12-Year-Old Stuns Pro-Choice Teacher and School with Pro-Life Presentation

shagdrum

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
12-Year-Old Stuns Pro-Choice Teacher and School with Pro-Life Presentation
By Kathleen Gilbert

TORONTO, February 11, 2009 (LifeSiteNews.com) - 12-year-old "Lia" of Toronto has become a star at her school and on Youtube with her five-minute pro-life speech, crafted for a school competition. Despite discouragement and outright opposition, Lia's presentation was so well done that she reportedly won the contest she was told she would be disqualified from, due to the "controversial" message of her speech.

The speech is available in its entirety on Youtube, where it has been viewed over 100,000 times and sparked a heated discussion. YouTube - 12-year-old speaks out on the issue of abortion

"What if I told you that right now, someone was choosing if you were gonna live or die?" begins the charismatic seventh-grader in a practice recording of the speech posted on Youtube. "What if I told you that this choice wasn't based on what you could or couldn't do, what you'd done in the past, or what you would do in the future? And what if I told you, you could do nothing about it?

"Fellow students and teachers, thousands of children are right now in that very situation. Someone is choosing without even knowing them whether they are going to live or die. That someone is their mother. And that choice is abortion."

Lia, speaking easily and with sunny enthusiasm, fires off answers to several common objections in the brief speech.

"Why do we think that just because a fetus can't talk or do what we do, it isn't a human being yet?" She asks. "Some babies are born after only five months. Is this baby not human?

"We would never say that. Yet abortions are performed on 5-month-old fetuses all the time. Or do we only call them humans if they're wanted?

"Think about the child's rights, that were never given to it. No matter what rights the mother has, it doesn't mean we can deny the rights of the fetus," she said. "We must remember that with our rights and our choices come responsibilities, and we can't take someone else's rights away to avoid our responsibilities."

Lia's mother says that the topic was of her own choosing, and that she was determined not to back down, even after teachers told her it was "too mature" and "too controversial."

"She was also told that if she went ahead with that topic, she would not be allowed to continue on in the speech competition," Lia's mother wrote in the email to the Moral Outcry blog. "Initially, I tried helping her find other topics to speak on, but, in the end, she was adamant. She just felt she wanted to continue with the topic of abortion. So she forfeited her chance to compete in order to speak on something she was passionate about."

The mother told LifeSiteNews.com (LSN) that the girl's homeroom teacher was supportive of Lia's speech even though she was pro-choice. "After helping Lia do the speech she said, 'It really got me thinking,'" the mom noted.

At the schoolwide competition, the mom said one pro-choice teacher on the judge's panel "didn't even want to hear" the speech, and stepped down from the panel before Lia began. After the speech, which Lia's family said was well-received by both students and teachers, the judges initially told Lia she had indeed been disqualified. But controversy among the judges eventually led to a reversal, and Lia's family learned the next day that the panel agreed the girl deserved to win the competition.

"There was a big stink about it, and we volunteered to step down ... but her teacher said 'No, she won fair and square, so she'll keep going on," said her mom. Lia is expected to present her speech at a regional competition tomorrow night, representing her school.

When asked what inspired Lia to pursue the topic so adamantly, her mother said it was "a little mystery."

While the family espouses pro-life Christian values, "it's not like we're out every weekend picketing," she said. "It was just something really deep in her heart, and she just felt really passionate about it." She added: "I kind of snicker when I see people on the Youtube video [comment box] saying 'Oh, her mother forced her to do this' - I'm like, 'No, I'm on the other end, trying to make her pick another topic!'

"But she was just really passionate about it, and she has her research on it," said the mother. "I really believe it's just something that God put in her heart."

And the ever classy liberals responses caused this to happen:
We apologize for turning off the commenting functionality. This was not to stop genuine discussion or debate on the issue but was, rather, a response to the cowardly who used it as an opportunity to throw insults and threats at a young girl that they hated without reason. Thank-you to everyone who, whether in agreement or not, has responded in a respectful manner.​

I don't really know if she is old enough to form real opinions on things like that.... she can read something her parents wrote out for her....

Have you guys ever paid for an abortion after 5 months, that :q:q:q:q is expensive. I came out of 750 fro one after 5 months compared to 425 for the two caught early.

....wtf dude go for a long walk sorry let me rephrase that. Everyone has their own opinions in such a matter like this so please keep this to yourself. if this was a joke than ur sick! Education is bliss !

Being under 26 y/o worthless if you're thinking as him..

Have you guys ever paid for an abortion after 5 months, that :q:q:q:q is expensive. I came out of 750 fro one after 5 months compared to 425 for the two caught early.

I don't really know if she is old enough to form real opinions on things like that.... she can read something her parents wrote out for her....
Actually your post is made up of two mutually exclusive statements.

Your second sentence doesn't prove the first. She may have had help composing her speech, although at age 12 it's certainly possible she wrote it herself, but that doesn't mean she isn't pro-life.

