03 V8 Another Problem Hard Shifting And Clanging Sound?

JDawg965

LVC Member
Reaction score
Ok, I Recently Posted About My VCT Leaking Oil, Well I Fixed That Problem Over The Weekend And Drove The Car A Lot To Make Sure It Was Running Right And Not Overheating And Sending Weird Messages To My Message Center. Well I Drove It On A Trip Yesterday 2 Hours One Way, And The Car Rode Nice No Overheating Or Anything! I Was So Happy That I Fixed It Well On The Way Home From Our Trip I Heard A Slight Clanging Type Of Noise Sounds Like Metal Tapping Together, But Very Slightly Can Only Be Heard With The Radio Off? Then Today My Wife Was Driving The Car Everything Was Good Except She Said When She Would Try And Go Up A Hill The Car Was Very Slugish And The Noise Was A little Bit Louder With Hard Shifting But Not Too Hard. So I Have Two Questions Hopefully I Can Get Some Help....

1.) What Could That Noise Be? Could My Tranny Be Going Or Is It An Easy Fix?

2.) There Is A Plastic Hose Running From The TB To The Pass. Side Valve Cover That Broke When I Was Putting The Car Back Together Im guessing It's To Re leave Pressure In The Engine Well It Broke And I Went To Replace With A Steel Braided Line But I Didn't Have The Right Size So I Put A Rubber Hose On It, But Now I Smell Something Burning So Im Guessing That's The Smell. But I Just Wanted To Check Thanks For The Help In Advance.

Vehicle Info 2003 Lincoln LS V8

Ok, I Recently Posted About My VCT Leaking Oil, Well I Fixed That Problem Over The Weekend And Drove The Car A Lot To Make Sure It Was Running Right And Not Overheating And Sending Weird Messages To My Message Center. Well I Drove It On A Trip Yesterday 2 Hours One Way, And The Car Rode Nice No Overheating Or Anything! I Was So Happy That I Fixed It Well On The Way Home From Our Trip I Heard A Slight Clanging Type Of Noise Sounds Like Metal Tapping Together, But Very Slightly Can Only Be Heard With The Radio Off? Then Today My Wife Was Driving The Car Everything Was Good Except She Said When She Would Try And Go Up A Hill The Car Was Very Slugish And The Noise Was A little Bit Louder With Hard Shifting But Not Too Hard. So I Have Two Questions Hopefully I Can Get Some Help....

1.) What Could That Noise Be? Could My Tranny Be Going Or Is It An Easy Fix?

2.) There Is A Plastic Hose Running From The TB To The Pass. Side Valve Cover That Broke When I Was Putting The Car Back Together Im guessing It's To Re leave Pressure In The Engine Well It Broke And I Went To Replace With A Steel Braided Line But I Didn't Have The Right Size So I Put A Rubber Hose On It, But Now I Smell Something Burning So Im Guessing That's The Smell. But I Just Wanted To Check Thanks For The Help In Advance.

Vehicle Info 2003 Lincoln LS V8

That rubber hose has probably melted. It may be the hose for cooling the oil?

That rubber hose has probably melted. It may be the hose for cooling the oil?

Uh, no...

It's a crankcase ventilation hose.

Was any of the hose you substituted sticking inside the valve cover?

ventilation hose... cooler.... same difference! it has oil passing through it right? lol :p

ventilation hose... cooler.... same difference! it has oil passing through it right? lol :p

No, no oil passing through it, just air.

There is a oil to water cooler on the LS. It's at the adapter that the oil filter screws onto. There are hoses that carry the water to the cooler/heat exchanger, but not oil.

AFAIK, there are no hoses on the LS that carry engine oil. (Except for those that have been modified to have a dry sump.)

no, the original hose is plastic with clips on the end so you have to squeeze each side of the hose to pull it off of the male end of the valve cover and male end of the TB, I figured the rubber hose is probably getting to hot that was my first thought, so i will have to replace with a steel braided line because we all know if i go to the dealer that 4" hose will cost probably 80.00 or so..

any luck with my other question about the tranny and noise?? thanks

... because we all know if i go to the dealer that 4" hose will cost probably 80.00 or so...

Why don't you give Max (Five Star Ford) a shot at it first? The price may not be that bad.

My first thought on the noise was possibly a heat shield on the exhaust somewhere. But that wouldn't make any difference in performance. So sorry, if they are related items I got nothing.

Maybe a silly question, but did you remember to hook up the electrical connection on the valve cover? That is the VVT sensor.

yes i did hook up the vct sensor wire, lol. the shifting problem has been going on for a while now it just got worse recently before i did the fix for the vct. actually last night i took the car for a ride and when going up a small incline hill the noise gets loud and the trans seems to jump between gears and shake really really bad before down shifting back to a normal gear? the heat sheilds are ok that was one of the first things i checked? what else to you got for the trans problem? could the noise be a worn trans or motor mount? let me know thanks for all the help so far!

