'04 Town Car Smooth Ride

mscs

LVC Member
Reaction score
Had to put a new alternator in my 2004 Town Car Ultimate. When I got it back from the Lincoln dealer the ride changed. I've had the greatest 3 days in my TC. The ride has been fantastic. Very cushy and "buoyant". It just glided over cracks and bumps, it felt like there was air between me and the road. After 3 days it's back to how it used to be, STIFF. I can now feel the bumps & cracks in the road and it's a bit jarring to say the least. Totally different feel. Any idea on why I got those "magical" 3 days and how I can get that "feel" back?

I picked up the car the next day. On that 3rd day my wife & I drove about 30 miles and was driving back with a trunk full of groceries and after about 20 minutes of driving the car felt like it was no longer riding on air. You could really feel the cracks and bumps in the road. We drove the same freeway the day before and both me & my wife noticed the ride was very different. It was no longer "riding on top of the cracks and bumps, floaty feeling" it was "battling against the cracks and bumps" and it was not that "buoyant" type feel.

That "good" air float feeling came back a couple of days ago for about half the day and then it went back to the stiffer ride.

Seems really weird as the TC doesn't have any electronic gadgetry that stiffs the shocks or airbags. Is it the front or the back of the car that you feel changes?

I can feel the difference in the front but more so in the back.

It really felt like the car was pumped up with air and that felt great, super cushy like you just knew that whatever crack or bump the car was going to go over you wouldn't really feel it, you would just glide right over it. Now it feels flat even though the compressor comes on when I start the car and the back goes down when I get out of the car and lock it.

Members online

No members online now.
Back