'04 v8 p0108

LSter

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
So I know the car doesn't have a MAP sensor. I replaced the MAF sensor to no avail. I checked for vacuum leaks and there were none that I could find. Can the DPFE be replaced without replacing the entire EGR valve? If so, does anyone have a part number for it?

If my research is correct there is no dpfe sensor on the '04 V8. Looks like it is integrated into the EGR valve. rockauto has the motorcraft egr for your car for 97.xx , this code (1458142111950124) will get you 5% off that price as well

MAP and DPFE are both integral parts of the EGR valve assembly/module. These are fairly expensive, but I've seen used ones on ebay for around $50. Do make sure that all the vacuum lines to the assembly are good first.

So if I replace the EGR, will I also be replacing the MAP and the DPFE since they are integrated into the EGR assembly?

Check your hard vacuum lines. They get brittle and crack. You'll need some vacuum line and connectors to replace the broken hard lines. I've had to do it on one of my '06's already. Just leaning on them or moving them out of the way can (and will) break them.

I've traced all of the vacuum lines (at least the ones that aren't buried) and I haven't found signs of a leak. It definitely isn't running like there's a leak, and I'm not hearing an obvious hissing sound. I think my next move is to get a new EGR valve.

I haven't really looked at it on the ls, but I know on the Focus you can bypass the egr temporarily to determine a fault with the DPFE or egr.

I've traced all of the vacuum lines (at least the ones that aren't buried) and I haven't found signs of a leak. It definitely isn't running like there's a leak, and I'm not hearing an obvious hissing sound. I think my next move is to get a new EGR valve.

I didn't either when mine were cracked/broken under the wiring loom. All I had was (IIRC) an EGR efficiency code.

I didn't either when mine were cracked/broken under the wiring loom. All I had was (IIRC) an EGR efficiency code.

Mine's not an EGR efficiency code, it's the MAP/BARO code. Hoping that changing the EGR will fix the issue.

Mine's not an EGR efficiency code, it's the MAP/BARO code. Hoping that changing the EGR will fix the issue.

I just checked. My code was P0106. I just compared the codes on Alldata and the testing is close enough that I would check all the vacuum lines to and from the EGR valve first. Like I said, mine were broken/cracked inside the plastic loom.

Verify that the electrical connector and wiring is good too.

Connections and wiring check out. I'm pretty sure it's the DPFE that has failed in the EGR.

Hey, someone else with the same problem I have and only within a week or so! :D

I just got my new EGR assembly in the mail and will be swapping tomorrow. Also got a p0108, hope it goes far, far away after the swap.

Well, swapped the EGR and I still have the code. Now I also have code P0193 - fuel rail pressure sensor circuit a voltage high. I've replaced everything that has to do with the baro sensor. Why do I have this problem still?

Well, swapped the EGR and I still have the code. Now I also have code P0193 - fuel rail pressure sensor circuit a voltage high. I've replaced everything that has to do with the baro sensor. Why do I have this problem still?

I still say it's a vacuum leak. Did you check ALL the hard lines? They get brittle over time and crack. Like I said..... Mine was cracked inside the plastic loom and I only found it when the hard line fell off in my hand.

Hey LSter,

How did you get the minfold tube disconnected from the EGR? Did you have to take off the whole intake for this?

Hey LSter,

How did you get the minfold tube disconnected from the EGR? Did you have to take off the whole intake for this?

You mean the big tube that connects to the bottom of the EGR? I used an rather large adjustable wrench. Had to use a mallet to bust it loose since it was the original EGR. Once I got it loose, it was tedious, but it just unscrewed.

Oh OK. This is where I'm stuck right now. It's tough to get a wrench down around that nut... Also, which way does it loosen? :p Do I pull up on the wrench or push down?

Pull up .
Harbor freight has service wrench set that fit well

You probably damaged fuel pressure sensor. It's in the way if you used a wide wrench.

To loosen it, turn the nut toward the intake. You may need some penetrating oil to get things started. I would use an adjustable wrench (a medium to large sized one). It probably won't want to turn, so use a rubber mallet and strike the handle in the direction you need to go in in order to start it. Once it starts, it will be a tedious process, but it will eventually come loose. In order to get the wrench where you need it, you have to take off the crankcase ventilation hose (which wound up breaking on me, so I had to replace it).

Pull up .
Harbor freight has service wrench set that fit well

You probably damaged fuel pressure sensor. It's in the way if you used a wide wrench.

I wanted to ask you, are both of these codes related or are they two totally unrelated problems? I figured that since I replaced both the EGR and the MAF, the P0108 would clear since the BAP issue would have been replaced.

I wanted to ask you, are both of these codes related or are they two totally unrelated problems? I figured that since I replaced both the EGR and the MAF, the P0108 would clear since the BAP issue would have been replaced.

P0193 is only related in that the fuel pressure sensor connects to same bundle of vacuum lines as the EGR. I had to remove the fuel pressure sensor to get to the EGR nut with an adjustable wrench, as it seemed like I would probably crack it with the wrench handle if I didn't remove it. After that, I got a set of narrow service wrenches so that I didn't have to remove the pressure sensor the next time.

Then why am I still getting the BAP code after replacing the EGR? All of the lines going into the EGR are intact and the car isn't suffering from an obvious vacuum leak.

Well, got the old one off. In putting the new one on, one of the bolts fell off and fell right down behind the center pulley right there. Si it's sitting between the pulley and the engine. What now?

Members online

No members online now.
Back