04 LSE Android Auto Head Unit Options?

theg1ft

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Are there any recommended options for an android auto head unit for a 2004 LS Ultimate with the premium audio package/nav/touchscreen? Need new speakers and don't want to go through the nonsense of trying to find all the OEM crap.

I went with Kenwood Excelon DDX9905S Multimedia Receiver combined with a​

Maestro ADS-MSW Universal Analog Steering Wheel Interface. Love the combo in my 2006 LS Elite formerly with the OEM Nav/Touchscreen​

Switching out the THX nav does complicate things quite a bit.

I went with Kenwood Excelon DDX9905S Multimedia Receiver combined with a​

Maestro ADS-MSW Universal Analog Steering Wheel Interface. Love the combo in my 2006 LS Elite formerly with the OEM Nav/Touchscreen​

Holy yikes that is an expensive head unit! Would that Maestro ADS-MSW work with another, cheaper, android auto head unit?

Switching out the THX nav does complicate things quite a bit.

Thanks Joegr!

So you wanted to replace factory head unit/nav and leave the factory THX speakers, is that correct?

My rear deck speakers are bad and I don't think they sounded all that great in the first place when they still worked.

Would would these issues you encountered still be present if I wanted to rip out the existing speakers and replace with aftermarket speakers that were compatible with my head unit/amp combo? Wouldn't this avoid the whole wiring harness modification issue?

Sure there are Maestro models that work with the majority of head units. By the way I paid $409 on ebay for my Kenwood in 2019 which I think at the time was approximately 50% of MSRP. You just need to look for units that are not the latest issue since they drop in price significantly a year or so after release. Problem now is everything is so limited in stock due to covid and micro-chip shortages. Ive found Crutchfield to be a good place to find units that will fit our car (you can sort by LS) and its generally pretty accurate which for the LS is no easy feat. Crutchfield is not always the cheapest but their service and tech advice is typically very good.

I used the "Metra 70-5521 Radio Wiring Harness for Ford 03-Up Amp" and "Metra 95-500S double DIN Installation Kit for 2000-2006 Lincoln LS" to mount up the head unit. Then 4 Alpine R-S68 6x8 door speakers connected with "Metra 72-5600 Speaker Wire Adapters" powered by the factory amp. For subs, since I wanted to use the factory locations, I used a Rockford Fosgate PBR300X2 Punch 300 Watt 2 Channel Amp mounted in the rear deck replacing the OEM amp (since it has a small footprint it fits where the stock amp was) with Gain controlled by a Rockford PEQ Punch Equalization remote for 2007 up amps. Used two CDT Audio HD-690CF.2 6x9 subs which are a drop in direct fit.

Thanks Joegr!

So you wanted to replace factory head unit/nav and leave the factory THX speakers, is that correct?

My rear deck speakers are bad and I don't think they sounded all that great in the first place when they still worked.

Would would these issues you encountered still be present if I wanted to rip out the existing speakers and replace with aftermarket speakers that were compatible with my head unit/amp combo? Wouldn't this avoid the whole wiring harness modification issue?
The speakers in the rear deck are the subs only. I'm sure that the foam on those has rotted off, and they need to be replaced. If you bypass the 4-channel amp, you will have to run wires from each door back to the head-unit under the dash. To me, that is a lot more effort than re-using the amps.

Ive found Crutchfield to be a good place to find units that will fit our car (you can sort by LS) and its generally pretty accurate which for the LS is no easy feat. Crutchfield is not always the cheapest but their service and tech advice is typically very good.
I 2nd Crutchfield. Top notch company.

Members online

No members online now.
Back