Nice try.

chatty cathy (aka KK) is barely old enough himself to form a real opinion also, I offer as proof all the inane posts on these forums.
Hope your parents aren't subjected to having to write your mindless posts like this one, C.C.:D

....wtf dude go for a long walk sorry let me rephrase that. Everyone has their own opinions in such a matter like this so please keep this to yourself. if this was a joke than ur sick! Education is bliss !

Being under 26 y/o worthless if you're thinking as him..

I am a true believer of correcting problems as soon as they arise, I know I am not ready for children, they are expensive as hell, why would i commit to 18 years of $750 a month, when I know i am not ready. Why create another child that may end up a menace to society, when i am ready to have kids then i will, until then i will continue to correct my mistakes as soon as they arise. I got a divorce because my Ex wanted kids, and wanted to settle down and all this old people stuff.

I got a divorce because my Ex wanted kids, and wanted to settle down and all this old people stuff.

Hummm, it may be just me but marriage and kids is ~probably~ something you might have wanted to discuss ~BEFORE~ getting married.

Then again, I'm one of those old people so I probably just don't understand.:rolleyes:

I got married for the wrong reason, i got married so i can move out of military housing, and get an allowance for housing.

She might change her mind when she is 19 and pregnant and mommy can't tell her what to do.

She might change her mind when she is 19 and pregnant and mommy can't tell her what to do.

This thread is amazing.
Where is the support for this girl? Agree with her or not, she's eloquent and persuasive. And her voice met with political opposition, but despite the intimidation, she persevered and excelled.

To dismiss her opinion seems awful hypocritical, because politicians and abortion advocates argue that at the age of 12, 13, or 14, that she should be responsible alone for decisions regarding an abortion and that her parents shouldn't even be notified.

...and LincolnX2, you are a vile creature.

This thread is amazing.
Where is the support for this girl? Agree with her or not, she's eloquent and persuasive. And her voice met with political opposition, but despite the intimidation, she persevered and excelled.

To dismiss her opinion seems awful hypocritical, because politicians and abortion advocates argue that at the age of 12, 13, or 14, that she should be responsible alone for decisions regarding an abortion and that her parents shouldn't even be notified.

...and LincolnX2, you are a vile creature.

She is 12.
She is talking what she was taught...I think the Kid hit the nail on the head.
I love how you group all pro choice people as abortion advocates who argue that 12 year olds should be responsible for decisions regarding abortion.
She is a child....and talks as a child.

As far as LincolnX2.....who are you to judge ?

I am a true believer of correcting problems as soon as they arise, I know I am not ready for children, they are expensive as hell, why would i commit to 18 years of $750 a month, when I know i am not ready. Why create another child that may end up a menace to society, when i am ready to have kids then i will, until then i will continue to correct my mistakes as soon as they arise. I got a divorce because my Ex wanted kids, and wanted to settle down and all this old people stuff.
You call paying for a child to be murdered 'correcting a problem.'

Wow. You really are a calloused son of a bitch.

Of course, PREVENTING the 'problem', i.e. KEEPING YOUR PECKER IN YOUR STUPID ASS POCKET, evidently never occurred to you.

So...

What we've learned about you is this:

You screw everything that moves without conscience, and slaughter any child that results - out of sheer convenience - because you don't want to take responsibility for your actions.

Don't know how you sleep at night, murderer. One day you'll answer to God for the murders you paid for.

She is 12.
She is talking what she was taught...I think the Kid hit the nail on the head.
I love how you group all pro choice people as abortion advocates who argue that 12 year olds should be responsible for decisions regarding abortion.

She communicates her position with a lot more honesty and integrity then you do on this forum.

As far as LincolnX2.....who are you to judge ?

He shouldn't judge....but that isn't a judgement on your part.

Hypocrite. :rolleyes:

I am a true believer of correcting problems as soon as they arise, I know I am not ready for children, they are expensive as hell, why would i commit to 18 years of $750 a month, when I know i am not ready.

Apparently being responsible for your actions and maybe...finding a better home for your kid (adoption) would be an option?

I think what KK is referring to is that she could be reading something her parents wrote out for her, which could make Lia a pawn in this situation.

Lia probably does very much believe what she is saying, she seems quite sincere and is very compelling. But, this is quite a statement for a 12-year-old. Her Mom did say that the family was anti abortion, and they no doubt have instilled that in their children. Which is fine, that is what families are for. They support and encourage values that are important to them.

However, I do have to wonder about all the exposure that this is getting. Many parents wouldn't want this type of exposure for their 12-year-old on this type of subject. The parents in this case are obviously OK with the posting of their child on youtube to get additional exposure.

It would be very sad however if the parents were using this lovely girl as a pawn to further an agenda of their own. Similar to the teenager here in Denver who was expelled from school at the end of last year for a t-shirt he was wearing (there was a thread on this here somewhere). The kid said it was his idea, but eventually it came out that it was his Dad's idea, and indeed his Dad had made the t-shirt and had his son wear so the Dad's little 'rant' would get news coverage.

