'03 LS oil leaking around oil filter

lsismore

LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

New member here. I read the "before you post" thread and have been searching around for about an hour now. Found a lot of cool totally unrelated stuff in the process - thanks for that.

I have a 2003 LS [edit: V6] that I got from my wife's grandma a couple of years ago with only 23,000 miles. It now has about 60k.

I've had a recurring problem with oil seemingly leaking around the oil filter. It looks like oil just seeps around it and drips to the ground. This has happened with Bosch, K&N and at least one other filter. It's happened after I've changed the oil and filter myself and had it done at a shop - so I don't think it's due to the filter installation or any particular filter.

The most potentially relevant thread I've found is this one: 2000 LS V6 - Oil filter housing leak, fix information

Unfortunately the post only goes as far as the OP taking apart the car to get to the filter housing and ordering replacement gaskets - he never says what happened.

From the information I've given, can anyone tell me if what I'm experiencing is a common problem?

Thank you.

Last edited:
Had this issue on my v8. If I recall its a simple o-ring. Hasnt come back..

Where exactly does the oil leak start from?

Got underneath the car this afternoon and took a good look after driving around to warm up the engine for about 30min. The oil is leaking from the gap between the top of the oil filter and where in threads into the bottom of the car. I didn't see any other leaks.
Thing is, it doesn't always leak. Last time it did it was after I'd driven for about 2 hours on the highway. I parked it and the next day noticed a small puddle right below the filter, which was dripping oil. Maybe 1/4 of a quart.

IMG_9458.jpg

IMG_7398.JPG

IMG_1273.JPG

Between the adapter and the oil filter is only the gasket on the oil filter. If the mating surface on the adapter is good (no scratches or other issues) then you might try a different brand of oil filter and maybe tighten it a little more (not too much). Otherwise, the leak could be from somewhere above where you think it is.

Between the adapter and the oil filter is only the gasket on the oil filter. If the mating surface on the adapter is good (no scratches or other issues) then you might try a different brand of oil filter and maybe tighten it a little more (not too much). Otherwise, the leak could be from somewhere above where you think it is.

I've tried a few different brands but I'll still occasionally get the leak. I did inspect the mating surface and it seemed smooth and free of any damage, cracks or gouges. I realize that the gasket on the filter is doing all the sealing at this juncture, which is why this confuses the hell outta me. It's a simple seal and I don't see why it's not sealing.

I was hoping this was a common problem but it seems like it's not.

I'm going to install a different brand, and while the filter is off do a real good inspection of the mating surface.

I have another long drive ahead of me this weekend so we'll see what happens.

Also - as you can see, there doesn't seem to be any signs of oil leaking from above in the photos. And when I inspected from above and underneath, I didn't see any oil where it shouldn't be. Strange.

I've used Wix filters with no problems so far. Of course, I have actually never had a problem with a filter that I know of. (Mine are V8s, but that shouldn't make any difference here.)

I always use the Motorcraft FL-2021 (on my V8). Most stores don't carry it, but this one O'Reilly auto parts store near my house always has one in stock. One thing I noticed is that some of these filter brands do have a variation in the gasket diameter and thickness. I smear oil around the gasket before mounting the filter and I hand tighten it; then, I have a socket wrench that fits the filter, and tighten the filter 1/2 to 3/4 additional turns..

Last edited:
Following up on this from a while ago. I ended up taking it in to the shop and they said the gasket on the filter was cracked. What's weird is that it was the second K&N I'd installed that was leaking in the same way. My only guess it that even though I was hand-tightening the filter I overdid it. Whatever the case it hasn't leaked since and I've gone back to changing it myself for the past two times. I gave up on K&N for superstitious reasons just the same and now use motorcraft filters.

Following up on this from a while ago. I ended up taking it in to the shop and they said the gasket on the filter was cracked. What's weird is that it was the second K&N I'd installed that was leaking in the same way. My only guess it that even though I was hand-tightening the filter I overdid it. Whatever the case it hasn't leaked since and I've gone back to changing it myself for the past two times. I gave up on K&N for superstitious reasons just the same and now use motorcraft filters.
MotorCraft makes a great oil filter...I have used K&N also but since using MotorCraft I will never use anything else on my LSes and Mustangs

Members online

Back