synthetic blend) new air filter, cleaned throttle body and dccv. I think I'm now missing the transmission oil change a fuel filter change and the power steering with brake flush. Ohh and I almost forgot I had my rear diff rebuilt last summer so I got a oil changed for that. I'm I missing anything else guys I want my 04 to last me as mug as my 01 by the way I did this service on bith cars but on the 01 I also changed bith cats and o2 sensors. But are Running like a tank. Even though with high gas prices is hard to fill up THE TANK.

Not at all. Actually, I am still running the plastic timing tensioners that everyone hates. Last thing that went wrong was the degas bottle 2 years ago. My key to longevity has probably that I drive at highway speeds 90% of the time so I always am turning a lower rpm. Like most here, I change my oil faithfully at 3000 miles. I almost hate to sell the engine but I am having one built and having zero miles(and more hp) means more at this point. LOL.

3k mile changes are passe and unnecessary especially for highway miles.
I drive combined city highway and change the oil and filter every 10k with Walmart's house brand of full synthetic 5w-30. 142k and no leaks and solid as a rock.

Bosch and Champion both make good plugs...and definitely a lot better than the junk that has become Autolite!
yep. At around 60 or 70k (when my VCG's were being fixed at Ford) I gave them Bosch Platinums to put in. Mechanic said "no guarantees or warrantys on those Bosch's. Just to let you know, Ford engines don't always get along with Bosch Plugs".

WTF. Makes NO sense.

That was 70 or 80k ago. Engines been firing and running fine.

yep. At around 60 or 70k (when my VCG's were being fixed at Ford) I gave them Bosch Platinums to put in. Mechanic said "no guarantees or warrantys on those Bosch's. Just to let you know, Ford engines don't always get along with Bosch Plugs".

WTF. Makes NO sense.

That was 70 or 80k ago. Engines been firing and running fine.

I've experienced Bosch plugs that didn't work worth a crap on a Ford engine. In my case it was a 5.0L HO engine. Those plugs cost me quite a bit of time and money diagnosing the problem. I'll never use Bosch plugs again, and I don't blame your mechanic for his refusal to guarantee the work.

I've experienced Bosch plugs that didn't work worth a crap on a Ford engine. In my case it was a 5.0L HO engine. Those plugs cost me quite a bit of time and money diagnosing the problem. I'll never use Bosch plugs again, and I don't blame your mechanic for his refusal to guarantee the work.

uh, ok. But generally speaking, Ford Dealerships only give warranty on parts they sell/install anyway. I dont think they exclusively pick on bosch. :lol:

uh, ok. But generally speaking, Ford Dealerships only give warranty on parts they sell/install anyway. I dont think they exclusively pick on bosch. :lol:

Probably not, but it is widely known that Ford engines and Bosch plugs often don't get along.

Bosch and Champion both make good plugs...and definitely a lot better than the junk that has become Autolite!

It's always best to go back with OE plugs. But Bosch is for German cars and doesn't last nearly as long as it should in American cars. The champions are OE for Chrysler/dodge/jeep. Don't get me wrong they make a great copper plug but their platinums blow. I would never install a plug in one of my customers cars that wasn't factory.

It's always best to go back with OE plugs. But Bosch is for German cars and doesn't last nearly as long as it should in American cars. The champions are OE for Chrysler/dodge/jeep. Don't get me wrong they make a great copper plug but their platinums blow. I would never install a plug in one of my customers cars that wasn't factory.

My Bosch platinums have been in my V8 LSE since around 60 or 65k miles or so..and several years. Still fires and runs as smoothly as ever.

I dont personally subscrube to "Bosch (or whatever) is for German.."

Considering where Camry's and Accords and many BMW's and Mercedes are made..considering that Jag and LS share so many same componenents..

whats your definition of "foreign" car these days?

Members online

No members online now.
Back