Ok So I Was Driving The LS The Other Day And All Of A Sudden It Got Really Rough And The Idle Was Surging? Then The Check Engine Light Started Blinking? I Came To A Stop, And The Roughness Of The Idle Got Rough. Then As I Drove The Car Would Buck And Have Trouble Shifting Then The Check Engine Light Went Away? After I Got Home I Let The Car Sit For About 4-5 Hours Started It And It Continued To Idle Rough. I Then Shut It Down And Left it Alone, Then Today I Started It And It Seemed Fine Just Kind Of Had A Strong Exhaust Smell Like Gas? Any Ideas? Please Help!!! This Problem Won't Go!

how can i test the coils? or what is the easiest thing to do? thanks let me know

Is there anyway to test the coils? with out replacing them all? because i know they range between 50-65 depending on where you buy them from? thanks for all the help.. let me know!!

You can get a set of 8 coils shipped to you for $160 from alanisdeals on Ebay. I got them in 2 days! But then you will also probably want to do you valve cover gaskets and new plugs right away too. You said your engine light was flashing and the car was doing some funny stuff. From what I've read that could be a lot of stuff. Go to Autozone and they will hook up a scanner and get the trouble codes for you for free. They will even give you a print out of what they are. Post what the codes are on the forum here or search them and then someone can tell you what's up with your car. I had my car shuddering, felt like the tranny, and the engine light was flashing or just staying on plus the car was a dog and had no power. It was all from a bad coil or two so the car was misfiring and caused a few other strange things to happen where the transmission would jump around to a few different gears before it picked one and one time my tach was jumping all over the place. The whole car kind of shook when it idled too, but not all of the time.

:EDIT: I don't know how this thread started with a metal clanking sound from your car to bad coils but who knows? We do own LS's...

lol, well there is this sound of metal clanging when you would go up hills before all this major stuff happened, the sound was like a slight tapping noise coming from the drivers side sounded like something under the hood, i then took it to the dealer multiple times for the same problem and they said they could hear no such thing, and they wouldn't go on a ride along with me either? then it got worse and all this stuff started happening and of coarse it started happening as soon as my warranty ran out (why wouldn't it right?) and my inspection is due next month so i was trying to get everything done before i take it. but thanks for all the help ill keep posting and let everyone know what is going on, ill probably just order the coils and do the gaskets just so it is all good before i take it for inspection.

Ok so i ordered the coils and spark plugs and a couple other things, i actually got the coils for only 142.00 shipped. from the same company you told me to buy from and they came fast here is my next question i started taking apart the covers to get it all ready well i did the passanger side with no problem. then i got to the drivers side and with a little bit of a struggle i got them all out except for one bold on the coil cover. the one next to the fire wall the bottom bolt i can't seem to fit a socket,swivel or anything on the bolt because it seems to hit the brake booster, i know there is a trick so can someone help me out and tell me what it is to get that D*** bolt off? thanks for the help

ok i will try that first thing in the morning and let you know how it goes thanks for the tip!

i know there is a trick so can someone help me out and tell me what it is to get that D*** bolt off? thanks for the help

I just took as much stuff off of that side as I could and then used a short socket with a small extension (2-3") connected to an elbow connected a long extension (6-8") connected to the socket wrench. I went in between the lines of the brake booster and used my other hand to hold the socket in place. It was actually pretty easy.

Hope that helps. I looked for a picture but couldn't find a good one.

O.k. i finally got to getting the drivers side off as it was raining all day so i had to wait, well when i started pulling off the coils i noticed oil around where they connect to the spark plugs? so when i got to the last two on the drivers side they were drenched in oil?? (probably my problem on why the car is not running right) so i then cleaned the oil out as best as i could then proceeded to pull the plugs, as i was pulling the plugs on the drivers side, i was trying to figure out where the oil could be coming from and noticed that the oil fill neck seemed to be lose and there looked to be a little bit of dried up dirt and residue around it, so i wiggled it and realized it was lose, so i then looked and noticed that the two coils with the most oil where the ones closest to the fill neck the one right under the neck and the one closest to the cab. could that be why there is oil in there or could it be coming from somewhere else? i checked the two bolts that hold down the valve cover inside where the coils are and they seemed to be dry? i need to get this car back together any help will be appreciated thanks!!

O.K, so i got the car back together and i just wanted to keep everyone informed that has been helping me on what is going on! the car seems to be running great! so far no problems. The car is going in for inspection next week so my mechanic is going to pull any save codes to see if i fixed the problem which i hope i did! thanks for all the help!!

Good to hear that it's back up and running! Did you actually change all of the gaskets?

Members online

No members online now.
Back