Parent's shouldn't exploit their children. Children are so susceptible because children want to please their parents and would go along with questionable actions if they felt that it would make their parents happy.

Once again, I am sure the daughter wanted to do this, and it does seem that Lia does very much does believe in this cause - but, all this exposure for a 12-year-old... this is something as a parent I wouldn't be comfortable with.

I think what KK is referring to is that she could be reading something her parents wrote out for her, which could make Lia a pawn in this situation.

Lia probably does very much believe what she is saying, she seems quite sincere and is very compelling. But, this is quite a statement for a 12-year-old. Her Mom did say that the family was anti abortion, and they no doubt have instilled that in their children. Which is fine, that is what families are for. They support and encourage values that are important to them.

However, I do have to wonder about all the exposure that this is getting. Many parents wouldn't want this type of exposure for their 12-year-old on this type of subject. The parents in this case are obviously OK with the posting of their child on youtube to get additional exposure.

It would be very sad however if the parents were using this lovely girl as a pawn to further an agenda of their own. Similar to the teenager here in Denver who was expelled from school at the end of last year for a t-shirt he was wearing (there was a thread on this here somewhere). The kid said it was his idea, but eventually it came out that it was his Dad's idea, and indeed his Dad had made the t-shirt and had his son wear so the Dad's little 'rant' would get news coverage.

Parent's shouldn't exploit their children. Children are so susceptible because children want to please their parents and would go along with questionable actions if they felt that it would make their parents happy.

Once again, I am sure the daughter wanted to do this, and it does seem that Lia does very much does believe in this cause - but, all this exposure for a 12-year-old... this is something as a parent I wouldn't be comfortable with.
Once again, you resort to ad hominem, evidencing a blatant lack of ability to tackle her argument on the merits.

And your 'concern' comes across as phony.

Par for the course.

Once again, you resort to ad hominem, evidencing a blatant lack of ability to tackle her argument on the merits.

And your 'concern' comes across as phony.

Par for the course.
I am not going to argue abortion rights with a video of a 12-year-old Foss, especially when i truly do think that as a parent I wouldn't want my child posted on youtube in this way.

I really mean it Foss - would you be comfortable with your wife's pre-teen children (I don't know their ages - but supposing here) having something like this posted on youtube? There are lots of weirdos in the world watching this... i mean real creeps - they already had to close down the comments because of creeps, why would you continue to have this posted?

I am not going to argue abortion rights with a video of a 12-year-old Foss, especially when i truly do think that as a parent I wouldn't want my child posted on youtube in this way.

I really mean it Foss - would you be comfortable with your wife's pre-teen children (I don't know their ages - but supposing here) having something like this posted on youtube? There are lots of weirdos in the world watching this... i mean real creeps - they already had to close down the comments because of creeps, why would you continue to have this posted?
You can't argue with her, because she's right.

And I'm not going to engage you in a red herring argument, either.

You FAIL.

I won't argue with a video of a 12-year-old girl Foss - that is just ludicrous... We have a perfectly good abortion thread somewhere, if you want, steal her points post them and I will argue with you about them...

Would you expose your child to this, would you Foss? I mean she can't be that hard to find in Toronto - you have her unusual first name, her age, and the fact that she will be in some sort of speech competition shortly - that is a huge amount of information about a very pretty girl...

I won't argue with a video of a 12-year-old girl Foss - that is just ludicrous... We have a perfectly good abortion thread somewhere, if you want, steal her points post them and I will argue with you about them...
Dodge.
Would you expose your child to this, would you Foss? I mean she can't be that hard to find in Toronto - you have her unusual first name, her age, and the fact that she will be in some sort of speech competition shortly - that is a huge amount of information about a very pretty girl...
You've mischaracterized what she's doing and what her parents have done. They haven't 'exposed' her. That's a pejorative. They've given her an opportunity to get published. Any budding writer should be given breaks when necessary. If she was a singer trying to get her music noticed, you wouldn't have any gripes.

Why would you think she would be in danger? After all, the left, which disagrees with her, is tolerant right? :rolleyes:

You only think it's a bad thing because she disagrees with your point of view, and very effectively.

She is 12.She is talking what she was taught...I think the Kid hit the nail on the head.
She was taught morals? Values? Ethics? Does that make them any less valid?

But you're missing the point, if this girl had wanted to speak about "how humans are causing global warming", she wouldn't have run into such an aggressive effort to dissuade and intimidate her from doing so. But, despite this, despite the ramifications, she did so anyway - and excelled.

One of these adult judges simply refused to listen! I think that's outrageous. I think our lack of ability to discuss issues like this, or race, are destructive.

If you want to have a debate over the content of her speech or if you think you're capable of challenging a 12 year old's argument, we can have that discussion as well.

I didn't group anybody together. I specifically said, "abortion advocates" not "people who support laws keeping abortion legal."

So you're going to dismiss it because of the messenger?
Since you're a grown up, can you respond to the content of her speech, and respond to it in away that addresses her challenges and refutes her points? You should be able to, so why not use her speech to start a discussion?

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

No members online now.
Back