1-2 Shift Issue??? @38k???

danielmillermark8

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
OK guys, I've noticed something In the transition from 1st to 2nd gear. This only happens when the car has been sitting for awhile (12-24 hrs.) When I get off work I get in the car and its still cold on the gauge, I take off gently cause I'm still getting used to the car and listening for things. When it goes from 1st to 2nd it shifts smooth but no more then half a second after it shifts I hear this slight grind and feel it in the pedal!!! This only happens 1 time when I start off. After that it runs great and shifts VERY smooth the whole trip. 3th-4th has NEVER done this. I hope to god this sounds like a broken 1-2 accumulator spring?? IK they go out on these cars. I've been thinking about a shift kit that would come with new springs. Any suggestions on a cheap reliable kit? How much is Baumann? Transgo? I heard dirty dog was unreliable which sucks because that was a good price from Allen $175 with the valve body included. fwiw It has fresh fluid it the tranny. :feedback

A guy sells J-mod kits on tccoa.com for sale section if you don't want to track down everything you need. $110 I think. I've heard the transgo are not good for 4r70w's.

First things first, have you checked the fluid level? You sure it was the trans? Maybe you just turned on the ac and the compressor engaged?

A guy sells J-mod kits on tccoa.com for sale section if you don't want to track down everything you need. $110 I think. I've heard the transgo are not good for 4r70w's.

First things first, have you checked the fluid level? You sure it was the trans? Maybe you just turned on the ac and the compressor engaged?

I did a TransGo in my 96 7 years ago and it still shifts flawlessly, never an issue. Just my experience...

$110 isn't bad actually, I think I priced everything out at like $80 or something around that.

Who is it that sells them?

OK guys, I've noticed something In the transition from 1st to 2nd gear. This only happens when the car has been sitting for awhile (12-24 hrs.) When I get off work I get in the car and its still cold on the gauge, I take off gently cause I'm still getting used to the car and listening for things. When it goes from 1st to 2nd it shifts smooth but no more then half a second after it shifts I hear this slight grind and feel it in the pedal!!! This only happens 1 time when I start off. After that it runs great and shifts VERY smooth the whole trip. 3th-4th has NEVER done this...

Is the sound fairly quiet and brief, sounding almost like velcro getting pulled apart (for lack of a better description)? Once the noise initially occurs, it will not happen again unless the vehicle has sat for several hours and only under very light acceleration correct?

If so, my 97 does this as well. It occured when the trans was completely stock and still occurs with my fully built trans. The trans operates flawlessly with no problems (knock on wood) and if the radio is on even slightly I can't hear it so I pay it no mind. I also don't put the car in gear until the temp gauge starts to register (allowing forged internals to warm), so I don't think your car "still showing cold on the gauge" has an effect on it.

As to the actual noise, I have no clue what it is, but your not alone... :shifty:

where did you hear bad things about Alan at Dirty Dog? seems unlikely.
once upon a time, TransGos 4R70W shift kit failure rate was 1 in 10. a number described by jerry (the j in jmod) as out of control.
their AOD stuff is fine though.
Baumann stuff is good.

but all you really need to do is JMOD the trans and get a tune.

the noise you are hearing may be the mechanical diode in the later transmissions. i hear they click a little, certainly make more noise the the old one way clutches.
it engages on the 1-2 shift.

YES! LSCMUSCLE, VELCROW! & Light acceleration only!!!! Great description!!! Its scaring the hell outta me & I do not like it whatsoever. Thank you for that JMOD thread link too! I hope it will eliminate that horrible sound. I cringe everytime I hear it. As for the Dirty dog kit I was chatting with Hot*Mk8 about it and apparently Lonnie at Blue Oval Chips has been talking her out of it, Saying the kit is unreliable. Thanks again guys VERY helpful.

I've always had great service from Alan at dirty dog, no issues with his product at all.

YES! LSCMUSCLE, VELCROW! & Light acceleration only!!!! Great description!!! Its scaring the hell outta me & I do not like it whatsoever. Thank you for that JMOD thread link too! I hope it will eliminate that horrible sound. I cringe everytime I hear it. As for the Dirty dog kit I was chatting with Hot*Mk8 about it and apparently Lonnie at Blue Oval Chips has been talking her out of it, Saying the kit is unreliable. Thanks again guys VERY helpful.

I don't think the j-mod or a shift kit will make the noise go away. They will however make your car a little more fun to drive.

Again, my car did it when it was completely stock and continued to do it after my first built trans (which was a disaster). In fact it was such a bad build that I had to have a different place redo it. The 2nd modded trans was done correct and literally every single internal piece was replaced due to overheating issues from the first build. Theres a thread on LOD covering the new (correct) build. However, the noise is still there.

Maybe Chris is onto something with the diode theory. I'm not sure if all the 2nd gens do it and its so quiet/brief that no one notices or if its only selective vehicles. Either way, since the noise is so quiet/brief and the trans functions normally, I just turn the radio on to block it out. You could always just accel a little harder since the noise only occurs under very light acceleration and only one time after the vehicle has sat for several hours. I definitely wouldn't let it eat at you. I use to be the same way, but after 3 variants of the trans all resulting with the same noise given the right conditions, I took it as normal.

Hey Daniel your PM is full. But anyways, I have never heard it on mine but maybe I have never paid attention to it. I will let you know the next time I drive it.

Hey Daniel your PM is full. But anyways, I have never heard it on mine but maybe I have never paid attention to it. I will let you know the next time I drive it.

Inbox now empty. Thank you . LSCmuscle explained it the best. I swear I feel it in the pedel slightly. I may have it looked at.

Members online

No members online now.
Back