06 LS Brake / Throttle Question

pjm

LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Today my wife was parking the LS at the grocery store, and when my wife says she applied the brake, the car accelerated over the median in front of the parking stall. Luckily it looks like the only thing damaged is the oil pan which is creased and is leaking oil. I got the car towed home and will have a good look at it underneath tomorrow.

Anyways, my question is, is there any possible way that by applying the brake, the throttle could come on? I just can't see that happening. Could it be some bizarre malfunction with the cruise control or traction system? Personally I think that her foot touched the throttle at the same time she applied the brake, but she says she doesn’t think so. What do you guys think?

I've read this on the forum before happening to someone's mother or grandmother. It turned out that they were touching the right edge of the brake pedal, and in doing so their foot wasn't far enough left and it pushed the throttle in at the same time.

Even if you accidentally mash the accelerator while you're pressing the brake pedal, the brakes can hold the car. That's pretty much true of every modern car.

no way the brake interferes with the throttle unless she stepped on both, not possible.

I neglected to mention that I know from experience that the brakes will hold if you get on the brake and gas at the same time. :rolleyes:

When mines cold, the first time I use the brakes within about 50 yds of my overnight parking spot, at that moment only, the sensation is that the car acts like either the throttle surges, or the brakes let off and I'm pretty sure it's not the brakes. I don't step on the throttle at the same time, ever. Any other time I drive with the car cold, it's further to the first point I need to use the brakes (about 1/4 mi) and it doesn't do it then, ever.

Not sure where I'm really going here, but I guess it means I'm not too surprised to read about pjm's problem.....

Last edited:
the LS uses an unually large brake pedal - it is classed as 'truck size' for pedal covers.

so it is very common that people use the right edge of the pedal - leaving themselves open to also hit the gas. When this happens - you usually do not have enough brake pressure yet to hold it against the amount of gas to are applying - since you where planning on a nice easy stop.

I actually moved mine even closer together - to help me trail brake a little better - so whenever someone else is in my car - it happens.

I've accidentally gotten both brake and gas pedal before without disastrous results, but just for the heck of it, while rolling up to a stop sign, I tried it, and, I'll be danged if Quik wasn't right--the car jumped forward. I tried it again at the next stop sign, and the same thing happened.

Sounds like your wife got the brake and gas at the same time...

Members online

No members online now.
Back