06 LS Overheating.

LVC South East Chapter

1. JPShields

JPShields New LVC Member

I have a 2006 Lincoln LS, I've owned it for about 4 years now and have loved it and treated like my child. That being said I have put some time and money into keeping it running...still love it though..

... Recently had a problem with overheating (on the interstate w/ no a/c on). Pulled a code P1299 (Indicates an engine overheat condition was detected by the cylinder head temperature (CHT) sensor. An FMEM strategy called Fail-safe Cooling was activated to cool the engine.) Replaced the heater control valve 4-5 months ago. Cooling fan only seems to kick on when a/c is running.. checked relays and all seem to be fine. Could it be the cylinder head temp sensor itself? Any other ideas?

Any help would be greatly appreciated..Thanks

2. JPShields

JPShields New LVC Member

Also....
    No fluid loss... I haven't yet tried burping the system... I have a difficult time believing that's the problem only because I haven't fiddled with the system to cause air to be in the lines... The overheating has only happened twice.. And temp gauge seems to stay within normal ranges now...but I haven't driven it long distances or at high speeds since.
    Thanks

3. Robot

Robot Dedicated LVC Member

JP, when you have the a/c on, does the temp go down? I had this problem with another car and it turned out to be the temp sensor for the fan itself. Sorry if I am late on this. BTW, be on the lookout for running weight and distribution. I am gonna try and post pics of the scale ticket.